What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldPanther

Coach
Found this in the SMH from yesterday morning...not sure if it's already been posted but here you go.

Good signs for Moylan

Matt Moylan seems to be in a much better head space. He spent time with his Panthers teammates celebrating Mad Monday after watching their season come to an end at the hands of the Broncos. Club insiders have noticed a huge improvement in his commitment to his rehabilitation, one of the issues at the surface of tension between the player and coach Anthony Griffin. The club would have had a huge decision to make this week had they knocked over Brisbane given five-eighth Tyrone May ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament and Moylan had been progressing with both his hamstring rehab and counselling. As it stands, the Panthers are planning to start next year with Moylan in the halves and have been toying with the thought of shifting May into the lock position if he bulked up over the off-season. Moylan, however, is still no certainty to remain at the club next year. He hasn't asked for a release but will have some time over the coming weeks to determine if Penrith is where he wants to continue his NRL career.

Better than the usual doom articles. Sounds like the hamstring is still gone if this is to be believed.

Frankus

Juniors
The forwards and back five got us to the red zone continuously. Even against sides like the Storm. Then it just went flat because the halves were inexperienced, not gelling or were injured. Hook has to get them working better next year, or it is time to move on.
Exactly. Fix our attack in that 20m zone and we go to another level as a side. And dare I say it, we are probably genuine contenders if we had another 20 tries in us this season.

Frankus

Juniors
A full offseason with Moylan/ Cleary and Edwards training together should be enough.
True (on the assumption Moylan stays). I think Edwards needs to add a small element of ball playing to his game. At the moment he is too much like a Minichello or RTS type fullback which is great but the team needs that added play maker threat.

If we had Moylan, Cleary, Cartwright and Edwards all creating chances in the right structure we would be a nightmare for any defence. At the moment we are one dimensional and predictable.

Pomoz

Bench
True (on the assumption Moylan stays). I think Edwards needs to add a small element of ball playing to his game. At the moment he is too much like a Minichello or RTS type fullback which is great but the team needs that added play maker threat.

If we had Moylan, Cleary, Cartwright and Edwards all creating chances in the right structure we would be a nightmare for any defence. At the moment we are one dimensional and predictable.
I watched him a few times in u20's and he used to ball play then. I think it could be confidence thing and is thinking keep it simple and get a regular first grade spot first, then add other elements to my game. Billy Slater (I am not saying he can be or is as good as Billy Slater) did not do much ball playing when he started. He just used his speed and balance. His ball playing came later.

Frankus

Juniors
I watched him a few times in u20's and he used to ball play then. I think it could be confidence thing and is thinking keep it simple and get a regular first grade spot first, then add other elements to my game. Billy Slater (I am not saying he can be or is as good as Billy Slater) did not do much ball playing when he started. He just used his speed and balance. His ball playing came later.
Absolutely. The 20s is a very different game though. Alot more time and space.

With regards to Slater and fullbacks in general, times have changed significantly. Look at most fullbacks from that era - there were no recognised ball playing fullbacks with the exception of Lockyer. Did Wesser ever pass the ball? Lockyer revolutionized the fullback position in that regard and most have had to adapt/mold their game on the Lockyer blueprint since.

Pomoz

Bench
Absolutely. The 20s is a very different game though. Alot more time and space.

With regards to Slater and fullbacks in general, times have changed significantly. Look at most fullbacks from that era - there were no recognised ball playing fullbacks with the exception of Lockyer. Did Wesser ever pass the ball? Lockyer revolutionized the fullback position in that regard and most have had to adapt/mold their game on the Lockyer blueprint since.
Wesser did pass the ball once but I think what actually happened was he fumbled it and somebody else caught it. God he was quick over the first 40m though. Poetry in motion.

Who would you have as hooker to complete spine?
Depends if Wallace can get his body right. If he can I'd start him with either Katoa/Egan (whoever has the better pre-season) on the bench. If not then Rein has to become an option and I really don't rate him.
Wallace becomes even more important if Moylan leaves. We might struggle to make the 8 with such a young spine

Merrin makes huge call on Moylan's Panthers future

Penrith back-rower Trent Merrin insists injured skipper Matt Moylan loves the NRL club and won't be leaving amid rumours of a rift with teammates.

The former NSW back-rower was adamant Moylan would be staying with the club at the foot of the Blue Mountains for the 2018 NRL season, despite reports Manly, Cronulla and Wests Tigers are interested in the playmaker.

"He loves the place, he doesn't want to go anywhere," Merrin told Sky Sports Radio on Thursday.

"That's the feedback I'm getting from him, so it's all positive from my end."

Moylan missed the Panthers' finals campaign after taking time out to deal with personal issues, but Merrin was adamant there had not been a falling out within the playing group.
"It's just all rumours," he said.
"I'm not too sure what people are saying but us as players, we know what Moyza is, and how much he means to this team, and that's all that matters."

Merrin said Moylan joined the end of season festivities with the rest of the players and had been a steadying influence on the young halves pairing of Nathan Cleary and Tyrone May during the finals.

Speculation has grown that Moylan is uncomfortable with the captaincy but Merrin expects the 26-year-old to continue in that role next season.

"If things are too much I'm guessing he'd address it," Merrin said.

"But I don't think that's the case."
https://au.sports.yahoo.com/league/...es-huge-call-on-matt-moylans-panthers-future/

martielang

Bench
If we have both Cleary & Moylan fit, I'm not too sure Edwards needs to improve his ball playing that much. I think it just got blown out of proportion because May isn't particularly much of a ball player & Cleary was left on his own.

Edwards started as a half didn't he?

If we have both Cleary & Moylan fit, I'm not too sure Edwards needs to improve his ball playing that much. I think it just got blown out of proportion because May isn't particularly much of a ball player & Cleary was left on his own.

Yes Edwards was a 5/8 for Bellingen/Dorrigo Magpies before coming to us.

betcats

Referee
Well that's good news if it works out to be true. That being said I hope they can get taking his commitments a little bit more seriously.

Edwards ball playing is good enough imo. Our attack has to be creating something for the ball players to take advantage, that's true even for a ball player of Moylans skills, he wouldn't of done much with the ball Edwards was getting, maybe one of those freakish tip ons he pulls off sometimes.

If anything its Nathan who needs to look at his options, he was the one who had multiple chances to take advantage of Moga and never did, that being said he is young with a very full plate already, cant expect him to do it all and see it all at 19. Again this is where our coaching just falls short, after the second time we ran that short ball the word should of gone out, and those plays both short and out the back need to be 500 times more fluent, when we did try to go out the back to Edwards the timing and spacing was woeful. That's all training, they need to be running that shit 1000 times a week until they can do it with their eyes closed, then we will have one basic play to use that is as well drilled as the storm.

OldPanther

Coach

Completely agree. They just need to give Edwards better ball.

Well that's good news if it works out to be true. That being said I hope they can get taking his commitments a little bit more seriously.

Edwards ball playing is good enough imo. Our attack has to be creating something for the ball players to take advantage, that's true even for a ball player of Moylans skills, he wouldn't of done much with the ball Edwards was getting, maybe one of those freakish tip ons he pulls off sometimes.

If anything its Nathan who needs to look at his options, he was the one who had multiple chances to take advantage of Moga and never did, that being said he is young with a very full plate already, cant expect him to do it all and see it all at 19. Again this is where our coaching just falls short, after the second time we ran that short ball the word should of gone out, and those plays both short and out the back need to be 500 times more fluent, when we did try to go out the back to Edwards the timing and spacing was woeful. That's all training, they need to be running that shit 1000 times a week until they can do it with their eyes closed, then we will have one basic play to use that is as well drilled as the storm.

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." - Bruce Lee.

roofromoz

First Grade

The "puke" play as used in Semi Pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts