What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Articles

getsmarty

Immortal
"Either way I'm going to the World Cup": Vaughan
Fri 22nd September, 10:00AM
A A

By Brad Walter - RLWC2017 Chief Correspondent

After being selected for the Prime Minister's XIII to play Papua New Guinea on 23 October, Vaughan was told by Australian coach Mal Meninga he is under consideration for a place in the Kangaroos squad at the Rugby League World Cup.

Paul Vaughan can’t lose – especially after taking home the Dragons Red V Members Player of the Year and the Geoff Selby Memorial Trophy.

However, Vaughan had already set himself to play for Italy and has friends and family lined up to come and watch the Azzurri’s match against Fiji at Canberra Stadium on 10 November.

"Italy play Fiji in Canberra but I haven’t really looked at where Australia play," Vaughan said.

"I have got a lot of Italian friends in Canberra so they would be stoked if I play for Italy but they’d also be happy no matter who I play for.

"I am Australian-born so I would love to play for Australia but I have played for Italy before at the 2013 World Cup so I think it’s a good position to be in."

Vaughan, who has an Italian-born grandmother, was a member of the Azzurri side which upset England in a warm-up match on the eve of the last World Cup.

Among his Italy team-mates was James Tedesco, who is another player making his first trip to PNG with the PM's XIII, along with Fiji hooker Apisai Koroisau, his Manly teammate Dylan Walker and Cronulla pair Jack Bird and Valentine Holmes.

All have the chance to push their claims for a place in the Australian World Cup squad when they face PNG at Oil Search National Football Stadium in Port Moresby but if not selected Tedesco and Vaughan will line up for the Cameron Ciraldo-coached Azzurri.

"Italian rugby league has done a lot for me in the past, I have got that recognition since I played in the last World Cup, so I would be keen to play for them again," Vaughan said.

"That was a good experience and Teddy has gone on to do some unbelievable stuff in the game so it is going to be good to be in camp with him again."

Under the new international eligibility rules introduced this year, players who are eligible for more than one nation can opt to play for a second-tier country if not chosen by Australia, England or New Zealand.

Other players likely to play for Italy include Parramatta forwards Nathan Brown and Daniel Alvaro, Sydney Roosters back-rower Aidan Guerra, Wigan centre Oliver Gildart, Hull’s Mark Minichiello and former Raiders playmaker Terry Campese.

"I think the [eligibility] rules are good, I think it strengthens each country and gives players the best of both worlds," Vaughan said.

"The Italian team is forming a pretty strong squad with Campo playing the six or seven so they are in a good position."

The selection of the 26-year-old St George Illawarra prop for the PM’s XIII caps his best season in the NRL since debuting for the Raiders in 2013.

"It’s been a really good move for me this year going to the Saints," he said. "I set myself some solid goals and I thought if I could play a good consistent level of football week in and week out I could achieve some things.

"It’s just a really good feeling to think I am in the mix for Australia at the World Cup. I am very passionate about playing this game [in PNG] and giving myself the best opportunity because playing for Australia is the pinnacle of rugby league but if it doesn’t work out I will play for Italy."

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/09/22/_either_way_i_m_goin.af_news.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons help Australia to victory in PNG
Sun 24th September, 09:00AM
A A

St George Illawarra back-rower Tyson Frizell scored a try in the Prime Minister's XIII's 48-8 win over Papua New Guinea's Prime Minister's XIII.

In a game that also featured prop Paul Vaughan and utility back Josh Dugan, see all the highlights from Australia's 40-point win in the above video player.

Dragons Ambassador Kezie Apps was prominent in the Jillaroos' 38-point win over the PNG Orchids in the curtain raiser. See all the highlights below.

Harvey Norman Jillaroos 42 (Hancock 2, McGregor, Kunst, House, Quinn, Sergis, Ward; Baker 5 goals) defeated Papua New Guinea Orchids 4 (Mamai Wei try).

Australia Prime Minister's XIII 48 (T Trbojevic 3, Tedesco 3, Frizell, Maloney; Maloney 6, Holmes 1, Fifita 1 goal(s)) defeated Papua New Guinea Prime Minister's XIII 8 (Talita try; Missian 2 goals).

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/09/24/dragons_help_austral.html

getsmarty

Immortal
2018 Red V Membership Launched
Wed 27th September, 09:00AM
A A

1506466954250.jpg;pv248ec2243042d6c2

The St George Illawarra Dragons have launched their 2018 Red V Membership program with a range of flexible and affordable packages offering new and enhanced benefits to our loyal Red V Members.

The Dragons' home venue structure in 2018 will see five home games played at UOW Jubilee Oval, Kogarah and five home games played at WIN Stadium, Wollongong.

The traditional ANZAC Day match against the Roosters at Allianz Stadium, one of the biggest matches on the Rugby League calendar, will serve as another Dragons home game.

A number of market opportunities are currently being reviewed to determine the Dragons 12th home game.

The 12th home game is only included in platinum membership packages, however all members will have access to an exclusive buying window and member discounts once the venue is confirmed.

The determination of opponents for home games at Kogarah and Wollongong will be made once the 2018 NRL Draw is released in October, and venue availability is confirmed through Georges River Council and WIN Stadium Management.

Click here for the 2018 Dragons home venue announcement

The 2018 Red V Membership program includes improvements based directly on member feedback.

We have worked closely with your representatives, the Members Advisory Forum, to ensure all feedback has been considered. We have strived to deliver Red V Members with even greater flexibility, increased value and an enhanced loyalty program.

In 2018, general admission and bronze family memberships are priced to include two children free across all packages, while adult GA pricing is extremely affordable at less than $200 for the full season or less than $100 for the Kogarah or Wollongong Pass.

Our new premium upgrade option is a great way to experience additional benefits and is available in most packages.

Other 2018 Red V Membership Program highlights include:

· Anzac Day: secureyourseat for thebiggest eventon the NRL Premiership Calendar – from only $20 in a 2018 membership package

· Membershipdelivers thebest valueticket pricesevery timefive-game GA passes only $99 (less than $20 per game)

· Secure your seatfor all the action at the Red V traditionalvenues in Kogarah and Wollongong

· Flexible package options:build your own package to suit your needs – the choice is yours

· Affordability:entry level memberships from $79

· Red V benefits to your door: pre-Christmas benefit pack delivery

· Members choice is back in 2018:choose between member cap, beanie OR both

· Flexible payment options: pay by the month from as little as $6.79 per month (adult)**

· Kids Pack: bigger and better than evermember cap, cape flag, drawstring bag, sticker sheet and lanyard

For further detail, benefits and comparison, visit www.marchwithus.com.au and make the choice that best suits your needs, or simply follow the steps to renew.

There's also a chance to win four NRL grand final tickets – renew or join as a Red V Member by Friday, September 29 to be in the running.

Membership is about much more than just a ticket to the game and we invite you to experience all the flexibility and value that being a Red V Member provides.

There is no better way to show your true colours and support your team, and there is a package to suit everyone.

Red V Membership investment also goes directly towards supporting our on-field endeavours and is greatly appreciated by the football staff and players.

"All the players certainly acknowledge and appreciate the support that we get from our Red V Members," Dragons captain Gareth Widdop said.

"Members are a big part of our team and there is nothing better than running out in front of a big crowd full of red and white.

“We are already looking forward to 2018 and we will be back bigger and better than ever."

In a further boost for the launch of the 2018 Red V Membership, Brydens Lawyers have confirmed they are continuing as the 'Official Red V Membership Partner' for the 2018 season.

Building on a successful 2017, this partnership will only grow and Brydens Lawyers will continue to offer Red V Members and fans exclusive opportunities and 'free' legal advice at our Leagues Clubs.

Since establishing themselves in Sydney over 40 years ago, Brydens Lawyers have developed a reputation for providing expert legal advice and representation, with an outstanding knowledge of the law, professionalism and the highest level of client service.

Principal of Brydens Lawyers Lee Hagipantelis was thrilled to announce the extended partnership with the St George Illawarra Dragons.

"There was no hesitation on my part in affirming the commitment of Brydens Lawyers to the St George Illawarra Dragons as Official ‘Red V’ Membership Partner for the 2018 season," Hagipantelis said.

If you need help deciding which membership is best for you in 2018 go to www.marchwithus.com.au

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/09/27/_2018_red_v_membersh.html

getsmarty

Immortal
St George Illawarra Dragons to explore playing one home game overseas in 2018
Andrew Parkinson
26 Sep 2017, 3:15 p.m.
r0_311_5184_3226_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Home, sweet home: St George Illawarra will play five home games at Jubilee Oval, Kogarah next season but are also looking at playing one home game overseas. Picture: Chris Lane

St George Illawarra are exploring the possibility of playing one home game overseas next season.

The club have abandoned ANZ Stadium as a home ground after the Dragons announced they had conducted a review of their ‘right game, right venue’ strategy.

The club will play five home games each at Jubilee Oval, Kogarah and WIN Stadium, Wollongong in 2018, as well as host the traditional ANZAC Day clash with the Sydney Roosters at Allianz Stadium, Moore Park.

That leaves a 12th regular season home match, with the club looking into playing it in a “different market” in Australia or potentially overseas.

The Dragons said in a statement that the club’s board of directors had considered a number of factors in making the decision including the “expiration of current venue hire agreements and new agreements moving forward, proposed investment by the NSW State Government into major Sydney stadia and associated construction timelines, review of the 'Right Game Right Venue' strategy for the period 2014 to 2017 and club venue strategy.”

"The Dragons support the proposed investment by the NSW State Government into Sydney's major venues to create a world class stadia network,” Dragons CEO Peter Doust said.

"However, with continued uncertainty around construction priorities and timelines, we wanted to ensure that our members, partners and fans have certainty over our home venue structure for the 2018 season.

“To balance the cost base of playing additional games at traditional venues, the Dragons will be looking to take one home game to another market in 2018 and we have been exploring opportunities across Australia and internationally, that support our brand and business development objectives.

"We are close to finalising an arrangement and will announce as soon as possible."

The Dragons won four out of their five matches at Kogarah last season but lost half of their home games at Wollongong (two wins, two losses) and ANZ Stadium (one win, one loss).

St George Illawarra lost their only home match at the SCG against South Sydney.

http://www.theleader.com.au/story/4950026/dragons-explore-international-home-game-option/?cs=1633

getsmarty

Immortal
Future of NYC trio confirmed
Fri 29th September, 09:00AM
A A

St George Illawarra Director of Rugby League Pathways Ian Millward has confirmed the immediate futures of Holden Cup trio Zac Lomax, Tristan Sailor and Steven Marsters.

Queensland Under-20s representative Sailor and Junior Kiwi star Marsters will become Dragons development players when the 2018 pre-season commences in November.

Lomax - who was recently awarded NSWRL's Under-18s Player of the Year - will go one step further when he makes the step up into the Dragons' top 30.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/09/29/future_of_nyc_trio_c.af_news.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Player Season Review: Paul Vaughan
Fri 29th September, 03:00PM
A A

St George Illawarra Dragons prop Paul Vaughan reveals his thoughts and views on the season as part of the overall player season review.

Vaughan, who representated the NRL All Stars, NSW Country and the Prime Minister's XIII in 2017, scored a career high eight tries in his first season in the Red V.

1506662506583.jpg;pv19a0676428a1e8aa

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/09/29/player_season_review_314136790.af_news.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons duo, Hunt named in Australia's RLWC squad
Tue 3rd October, 09:30AM
A A

1506983622602.jpg;pv80b51ada84b058f3

St George Illawarra duo Tyson Frizell and Josh Dugan as well as 2018 recruit Ben Hunt have been selected by the Australian Rugby League Commission today to represent the Kangaroos in the 2017 Rugby League World Cup.

Seven members of the Premiership-winning Melbourne Storm outfit have also been selected in the Kangaroos squad, which will open its World Cup campaign against England on October 27.

The 24-man squad also includes six debutants" Dane Gagai (Newcastle Knights), Wade Graham (Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks), Felise Kaufusi, Jordan McLean, Cameron Munster (Melbourne Storm) and Tom Trbojevic (Manly Warringah Sea Eagles).

"This squad has the right mix of youth and experience, as well as an overall balance across the positions for a World Cup campaign," Kangaroos coach Mal Meninga said.

"It was selected based on form, performances in the State of Origin series as well as previously in the green and gold jersey.

"We have a number of players who can play multiple positions and that will be an advantage over the course of what we hope will be six matches."

Fourteen players from the inaugural Kangaroos Origin Merit Team have been selected in the World Cup Squad.

Premiership-winning skipper Cameron Smith will captain the squad, while Sydney Roosters’ Boyd Cordner has been endorsed as Vice-Captain by Australian Rugby League Commission Chairman John Grant.

The full Kangaroos World Cup squad will travel to Fiji for an exhibition match against both Fiji and PNG on October 14.

The squad, listed alphabetically, is as follows:

Player

NRL Club

Junior Club

Darius Boyd

Brisbane Broncos

Mudgeeraba Redbacks

Will Chambers

Melbourne Storm

Nhulunbuy, NT

Boyd Cordner (vc)

Sydney Roosters

Old Bar Pirates

Cooper Cronk

Melbourne Storm

Souths Acacia

Josh Dugan

St George Illawarra Dragons

South Tuggeranong Knights/Valley Dragons

Andrew Fifita

Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks

Griffith Waratah/St Patricks Blacktown

Tyson Frizell

St George Illawarra Dragons

Corrimal Cougars

Dane Gagai

Newcastle Knights

Souths Sharks

Matt Gillett

Brisbane Broncos

Bribie Island Warrigals

Wade Graham

Blacktown City

Valentine Holmes

Western Lions/Townsville

Ben Hunt

Brisbane Broncos

Blackwater Crushers

Felise Kaufusi

Melbourne Storm

Bundaberg Brothers

David Klemmer

Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs

All Saints Toongabbie

Josh McGuire

Brisbane Broncos

Aspley

James Maloney

St Edwards, Gosford

Jordan McLean

Melbourne Storm

Young Cherrypickers

Michael Morgan

North Queensland Cowboys

Townsville Brothers

Cameron Munster

Melbourne Storm

Norths Knights

Billy Slater

Melbourne Storm

Innisfail

Cameron Smith (c)

Melbourne Storm

Logan Brothers

Jake Trbojevic

Manly Warringah Sea Eagles

Mona Vale Raiders

Tom Trbojevic

Manly Warringah Sea Eagles

Mona Vale Raiders

Aaron Woods

Wests Tigers

Leichhardt Juniors

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/10/03/dragons_duo_hunt_nam.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Ben Hunt, Josh Dugan included in Australia’s World Cup campaign

Tim Barrow@@TheBarrow

3 Oct 2017, 9:11 a.m.
r0_0_4892_3544_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Cup full: Josh Dugan training with the Prime Minister's XIII. Picture: AAP Image/NRL

Incoming Dragons halfback Ben Hunt has been chosen as the back-up hooker option to premiership-winning Melbourne Storm captain Cameron Smith in Australia’s World Cup squad.

Meanwhile, departing St George Illawarra fullback and centre Josh Dugan has retained his green-and-gold jersey, despite the drama in NSW camp this year and missing the bus before the Dragons’ crucial game against Penrith.

“This squad has the right mix of youth and experience, as well as an overall balance across the positions for a World Cup campaign,” Kangaroos coach Mal Meninga said.

“It was selected based on form, performances in the State of Origin series as well as previously in the green and gold jersey.

“We have a number of players who can play multiple positions and that will be an advantage over the course of what we hope will be six matches.”

Dugan was shifted to the centres by coach Paul McGregor after the emergence of Matt Dufty.

The 27-year-old has signed with Cronulla.

Tyson Frizell has also been named for the Kangaroos, after struggling with back and rib injuries during the NRL and State of Origin campaigns.

Australia’s opening World Cup game is against England on October 27 at Melbourne’s AAMI Park.

AUSTRALIA'S WORLD CUP SQUAD
Backs: Billy Slater, Darius Boyd, Will Chambers, Dane Gagai, Tom Trbojevic, Josh Dugan, Valentine Holmes, Cooper Cronk, Cameron Munster, Michael Morgan, James Maloney

Forwards: Aaron Woods, David Klemmer, Josh McGuire, Andrew Fifita, Jake Trbojevic, Jordan McLean, Boyd Cordner, Matt Gillett, Tyson Frizell, Wade Graham, Felise Kaufusi, Cameron Smith, Ben Hunt.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...ded-in-australias-world-cup-campaign/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Player Season Review: Gareth Widdop
Tue 3rd October, 03:00PM
A A

St George Illawarra skipper Gareth Widdop enjoyed a bumper 2017 season, and was given the chance to reflect on the year that was.

Widdop finished the season as Dragons Player of the Year and he also won the RLPA and Dally M Five-eighth of the Year.

Finishing third on the overall Dally M Leaderboard, Widdop would've also played in England's mid-season Test against Samoa if not for a knee injury suffered on Anzac Day.

1507003997126.jpg;pv1f44193b16b5056b

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/10/03/player_season_review.af_news.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Player Season Review: Tim Lafai
Wed 4th October, 02:30PM
A A

St George Illawarra centre Tim Lafai found his way back into form throughout the 2017 season, and was afforded the opportunity to reflect on the year that was.

Lafai produced the second-most offloads (64) across the competition and produced the equal second-most try assists (11) for the Dragons this season, as well as representing Samoa during the NRL Representative Round.

1507088430807.jpg;pv5e973a5efde598be

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/10/04/player_season_review.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Macdonald named in PNG RLWC squad
Wed 4th October, 03:00PM
A A

1507089665135.jpg

St George Illawarra winger Nene Macdonald has been named in Papua New Guinea's 2017 Rugby League World Cup squad following PNGRFL Chairman Sandis Tsaka's announcement on Wednesday afternoon.

10 PNG Hunters players, including the Boas bothers Ase and Watson have been included in coach Michael Marum's squad along with Wartovo Puara, Wellington Albert, Willie Minoga, Stargroth Amean, Nixon Putt, Stanton Albert, Moses Meninga and Enock Maki.

The captain is David Mead while Ase Boas will serve as vice-captain. Tsaka congratulated the selected players and urged them to play their best in front of the home crowd.

"Riding on the back of the successful PNG Hunters season in the Queensland Intrust Super Cup, the support of our nation's eight million people will turn to the Kumuls in the 2017 World Cup campaign," Tsaka said.

The team leaves for Fiji next Wednesday, October 11 for the Tri Nations series against Australia and Fiji in Suva on October 14. They return on October 16 and will assemble in camp on October 20.

The Kumuls' pool games will see them play against Wales (October 28), Ireland (November 5) and the United States of America (November 12), all of them will be played at the Oil Search National Football Stadium in Port Moresby.

Papua New Guinea Kumuls Squad (alphabetical order):

Ase Boas - SP PNG Hunters
David Mead - Brisbane Broncos
Enock Maki - SP PNG Hunters
Garry Lo - Sheffield Eagles
James Segeyaro - Cronulla Sharks
Justin Olam - Melbourne Storm
Kato Ottio - Canberra Raiders
Kurt Baptiste - Canberra Raiders
Lachlan Lam - Sydney Roosters
Luke Page - Burleigh Bears
Moses Meninga - SP PNG Hunters