What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Crowd Watch

Perth Red

Post Whore
Are you trying to complain, just because? or are you always this negative about your favorite sport?

I saw Greenberg on 360 and i didn't think he was that bad. I would think most issues that were brought up could always be improved so saying "we are looking at/investigating" seems reasonable to me. Crowds he said, will improve once the Sydney stadiums get sorted. Which is out of his hands and in nsw premiers now. Cowboys, broncos, storm, Canberra, Newcastle are all doing pretty good with crowds but could always improve. Titans and nz have had issues lately so I'm sure they will get back on track. Hardly all Nrls and greenbergs fault. During the year it's the clubs that look after game day events. Not the Nrls or greenbergs job. They should consult and help which he said he would do.

He answered Kent and rothfield quite easily with regard to refs. As much as everyone wants to bash refs and the bunker, the facts are more decisions are right and made quicker than ever before, but yet everyone still whinges. He said the players, coaches and media need to be promote the game instead of pulling it down, which is so true. Stop reporting on a 50/50 decision as wrong and just accept the decision. Let's hope the Nrl media fix that up.

He said that the "play Nrl" msg to grassroots has been problematic and the new strategic plan will have a new direction. And I'm not sure if it's just me but I would think that a 2012/2017 strategic plan should be reviewed for future years? Don't you think? There will be KPIs included like all plans but probably not as daring as 2012/17 was.

You would of bitched and moaned if he blamed everyone else for the problems so either way the Nrl cops criticism.

3 things the clubs in the past have had to look after.
1. There own finances
2. Grassroots
3. Crowds/event day at there home grounds

Maybe the nrl should let the clubs run everything?

sometimes the Nrl glass is half full believe it or not.

I'll give you the refs, he answered it well and strongly. He also answered well on taking finals games back to shtty suburban stadiums.
The rest was guff that indicated little idea or an unwillingness to share the ideas they have. Rothfield on cost of attending, answer we have some $15 nose bleed cheap seats for finals available. On jnrs and size differences, we are changing our branding to make it more relevant to parents (how having play rugby league instead of play NRL addresses anything I'm not sure?). On the independent commission no longer being independent if clubs and states get seats, errrm ahh.
He once again said Sydney crowds only changed up or down by1 or 2% over last couple of decades, this is a lie. the drop in Sydney clubs from 2012 to this year is 20%! We've still no players agree,ment, but that's ok because it doesn't run out until October.

Not as daring? At the time it was written crowds were on the way up and had hit 16.4k. With all the new money I don't think a crowd avg of 20k was that daring. Maybe this next one will have a kpi of get crowds back to where they were when the commission took over?
But glad you are with Grant and are "comfortable" with the last 5 years performance and what lies ahead.

Jamberoo

Juniors
I can guarantee those wanting to go to a game in the wet at in Melbourne would be much more likely to go if it were at Etihad than the MCG unless its a big rivalry game. Sydney gets a roofed stadium, it would be of great benefit to crowd numbers. A roof on a big stadium like ANZ would be quite the commitment to that stadium. Would a roof be better off at a centralised location like Allianz which could hold similar crowd sizes to Etihad?
Actually like for like crowds are 20% higher at the MCG compared to the roofed Etihad. For footy and BBL. Stadium grandstands have roofs, so makes little difference to supporter experience if there is a roof - just sit undercover. Save the extra tens of millions on a roof and just get it done Sydney.

Jamberoo

Juniors
It's not wrong, it's a matter of preference. While you have yours, I'd prefer a dry Etihad to watch my team than a wet MCG and I know others who are the same. I would think there's a number of Sydney people that would be tipped over to go to a game on a wet day/night if it were under a roof. There's plenty of people in here who believe that the poor Sydney weather played a massive role in declining crowd numbers early this year. A roof on at least one major Sydney stadium would have insulated this drop in some way.
How many seats are currently undercover at SFS? Surely it is the cold, and wet journey to the ground that purs people off going out, not that the games quality might be affected by rain.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Actually like for like crowds are 20% higher at the MCG compared to the roofed Etihad. For footy and BBL. Stadium grandstands have roofs, so makes little difference to supporter experience if there is a roof - just sit undercover. Save the extra tens of millions on a roof and just get it done Sydney.

Problem is Australian architects don't know how to build stand cover that actually keeps the whole stand dry. The concept of protruding the drip line out beyond the bottom row of seats seems lost on them! Even at AAMI I moved from my expensive sideline seats as the rain poured off the top of the stand onto the seats and ended up behind the sticks high up to stay dry. A full roof is the only guarantee of dry seats it would seem in this country.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
I'll give you the refs, he answered it well and strongly. He also answered well on taking finals games back to shtty suburban stadiums.
The rest was guff that indicated little idea or an unwillingness to share the ideas they have. Rothfield on cost of attending, answer we have some $15 nose bleed cheap seats for finals available. On jnrs and size differences, we are changing our branding to make it more relevant to parents (how having play rugby league instead of play NRL addresses anything I'm not sure?). On the independent commission no longer being independent if clubs and states get seats, errrm ahh.
He once again said Sydney crowds only changed up or down by1 or 2% over last couple of decades, this is a lie. the drop in Sydney clubs from 2012 to this year is 20%! We've still no players agree,ment, but that's ok because it doesn't run out until October.

Not as daring? At the time it was written crowds were on the way up and had hit 16.4k. With all the new money I don't think a crowd avg of 20k was that daring. Maybe this next one will have a kpi of get crowds back to where they were when the commission took over?
But glad you are with Grant and are "comfortable" with the last 5 years performance and what lies ahead.

I had no idea what buzz was getting at with the $15 tickets comment. I'm not sure off your issue. Do you want the $15 ticket to be halfway on the sideline just above the players dugout? Cheapest ticket should be in the cheapest area. Can't see what's wrong with that? First finals week crowds definitey could of been better but 2nd week was great and this weekend is tracking great to. Maybe the nrl needs to take back some club funding and do the stadium deals on behalf of the clubs?

Play Nrl - Comparing jr rugby league to the Nrl could be worrying parents. Makes sense to change the message to parents.

I'm against the commission changes by allowing clubs on the commission but as we have seen over the past 2 years everyone thinks they are the Nrl. Clubs, players and the states. They all want a say and want input. The Nrl is giving them this opportunity. It's still overall independent so that's a good thing.

Sydney crowds are shit because the bigger Sydney teams went crap this year. These clubs need to try and keep there fans turning up even in lean years.

I'm not totally comfortable with Grant or Greenberg at all. But I'm accepting of the issues that the Nrl and clubs face. I don't have an agenda here to push. I just think a lot of issues are at play and next year will be the start of a massive growth period.

King Ben

Juniors
For those who compare us to the NFL, this is what happened in San Francisco today when the NFL scheduled the 49'ers for a 5.30pm Thursday night game.
PlNoMpd.jpg

Canard

Immortal
For those who compare us to the NFL, this is what happened in San Francisco today when the NFL scheduled the 49'ers for a 5.30pm Thursday night game.
PlNoMpd.jpg

Isn't there stadium miles away from downtown and there crowds have been poor for years? A bit of an Olympic Park scenario.

Same for the relocated LA teams.

King Ben

Juniors
Isn't there stadium miles away from downtown and there crowds have been poor for years? A bit of an Olympic Park scenario.

Correct. It's as far away from downtown as Penrith is from the Sydney CBD. A bad decision on the same level as our 6pm Friday games.

The relocated LA crowds are just a disaster, another case altogether.

Billythekid

First Grade
PlNoMpd.jpg

Doesn't really seem like all that great of a slot for TV ratings either. Though I guess their games go for hours so they need to start them earlier.

King Ben

Juniors
Doesn't really seem like all that great of a slot for TV ratings either. Though I guess their games go for hours so they need to start them earlier.
5.30pm is 8.30pm on the East Coast so I understand their reasoning. It's just bizarre scheduling, like if we had Brisbane play at 5pm because it's 6pm with Daylight Savings in Sydney.

beave

Coach

Nothing to do with the length of game mate. All to do with getting the game into the loungerooms of the east coast peeps at prime time.

beave

Coach
Correct. It's as far away from downtown as Penrith is from the Sydney CBD. A bad decision on the same level as our 6pm Friday games.

The relocated LA crowds are just a disaster, another case altogether.

This is the $60US view at the Coliseum for a pre-season game I went to a month ago.

7DAF23C8-0F83-4841-8908-C61EE83CFFE9_zpsplfwnbno.jpg

The stadium is f**king horrendous. It runs E/W so the sun sets behind the video screen and was really challenging for the Cowboys kick returner in the first qtr (he actually dropped one and it was obvious he ‘lost it’ in the sun)

The view was really shit and the facilities are well behind whats required this day and age.

And the area around the LA Coliseum is sketchy as hell. I don’t blame people for not wanting to go to games there.

POPEYE

Coach
This is the $60US view at the Coliseum for a pre-season game I went to a month ago.

The stadium is f**king horrendous. It runs E/W so the sun sets behind the video screen and was really challenging for the Cowboys kick returner in the first qtr (he actually dropped one and it was obvious he ‘lost it’ in the sun)

The view was really shit and the facilities are well behind whats required this day and age.

And the area around the LA Coliseum is sketchy as hell. I don’t blame people for not wanting to go to games there.
Anyone who thinks NFL is a sport deserves this

Jamberoo

Juniors
Bullshit
The AFL just changed the name of COLA
It's now rent assistance or some shit

Plus the extra cola that SYD got (pre bullshit headline about COLA being stopped) is still payable to players like Bundy f**kloon because they were signed before cola was stopped .
So any player who was signed before 20016 or 17
Still gets COLA till their contract is finished .

There's the truth & there's the AFL media version of truth

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ut-rent-subsidy-on-way-in-20140520-zrj5l.html

Sydney's controversial cost-of-living allowance will be removed by the start of the 2017 season but the AFL will compensate the Swans with a new rent subsidy, which the league will pay directly to footballers earning less than the average players' wage.

However, Greater Western Sydney appears to have been successful in its push to retain an additional $1 million in its salary cap, which the AFL will continue to support in recognition of the unique challenges faced by the Giants as they battle to establish themselves. GWS players will also receive the rental subsidy from the start of 2017.

The cost-of-living allowance that affords the two Sydney-based clubs an extra 9.8 per cent worth of salary cap room will be phased out - in the Swans' case over 2015 and 2016 - with all existing contracts, including Lance Franklin's, to be honoured going forward.

Instead the AFL will directly allocate an estimated $15,000 to every player on the lower side of the wage spectrum. By 2017 the qualification ceiling for rent subsidy is expected to include all footballers earning below an annual $300,000.

RELATED ARTICLES
1. The afl has a draft. You cannot buy players except for the rare 'free agent'. I think the Swans have two - Franklin and Tippet (who plays second grade).
2. What does this have to do with NRL crowds? To show that crowds will rise if you are winning? Of course they will. Unless you are the Roosters.

King Ben

Juniors

That's awful. I was just reading about how poorly planned the San Francisco stadium is - 3/4 of the stadium is blinded by the sun during any day games and it's forever away from the city.

They should never have allowed the 2 teams to relocate to LA before the new stadium is ready. The new stadium looks like it'll be amazing but still in a sketchy area.

Although this was my $80US view for the NY Giants pre-season game last month so I can't complain.
kxoRk98.jpg

Hank_Scorpio

Juniors
That's awful. I was just reading about how poorly planned the San Francisco stadium is - 3/4 of the stadium is blinded by the sun during any day games and it's forever away from the city.

They should never have allowed the 2 teams to relocate to LA before the new stadium is ready. The new stadium looks like it'll be amazing but still in a sketchy area.

Although this was my $80US view for the NY Giants pre-season game last month so I can't complain.
kxoRk98.jpg
MetLife is a tricky stadium to get to but the regular season game I saw against the packers was the single best live sport experience I've had. The atmosphere was amazing. Despite distance they fill that place regularly. They do game day experiences very well

King Ben

Juniors
MetLife is a tricky stadium to get to but the regular season game I saw against the packers was the single best live sport experience I've had. The atmosphere was amazing. Despite distance they fill that place regularly. They do game day experiences very well
Agreed. For a game with SO many stoppages, they know how to fill it in with something (although I would debate the merits of a drumming team). I found the bus from Port Authority the best way to get there / back. $6 each way, direct and runs every 10 minutes and waiting for you after the game.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade

It's like 50miles from San Fran downtown like in a total different town on way to silicon valley

Latest posts