What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Crowd Watch

papabear

Juniors
Ha

So they do

My mistake
Do you really think its a good idea to make posts about the storms premierships, inferring the lower count coz of the celery scandal when your one and only premiership came only a year or two after your blokes were on the elephant juice?

StadiumXIII

Juniors
Only match I've been to this year is Wests Tigers vs North Qld at Campbelltown. TBH NRL teams need to play in front of their home fans instead of ANZ Stadium. Thats the only real way a team is going to grow and for juniors to have ambition to play on professionally one day. Even during the finals, the only match that should be played at ANZ is the Grand final. End of.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Only match I've been to this year is Wests Tigers vs North Qld at Campbelltown. TBH NRL teams need to play in front of their home fans instead of ANZ Stadium. Thats the only real way a team is going to grow and for juniors to have ambition to play on professionally one day. Even during the finals, the only match that should be played at ANZ is the Grand final. End of.

There was 9,346 people there lol
your plan seems sound!

POPEYE

Coach
Like the membership list is there an official crowd list attributed to each team . . . it would have to be at least as infallible as the DM's

carcharias

Immortal
Do you really think its a good idea to make posts about the storms premierships, inferring the lower count coz of the celery scandal when your one and only premiership came only a year or two after your blokes were on the elephant juice?
Yes

Emu01

Juniors
2ky's Big Sports Breakfast show was just saying that channel 9 were mentioning $15 tickets for the Roosters v Cowboys game last night.

At least the message is getting out there.

I still reckon the Nrl should advertise the cheaper tickets better On Tv and radio with ads.

Last edited:

footy75

Bench
But we are off crowds so I'll leave it there, carry on with the AFL hating peeps.

The level of hating by some individuals is hilarious.

Storm v Broncos sell out.
Roosters v Cowboys should be awesome crowd... expecting a warmish evening in Sydney. Stay the fk away rain.

adamkungl

Immortal

Well he said "End of." so I guess that's that.

On a side note, Dragons have announced they will play no games at ANZ next year, with a 5-5 split between their local grounds + Anzac Day at the SFS, and the 12th game 'open to commercial opportunities' aka likely to be sold to Gosford or interstate.

Surely they should play a game in the bush. Isn't that meant to be happening anyway, for all
clubs? They should play the Cowboys in Mt Isa or the Titans in Toowoomba or Lismore or something.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors

On a side note, Dragons have announced they will play no games at ANZ next year, with a 5-5 split between their local grounds + Anzac Day at the SFS, and the 12th game 'open to commercial opportunities' aka likely to be sold to Gosford or interstate.

Good on them. Hope more teams do it and that it makes the nsw premier squirm a little when Nrl teams are backing away from Anz/Allianz. Maybe after Bruce Gordons media debacle he might look to help upgrade St George's stadiums.

hutch

First Grade
Crowds at anz are much bigger than at suburban grounds tho. If we want crowds to grow even further we need bigger crowds at stadiums.
There's still a place for suburban grounds, but there is also a place for (improved) stadiums for bigger rivalry games.

Raiderdave

First Grade

Retrograde backward step by the dragons
How are you going to sell yourself to corporates at WIN & Kogarah when there aren't enough facilities at either venue , their 3/3 at suburban grounds for the diehards , & 6 at proper stadia split to grow as an entity was their future
Honestly , some people running our clubs simply have no idea ....

Perth Red

Post Whore
Retrograde backward step by the dragons
How are you going to sell yourself to corporates at WIN & Kogarah when there aren't enough facilities at either venue , their 3/3 at suburban grounds for the diehards , & 6 at proper stadia split to grow as an entity was their future
Honestly , some people running our clubs simply have no idea ....

Given how cash strapped they are and ANZ's generous payments to play there its an interesting commercial decision. Do they really think they'll make more money playing 6 games at Kogarah? WIN I can understand as they need to keep a strong regional fanbase down there.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Watched the NRL360 Greenburg interview last night. Geez could he be any more non directive about how to solve the problems? We are investigating, we are looking at, we have that under consideration. Did we actually hear any firm solutions to any of the games problems thrown at him, especially in crowds? Does he know that 7 of the 16 clubs aren't in Sydney and wont be impacted by the Sydney stadium strategy?

I predict the 2018-2023 strategic plan is going to be very light on with any quantitative fan targets after the failure of the last one if that interview is anything to go by.

Reactions: Vee

adamkungl

Immortal
If I was running the Dragons.. there are a number of models I'd consider.
Firstly I don't think the 4-4-4 split makes anyone happy. It's a compromise in mediocrity where no one is furious but no one is truly happy. Especially taking into account ANZ being a total soulless shithole.

So - there's the expansionist model, in which I'd hold 8 games in Wollongong, 3 at Kogarah, and 1 (either ANZAC Day or vs Souths in the odd-year) at the SFS.
But this wouldn't fly with the traditional fanbase - it would be a long term view and a long term investment in Wollongong as the future at the expense of some rocky relations with the Kogarah devotees.

The less divisive model would be similar to what they've decided on next year, an even split Sydney to Wollongong.
Wollongong 6, Sydney 6. The Sydney 6 would be 5 Kogarah 1 SFS every year.
Selling the 12th game interstate is a mistake for a club that is already split between 2 regions.

Both suggested models have a long term vision of what the club should be and have more investment in their local fans.
Re: the SFS game i've included, I think there's potential for every club to develop an annual public holiday Big Game. Dragons and Roosters already have one - ANZAC Day - but we miss out on the home game privileges every 2nd year. We should alternate the June Long weekend against a 3rd club to make up for it:
Eg.
2018 - ANZAC Day, Dragons v Roosters. June LW, Roosters v Souths
2019 - ANZAC Day, Roosters v Dragons, June LW, Dragons v Souths
Both clubs get a guaranteed 40k crowd every year, putting us top of the Sydney pile.

BestHookerRein

Juniors
If I was running the Dragons.. there are a number of models I'd consider.
Firstly I don't think the 4-4-4 split makes anyone happy. It's a compromise in mediocrity where no one is furious but no one is truly happy. Especially taking into account ANZ being a total soulless shithole.

So - there's the expansionist model, in which I'd hold 8 games in Wollongong, 3 at Kogarah, and 1 (either ANZAC Day or vs Souths in the odd-year) at the SFS.
But this wouldn't fly with the traditional fanbase - it would be a long term view and a long term investment in Wollongong as the future at the expense of some rocky relations with the Kogarah devotees.

The less divisive model would be similar to what they've decided on next year, an even split Sydney to Wollongong.
Wollongong 6, Sydney 6. The Sydney 6 would be 5 Kogarah 1 SFS every year.
Selling the 12th game interstate is a mistake for a club that is already split between 2 regions.

Both suggested models have a long term vision of what the club should be and have more investment in their local fans.
Re: the SFS game i've included, I think there's potential for every club to develop an annual public holiday Big Game. Dragons and Roosters already have one - ANZAC Day - but we miss out on the home game privileges every 2nd year. We should alternate the June Long weekend against a 3rd club to make up for it:
Eg.
2018 - ANZAC Day, Dragons v Roosters. June LW, Roosters v Souths
2019 - ANZAC Day, Roosters v Dragons, June LW, Dragons v Souths
Both clubs get a guaranteed 40k crowd every year, putting us top of the Sydney pile.

f**k off merkin

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Watched the NRL360 Greenburg interview last night. Geez could he be any more non directive about how to solve the problems? We are investigating, we are looking at, we have that under consideration. Did we actually hear any firm solutions to any of the games problems thrown at him, especially in crowds? Does he know that 7 of the 16 clubs aren't in Sydney and wont be impacted by the Sydney stadium strategy?

I predict the 2018-2023 strategic plan is going to be very light on with any quantitative fan targets after the failure of the last one if that interview is anything to go by.

Are you trying to complain, just because? or are you always this negative about your favorite sport?

I saw Greenberg on 360 and i didn't think he was that bad. I would think most issues that were brought up could always be improved so saying "we are looking at/investigating" seems reasonable to me. Crowds he said, will improve once the Sydney stadiums get sorted. Which is out of his hands and in nsw premiers now. Cowboys, broncos, storm, Canberra, Newcastle are all doing pretty good with crowds but could always improve. Titans and nz have had issues lately so I'm sure they will get back on track. Hardly all Nrls and greenbergs fault. During the year it's the clubs that look after game day events. Not the Nrls or greenbergs job. They should consult and help which he said he would do.

He answered Kent and rothfield quite easily with regard to refs. As much as everyone wants to bash refs and the bunker, the facts are more decisions are right and made quicker than ever before, but yet everyone still whinges. He said the players, coaches and media need to be promote the game instead of pulling it down, which is so true. Stop reporting on a 50/50 decision as wrong and just accept the decision. Let's hope the Nrl media fix that up.

He said that the "play Nrl" msg to grassroots has been problematic and the new strategic plan will have a new direction. And I'm not sure if it's just me but I would think that a 2012/2017 strategic plan should be reviewed for future years? Don't you think? There will be KPIs included like all plans but probably not as daring as 2012/17 was.

You would of bitched and moaned if he blamed everyone else for the problems so either way the Nrl cops criticism.

3 things the clubs in the past have had to look after.
1. There own finances
2. Grassroots
3. Crowds/event day at there home grounds

Maybe the nrl should let the clubs run everything?

sometimes the Nrl glass is half full believe it or not.