What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG Hunters claim the 2017 ISC Minor Premiership

mikail-eagle

Bench
Win or loose Hunters fans from within QLD and even back in PNG are flocking to Brisbane this weekend.

Out of Port Moresby flights have been full since Thursday and Friday and booked out for today and Sunday.

Air Nuigini have had to include an additional flight which arrives Brissy Sunday morning and departs back for Port Moresby 10:30pm. And every passenger on this extra Sunday flight have had their fares subsidized 50% by the Governor of Port Moresby.

Chip Kick

Juniors
after all the excitement and emotion has subsided, the men take a knee

Hats off to Tui Kamikamica
Fiji will definitely have a team in NSWRL

Attachments

• PNG HUnters Praying.jpg
    PNG HUnters Praying.jpg
    590.7 KB · Views: 3

davi

Juniors
Really disappointing loss for PNG today against Penrith Panthers in the NRL State Championship. The scary thing is the 42 - 18 score line isn't really a reflection of how dominant Penrith was. The score was 38 - 2 at the half and Penrith really took the pedal off in the second half and PNG scored three late tries when Penrith were down to 12 players.

PNG have a lot of physically strong players, but they don't have the size in forwards that some of other other teams in the World Cup will have. They really struggled to get out of their half today and Penrith was punching holes through the middle which must be addressed if they want to become a force in the World Cup.

I'd be interested to know how many of the Hunters will play in World Cup with PNG including NRL players. I'd presume Ase Boas would be a certainty to make the team. Despite my criticism it's been a very successful year for PNG Rugby league. Keep up the good work!

axe&smash&crush

Juniors
Yes i too am interested to see the line up. I know there are a few png players in the lower grades in england who will make the team. Should be quite a few hunters.

In my opinion league has reached no great heights in 2017, lacked a narrative, poor attendance, growing apathy in my circles. But the hunters have been a highlight, as have toronto and castleford great seasons. Im sure the full houses in png for their home matches will be great to see and boost the vibe of the world cup. Sadly Sydney only have the two wc matches, which is another story

StadiumXIII

Juniors
Really disappointing loss for PNG today against Penrith Panthers in the NRL State Championship. The scary thing is the 42 - 18 score line isn't really a reflection of how dominant Penrith was. The score was 38 - 2 at the half and Penrith really took the pedal off in the second half and PNG scored three late tries when Penrith were down to 12 players.

PNG have a lot of physically strong players, but they don't have the size in forwards that some of other other teams in the World Cup will have. They really struggled to get out of their half today and Penrith was punching holes through the middle which must be addressed if they want to become a force in the World Cup.

I'd be interested to know how many of the Hunters will play in World Cup with PNG including NRL players. I'd presume Ase Boas would be a certainty to make the team. Despite my criticism it's been a very successful year for PNG Rugby league. Keep up the good work!

Most of the Hunters players will be there throw in guys like Alex Johnston, David Mead, James Segeyaro, Luke Page. They'll lack the size in the forwards for sure but against Wales, Ireland and the US I don't think it will matter. During the later stages of the WC is where they'll struggle.

They'll probably run into England in the quarters or possibly even Australia so that'll be the end anyway. If they can win three games at home against those tier 2 teams it will be a very good result. And I think they will.

mikail-eagle

Bench
The Hunters looked like a very tired team in that first half yesterday. The attitude that they have displayed all year in defence just wasn't there. They showed it a little in the 2nd half when they kept the Panthers to a single try.

And in hindsight maybe they should have just stayed in Brisbane after their ISC Grand Final win instead of travelling back to PNG on a Monday, train 2 days Wednesday and Thursday and than flying an even longer distance to Sydney on a Friday.

deal.with.it

Juniors
Yes they should have stayed in aus.
Also should have taken a tap and built pressure/tire penrith rather than take the 2.
In the end, penrith had all the ball and png got tired. However has the ball the most usually wins.

davi

Juniors
PNG getting ready to size up for the World Cup, according to the Courier Mail PNG Hunters halves Ase and Watson Boas and fullback Stargroth Amean are getting interest from NRL clubs.

PNG Hunters put themselves in NRL shop window at World Cup

THE PNG Hunters will put Sunday’s Intrust Super Championship loss behind them, as they prepare to prove their worth to NRL teams through their upcoming World Cup preparations.

The Intrust Super Cup premiers were handed a shock loss over the weekend, as they fell 42-18 to their NSW Cup counterparts, the Penrith Panthers.

It was a sour end to what has been a stellar, history-making season for the Hunters, with their form also attracting NRL interest in a few players.

It is understood fullback Stargroth Amean and star five-eighth Ase Boas have attracted some interest from NRL clubs, while halfback Watson Boas also had teams sniffing around him after he starred for the Kumuls in their May Test against the Cook Islands.

Hunters and Kumuls coach Michael Marum was reluctant to discuss which players had come into calculations for a move to Australia at the end of the year, but said they hoped to progress the talks over the coming weeks.

“We had a discussion with some players but it’s only discussions,” Marum said.

“We’ll speak to a few players again at some point.”

His skipper, Ase Boas, was also unsure what the future held for him, but he said if there was NRL interest, he would be open to a move.

“Whatever NRL team wants to look at me, I don’t even mind,” he said.

The World Cup will give the Hunters players the best chance to reignite any interest, with Amean and the Boas brothers all expected to be named in Marum’s Kumuls squad on Wednesday before the players go into camp on Thursday.

Marum said this is where most of his attention lies at the moment, as he prepares to assemble a team with plenty of NRL experience.

Bronco David Mead will be one of the first selected with Alex Johnston, Nene Macdonald, Kurt Baptiste, James Segeyaro and Burleigh’s Luke Page all expected to be named as well.

“We got all the players coming into camp on the fifth,” Marum said.

“It’s going to be a good side we’re putting together.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...p/news-story/dd391b0b4e739ad36d7a166eeff8e004

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
PNG getting ready to size up for the World Cup, according to the Courier Mail PNG Hunters halves Ase and Watson Boas and fullback Stargroth Amean are getting interest from NRL clubs.

THE PNG Hunters will put Sunday’s Intrust Super Championship loss behind them, as they prepare to prove their worth to NRL teams through their upcoming World Cup preparations.

The Intrust Super Cup premiers were handed a shock loss over the weekend, as they fell 42-18 to their NSW Cup counterparts, the Penrith Panthers.

It was a sour end to what has been a stellar, history-making season for the Hunters, with their form also attracting NRL interest in a few players.

It is understood fullback Stargroth Amean and star five-eighth Ase Boas have attracted some interest from NRL clubs, while halfback Watson Boas also had teams sniffing around him after he starred for the Kumuls in their May Test against the Cook Islands.

Hunters and Kumuls coach Michael Marum was reluctant to discuss which players had come into calculations for a move to Australia at the end of the year, but said they hoped to progress the talks over the coming weeks.

“We had a discussion with some players but it’s only discussions,” Marum said.

“We’ll speak to a few players again at some point.”

His skipper, Ase Boas, was also unsure what the future held for him, but he said if there was NRL interest, he would be open to a move.

“Whatever NRL team wants to look at me, I don’t even mind,” he said.

The World Cup will give the Hunters players the best chance to reignite any interest, with Amean and the Boas brothers all expected to be named in Marum’s Kumuls squad on Wednesday before the players go into camp on Thursday.

Marum said this is where most of his attention lies at the moment, as he prepares to assemble a team with plenty of NRL experience.

Bronco David Mead will be one of the first selected with Alex Johnston, Nene Macdonald, Kurt Baptiste, James Segeyaro and Burleigh’s Luke Page all expected to be named as well.

“We got all the players coming into camp on the fifth,” Marum said.

“It’s going to be a good side we’re putting together.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...p/news-story/dd391b0b4e739ad36d7a166eeff8e004

Please, please let this be the beginning of PNG having a really strong national team and don't let the game f#$k it up by letting the best of them play for Australia on the residency rule in a few years or something stupid like that.

mikail-eagle

Bench

Stargoth Amean and Watson Boas at 23 years of age are at still at the right age to probably attract the attention of NRL Clubs.
Ase Boas on the other hand at 28 next year has probably missed the boat with NRL Clubs. But as proven by the like of Stanley Gene, PNG players are very late bloomers and I think he is just hitting his peak and probably has about another 5 years to go.

mikail-eagle

Bench
I hear that Hooker is the 1 position giving Micheal Marum alot of headaches on who to pick.
He has to pick 2 players out of;
1. James Segeyaro
2. Kurt Baptiste,
3. Wartovo Puara jnr
4. Tommy Butterfield
5. Paul Aiton

I have a feeling Puara will get selected because of his combination with the Boas brothers and than it will be a coin toss to decide between either Segeyaro or Baptiste.

mikail-eagle

Bench
PNG Kumuls just announced a 23 men squad;

1. Ase Boas (Hunters)
2. David Mead (Broncos)
3. Enoch Maki ( Hunters)
4. Gary Lo (Shefield Eagles/ Castleford Tigers)
5. James Segeyaro (Sharks)
6. Justin Olam (Storm)
7. Kato Ottio (Raiders)
8. Kurt Baptiste (Raiders)
9. Lachlan Lam (Roosters)
10. Luke Page (Burliegh Bears)
11. Moses Meninga (Hunters)
12. Nene MacDonald (Dragons)
13. Nixon Putt (Hunters)
14. Paul Aiton (Catalan Dragons)
15. Rhyse Martin (Bulldogs)
16. Rod Griffin (Bulldogs)
17. Stanton Albert (Hunters)
18. Stargrot Amean (Hunters)
19. Thompson Teteh (Redclife Dolphins)
20. Wartovo Puara Jnr (Hunters)
21. Wellington Albert (Hunters)
22. Watson Boas (Hunters)
23. Willie Minoga (Hunters)

Way too many hookers and halves for mine. And Alex Johnston isn't named.
Still probably the strongest squad PNG have had in a long time.