What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sam Thaiday snub

Shorty

Staff member
I found it fairly dramatic, and to put it on social media of all things...how old is he?
If you're not picked, you won't get a call, I don't think he deserves a phone call at all, that's a bit snowflake like.

Ringing one and not others can be seen as favouritism and that has the potential to destabilise the culture.

Thaidays form is irrelevant. I wouldn’t have picked him for the last few years but I would have done the right thing and called him and others that missed out that were in the previous squad.

Like many others, I thought Thaiday was being precious about his non-selection, until I read in today's Daily Telegraph that Mal Meninga called Blake Ferguson and explained to him why he had not been picked for Australia -

* Meninga ringing winger Blake Ferguson to explain his omission, claiming the Sydney Roosters star was “clearly upset (but) I had to be honest with him around his form.”

* The NRL integrity unit telling selectors there wasn’t any player unavailable through off-field issues.

Meninga also denied Ferguson’s boozy night out in State of Origin damaged his chances, particularly with his drinking partner, Josh Dugan, winning selection.

Hence to call Ferguson, who was an incumbent, but not call Thaiday also an incumbent, is unfair. Believe me I'm no Thaiday fan but it was poor treatment in those circumstances.

Meninga has since come out today and apologised to Thaiday over the matter - http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ngry-forward-sam-thaiday-20171003-gyttvc.html

Last edited:

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Why does the Australian coach need to explain a player's omission?

If you're not picked it's because your form has not been good enough.

End of story

King hit

Coach
22141136_1532380910182998_1680609428319851008_n.jpg

JW

Coach
I get the communication issues and if that's the usual protocol, then fair enough - particularly for bloke who's given lengthy service to the jersey and obviously loves playing for his country. But ranting on IG? Not the best option for a professional and I'm sure in hindsight he'll see it as a thoughtless vent. This stuff is best kept in house between himself and the coach/selectors.

SBD82

Coach
Like many others, I thought Thaiday was being precious about his non-selection, until I read in today's Daily Telegraph that Mal Meninga called Blake Ferguson and explained to him why he had not been picked for Australia -

Hence to call Ferguson, who was an incumbent, but not call Thaiday also an incumbent, is unfair. Believe me I'm no Thaiday fan but it was poor treatment in those circumstances.

Meninga has since come out today and apologised to Thaiday over the matter - http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ngry-forward-sam-thaiday-20171003-gyttvc.html
I think there are two key differences.

Ferguson will potentially play for Australia again in the future. That phone call could have easily been "keep working hard, you missed out this time but you've not got a line through your name".

Also, ferguson is a current origin footballer. Thaiday was dropped. Who in their right mind thinks that after being dropped from their state side they are a good thing to make the aus side?

typicalfan

Coach
I think there are two key differences.

Ferguson will potentially play for Australia again in the future. That phone call could have easily been "keep working hard, you missed out this time but you've not got a line through your name".

Also, ferguson is a current origin footballer. Thaiday was dropped. Who in their right mind thinks that after being dropped from their state side they are a good thing to make the aus side?
That is likely why maybe also he was on the cusp of selection. But the fact still remains you are treating two people differently. Even if Mal feels Sam has no future value. As Mal said himself an honest oversight.

Mind you Sam going on social media is a big no no not just for rep selection issues but by mentioning his club side too. Wayne would likely need to pull him in line saying his preseason would decide his club selection and not reputation as it should anyway.

no name

Coach
I have never liked Thiaday - I don't like the Broncos, Queensland or Australia - so anyone who has played for them (and played well for over the years) is pushing shit up hill to be liked by me

However, that said, this is about common decency

If a player, any player, is included in the squad they get a phone call congratulating them

Any player who was previously picked and now isn't, especially one with 10 years standing in the team, deserves to be told by the team, not the media, of their exclusion.

Meninga craps on about the Australian team unity and respect for the Australian jersey - if you're so big on respect, show some towards those who've aided your cause over the years.

If you don't want to do it Mal, give me the job. I have to give people news they don't want to hear all the time. There's little I enjoy more. Except when it rains. f**k, I love it when it rains. Especially when people want it to be sunny. My god that makes me smile.
Agreed 100%.
Mal talks the talk about culture but doesn't walk the walk. Especially given Thaiday was a big part of Mal's push for culture in the Kangaroos with his wanky poem.
Thaiday probably should have been dropped 2 years ago, but an incumbent who has played 34 tests should have got a phone call, especially seeing Ferguson got one.
Thaiday responding via social media wasn't the best way to handle it either. Makes him look like a sook.

thorson1987

Coach
That is likely why maybe also he was on the cusp of selection. But the fact still remains you are treating two people differently. Even if Mal feels Sam has no future value. As Mal said himself an honest oversight.

Mind you Sam going on social media is a big no no not just for rep selection issues but by mentioning his club side too. Wayne would likely need to pull him in line saying his preseason would decide his club selection and not reputation as it should anyway.

Agreed.

Also what was stopping Thaiday giving Mal a call and speaking to him about it instead of his bitching on social media.

Life's Good

Coach
Agreed.

Also what was stopping Thaiday giving Mal a call and speaking to him about it instead of his bitching on social media.
All jokes aside this is how I see it. Express your disappointment in private which would find its way to Mal. If not give him a call. It will eventually leak to the media and it’s pretty much a non story.
Post it to IG and you embarrass Mal(who has probably selected you when out of form)or you come off looking like an entitled pr*ck.
It is now both.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
I hope all the negative posters on here realise how much Broncos fans get off on watching you all carry on like f**kwits.

Last edited: