What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Possible Upsets

Rory

Juniors
I've made some best possible and most likely squads for the upcoming World cup. And it seems most nations can provide A-Grade players without looking to the Kingstone Press, NSW cup or QLD cup. For World cups, personally i'd prefer to have a minimum of 4 players domestically selected for a nation, especially if this world cup turns into a flop, which i really doubt will happen. Anyway, with nations now having abit more depth, these seem to be possible upsets that loom

GROUP A
Australia vs England (I know there apart of the big 3 but England have only beaten Australia twice, ever.
France vs lebanese (not really an upset match cause it will go either way, just an incredibly intriguing game, do or die for france in my opinion)

GROUP B
Firstly looking at Tonga's Possible squad, its not as good as you'd think
NZL vs Scotland (no walker, aitken or galloway, there sqaud can still do it)
NZL vs Samoa (we all know how good samoa could be)
Tonga vs Samoa (tonga have stronger halves pairing)

GROUP C
I get feeling most people will tip PNG to beat Wales and Ireland, which is completely fair enough but dont be so sure. Ireland's best 17 has of the best spines and real mix of youth talent and experience. There best 17 come from NRL and Super League. No lower divisions. I'd like to say the same for Wales, but they just need more depth. Regan Grace and Morgan Knowles have been voted in the top 5 best young players of this super league season which shows the growth.

GROUP D
Fiji vs Italy (If both teams have full strength teams, will be a cracking contest, you'd put your money on Fiji, but you just never know)

Anyone else see anymore upsets happening?

The only "upsets" would be anyone beating the big three or USA beating anyone. All other games are up in the air. I'd predict a winner in most of them but I wouldn't call any results an upset. There's too little between any of teams 4-13 to label anything a true upset.

Burns

First Grade
England winning to start the tournament would be massive. But its England.

NZ on their form from the past 18 months are incredibly vulnerable to Samoa. As ECT said, the rest is up in the air.

I guess PNG not winning all their pool games would be a surprise?

Actually anyone beating Australia would count, even NZ and England.

So anyone beating Australia.
Anyone else beating any of the big three.
And USA beating anyone.

Rory

Juniors
Yeah, USA have got abit more depth, but not alot of experience, unlike 2013

roughyedspud

Coach
Lebanon are going to get surprisingly close to England or Australia and will beat the French no problem...

adamkungl

Immortal
France will beat Lebanon. Poorest squad in the comp imo

Edit. OK I just saw the USA squad. Good on them for picking domestic players but they will find it tough

Rory

Juniors
yeah like imo, i think everyone is giving france rough treatment. I know there 2 first choice fullbacks arnt there, but Thomas Bosc will fill the void, hes one of the greatest french players of the modern era. And there forward pack isnt too bad either. There halves are pretty good, and hooker, i can see them beating Lebanon.

Storm13

Juniors
yeah like imo, i think everyone is giving france rough treatment. I know there 2 first choice fullbacks arnt there, but Thomas Bosc will fill the void, hes one of the greatest french players of the modern era. And there forward pack isnt too bad either. There halves are pretty good, and hooker, i can see them beating Lebanon.
Bosc has retired so not sure if he will play the WC.

Doubt it. They'll have to use a semi pro player at fullback most likely. I don't know which players in their squad are fullbacks or can play there. Albert could have if he was picked.

Billythekid

First Grade
Actually anyone beating Australia would count, even NZ and England.

So anyone beating Australia.
Anyone else beating any of the big three.
And USA beating anyone.

This is spot on IMO. Also as far as the casual viewer is concerned I think the only upset that matters is beating Australia. Like every year Australia will be talked up as the run away favourite. Hopefully someone at least challenges them.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I think Australia v England could give us an upset in the opening match. England have to go all out. This is practically a semi-final.

If NZ play like they have in recent internationals Samoa will cause them massive problems

Again, if NZ play to recent form Scotland have the belief (I don't see it happening again though)

Coastbloke

Bench
Surely they could have a warm up against France in England given their lack of games there, although it's too late now..

StadiumXIII

Juniors
In Group A I'd like to see either or England defeat Australia, Lebanon defeat England, France defeat England.

Group B Samoa get a victory over NZ would be huge for the sport in Samoa or Tonga get one over NZ.. not sure the Scots could beat NZ in NZ but who knows..

Group C PNG or Wales.. not sure if the Irish getting a victory will generate much publicity in Ireland.

Group D USA getting any type of win would be a huge confidence booster for their domestic players that they can compete with the best of the world.. Italy getting a win over Fiji would be interesting as well.

In the intergroup matches if Ireland, Wales or USA got a win they would be considered upsets..

In the finals anyone knocking off England, Australia or NZ would be massive for the International game.