What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Rugby League World Cup

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Thought it might be nice to get a thread going on the upcoming world cup and to continue throughout the tournament.

Squads were very interesting. One thing that I think everyone noticed is the Tongan squad.... WOW. I honestly think they will make the final to take on the Aussies. I'm looking at NZ's squad who I feel will be the only nation to genuinely challenge Australia and I feel like the Tongan squad is stronger. It would be great for Rugby League if they make it all the way.

Nice to see Benny Hunt in the squad as well. He will shine in this tournament no doubt.

Thoughts people?

Brutalitops

Juniors
That Tongan squad is really something.

Really hope Ben Hunt gets game time. I know he's only a Cam Smith backup but he deserves to play

Also this ready shows how great he was at hooker that after only a month in the position he earnt a role as backup to the best hooker of all time.

grouch

First Grade
If the Tongan halves can produce something decent then that team could very conceivably make the final. They are ridiculously strong right across the park, aside from the halves. The strongest non "big 3" team I've ever seen

I love the World Cup. As a fan ofrugby league it is, for me, the pinnacle. Growing up my greatest memories were staying up late/waking up early to watch the Ashes test matches on the old Kangaroo tours... and fantasising about wearing that jersey. Through the 80's the Dragons were mostly shit so it was nice to cheer for a team that conquered all before them, and I fell in love with the international game.

Nowadays, the joy is in watching the 'minnow' nations. They tend to have a mix unknown homegrown local players who are experiencing their career highlights just being there, and elite-NRL players representing their heritage purely for pride alone - virtually zero monetary reward. It's a winning combo for me, I enjoy it.

It's not a contrived novelty either. The Rugby League World Cup has been around since 1954, it's older than the cricket and union world cups. Even the cup itself, the Paul Barriere Trophy, has a fascinating story and heritage worth looking in to. So the history aspect of the tournament turns me on a bit too

Looking forward to it

dragonssamy61

First Grade
If the Tongan halves can produce something decent then that team could very conceivably make the final. They are ridiculously strong right across the park, aside from the halves. The strongest non "big 3" team I've ever seen

I love the World Cup. As a fan ofrugby league it is, for me, the pinnacle. Growing up my greatest memories were staying up late/waking up early to watch the Ashes test matches on the old Kangaroo tours... and fantasising about wearing that jersey. Through the 80's the Dragons were mostly shit so it was nice to cheer for a team that conquered all before them, and I fell in love with the international game.

Nowadays, the joy is in watching the 'minnow' nations. They tend to have a mix unknown homegrown local players who are experiencing their career highlights just being there, and elite-NRL players representing their heritage purely for pride alone - virtually zero monetary reward. It's a winning combo for me, I enjoy it.

It's not a contrived novelty either. The Rugby League World Cup has been around since 1954, it's older than the cricket and union world cups. Even the cup itself, the Paul Barriere Trophy, has a fascinating story and heritage worth looking in to. So the history aspect of the tournament turns me on a bit too

Looking forward to it

Well said Grouch
I to will be watching with interest.
Tonga has a impressive team.
The kiwis are not as strong without there island boys but will still be the team to beat.
I think Samoa will also be competitive.
Great to see PNG playing there games at home.
The place will go off.
I have loved the world cup ever since my dad took me the 1977 world cup final .
At the scg australia won 13 to 12 over the poms.
It was a great year with the saints winning as well

Life's Good

Coach
I'm looking forward to the WC. I have taken a bit more interest on account of the smaller nations (myself having a background in one of those).
I understand people get all precious over eligibility of players but it is a good way to strengthen the minnows because I do believe league needs to have some sort of international competition for the sake of growing the game.

There will be the inevitable slagging of the smaller teams, blowout score lines etc. but that happens in the Soccer & Rugby WC. Oddly it doesn't happen at the AFL World Cup........

getsmarty

Immortal
Ah Mau named for Toa Samoa's RLWC tilt
Fri 6th October, 11:30AM
A A

Competition - Tonga V Samoa Test Round - N/A Teams – Tonga V Samoa Date – 7th of May 2016 Venue – Pirtek Stadium, Parramatta Photographer – Mark Nolan Description –

St George Illawarra prop Leeson Ah Mau was on Friday morning announced by Samoan RL president Tagaloa Faafouina Su'a as part of Toa Samoa's 2017 Rugby League World Cup squad.

Skipper Frank Pritchard and Josh Papalii (who will play for Samoa for the first time) were named in a Samoan side chockful of extensive NRL and Super League experience.

Ah Mau, Ben Roberts, Peter and Sione Mata’utia, Sam Tagataese and Tautau Moga are an example of the further experience within the squad.

Toa Samoa will take on New Zealand (Auckland, 28 October), Tonga (Hamilton, 4 November) and Scotland (Cairns, 11 November).

Coach Matt Parish said he has assembled a strong, experienced squad who have a desire to represent Samoa.

"Despite some players being unavailable due to injury we have a very strong squad that will do Samoa proud," Parish said.

Toa Samoa's 2017 Rugby League World Cup squad:

· Frank Pritchard (c)

· Bunty Afoa

· Leeson Ah Mau

· Fa'amanu Brown

· Herman Ese’ese

· Pita Godinet

· Joseph Leilua

· Ricky Leutele

· Sam Lisone

· Jarome Luai

· Suaia Matagi

· Peter Mata’utia

· Sione Mata’utia

· Ken Maumalo

· Tautau Moga

· Zane Musgrave

· Josh Papalii

· Joseph Paulo

· Junior Paulo

· Ben Roberts

· Sam Tagataese

· Jazz Tevaga

· Young Tonumaipea

· Matthew Wright

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/10/06/ah_mau_named_for_toa.af_news.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Lafai into Samoa squad for RLWC
NRL.com

Fri 6th October, 05:00PM
A A

1507270159451.jpg

St George Illawarra centre Tim Lafai has been added to Samoa's 2017 Rugby League World Cup squad.

After announcing their 24-man squad in Samoa on Friday morning, officials were given the belated news that Newcastle Knights skipper Mata’utia and Knights-bound Brisbane centre Moga have been ruled unfit.

Mata’utia had been told he would be fine to play in the tournament but the Samoans were advised by the Knights after further tests that he should not play following a concussion in the last NRL match of the season. Moga has been directed to have off-season shoulder surgery.

Their replacements are two in-form NRL players from this season in Lafai, the St George Illawarra Dragons’ three-quarter, and Manly back-rower Winterstein - neither of whom missed a club match in 2017.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/10/06/lafai_into_samoa_squ.html
“While it is disappointing, especially at this late stage when we were led to believe both players were fit, I am really delighted that we have such depth to bring in Frank and Tim who were both disappointed not to make the initial squad,” said Parish.

“Tim has played eight times for Samoa and both were valuable members of our 2013 World Cup squad.

“They have proved to be consistent good performers in the NRL this season and I know how much this opportunity will mean to them.”

Frank Pritchard was earlier named as captain in a squad which includes Canberra Raiders powerhouse Josh Papalii, who is playing for Samoa for the first time at the World Cup,

Papalii will play alongside Canberra teammates Junior Paulo and Joey Leilua in a strong Toa Samoan side with extensive NRL and Super League experience but a blend of youth.

Zane Musgrove, Jazz Tevaga and Jarome Luai are other newcomers to the Toa Samoa squad, while Joseph Paulo returns to the side for the first time since 2010.

Ben Roberts, Leeson Ah Mau, Peter and Sione Mata’utia, Sam Tagataese and Tautau Moga add further experience to the squad.

Samoa squad

Frank Pritchard (captain)
Bunty Afoa
Leeson Ah Mau
Faámanu Brown
Herman Ese’ese
Pita Godinet
Tim Lafai
Joey Leilua
Ricky Leutele
Sam Lisone
Jarome Luai **
Suaia Matagi
Peter Mata’utia
Ken Maumalo
Zane Musgrave **
Josh Papalii **
Joseph Paulo
Junior Paulo
Ben Roberts
Sam Tagataese
Jazz Tevaga **
Young Tonumaipea
Frank Winterstein
Matthew Wright

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/10/06/lafai_into_samoa_squ.html

Ah Mau named for Toa Samoa's RLWC tilt
Fri 6th October, 11:30AM
A A

Competition - Tonga V Samoa Test Round - N/A Teams – Tonga V Samoa Date – 7th of May 2016 Venue – Pirtek Stadium, Parramatta Photographer – Mark Nolan Description –

St George Illawarra prop Leeson Ah Mau was on Friday morning announced by Samoan RL president Tagaloa Faafouina Su'a as part of Toa Samoa's 2017 Rugby League World Cup squad.

Skipper Frank Pritchard and Josh Papalii (who will play for Samoa for the first time) were named in a Samoan side chockful of extensive NRL and Super League experience.

Ah Mau, Ben Roberts, Peter and Sione Mata’utia, Sam Tagataese and Tautau Moga are an example of the further experience within the squad.

Toa Samoa will take on New Zealand (Auckland, 28 October), Tonga (Hamilton, 4 November) and Scotland (Cairns, 11 November).

Coach Matt Parish said he has assembled a strong, experienced squad who have a desire to represent Samoa.

"Despite some players being unavailable due to injury we have a very strong squad that will do Samoa proud," Parish said.

Toa Samoa's 2017 Rugby League World Cup squad:

· Frank Pritchard (c)

· Bunty Afoa

· Leeson Ah Mau

· Fa'amanu Brown

· Herman Ese’ese

· Pita Godinet

· Joseph Leilua

· Ricky Leutele

· Sam Lisone

· Jarome Luai

· Suaia Matagi

· Peter Mata’utia

· Sione Mata’utia

· Ken Maumalo

· Tautau Moga

· Zane Musgrave

· Josh Papalii

· Joseph Paulo

· Junior Paulo

· Ben Roberts

· Sam Tagataese

· Jazz Tevaga

· Young Tonumaipea

· Matthew Wright

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/10/06/ah_mau_named_for_toa.af_news.html
One heck of a team when you think about it...great backline.

ouryear

Juniors
One heck of a team when you think about it...great backline.
I do call Australia home....so dont crucify me. But shit i would love Samoa to smash the Aussies.. the QLD connection... and especially the rorting storm players! Anything to stop them singing YIPEE YI YO the arrogant jerks.
I am sure they all have confederate flags at home and eat hillbilly grub.

Looking forward to it
Brilliant comment.

It has undoubtedly provided some of the greatest football the game has produced over its lifetime - the international game. For that reason alone, it deserves immense respect by all that follow the game. The fact it doesn't get it is an indictment on those people who don't appreciate it.

getsmarty

Immortal
Lovodua, Milne named in Bati RLWC squad
Sat 7th October, 05:00PM
A A

1507357493036.jpg;pv62e2c57f8c44a005

St George Illawarra duo Joe Lovodua and Taane Milne on Saturday afternoon have been named in Fiji's 2017 Rugby League World Cup squad.

Tariq Sims (wrist) was unfortunately ruled out of representing the Bati with his brothers Korbin and Ashton.

Head of Athletic Performance Nathan Pickworth will discuss the extent of Sims's injury with Dragons TV early next week.

Lovodua and Milne earlier on Saturday played in a 16-all draw against the Fijian Residents before being named in the Bati's squad.

Fiji Bati 2017 Rugby League World Cup squad:

1. Kane Evans - Sydney Roosters
2. Salesi Faingaa - Parramatta Eels
3. Jarryd Hayne - Gold Coast Titans
4. Tui Kamikamica - Melbourne Storm/ SC Falcons
5. Villiame Kikau - Penrith Panthers
6. Apisai Koroisau - Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles
7. Joe Lovadua - St George-Illawarra Dragons
8. Henry Raiwalui - Mounties RLFC
9. Taane Milne - St George-Illawarra Dragons/ Illawarra RLFC
10. Sitiveni Moceidreke - South Sydney Rabbitohs/ North Sydney Bears
11. Marcelo Montoya - Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs
12. Kevin Naiqama (C) - Wests Tigers
13. Ben Nakubuwai - Gold Coast Titans/ Tweed Heads Seagulls
14. Mikaele Ravalawa - Canberra Raiders
15. Junior Roqica - London Broncos
16. Jacob Saifiti - Newcastle Knights
17. Ashton Sims - Warrington Wolves
18. Korbin Sims - Brisbane Broncos
19. Pio Seci - Nabua Broncos
20. James Storer - Port Kembla Blacks
21. Akuila Uate - Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles
22. Eloni Vunakece - Sydney Roosters/ Wyong Roos
23. Suliasi Vunivalu - Melbourne Storm
24. Brayden Wiliame - Catalans Dragons
25. Etuate Bola - Nabua Broncos

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/10/07/lovodua_milne_named_.html

Crush

Coach
I love the nrl but struggle to get excited about anything outside of that in Rugby League. I watch most nrl games every week regardless of which teams are playing and always have a team I am rooting for. Watching Raiders lose is almost as fun as watching Dragons win!
When it comes to International Rugby League I usually just watch the games to see how individual players perform. The results dont matter to me, I feel nothing when Australia losses a game for example.
Watching the Wallabies play I get 100 percent behind the team and watch the game hoping for a wallabies win at any cost!
When Aussie cricket team lost to Bangladesh recently I was devastated!
I don't like watching soccer much but watch the internationals with interest and the world cup is truely the best sporting event in the world.
I guess its because alot of the players in the league WC play in the nrl that it has a different feel for me. I find it hard to barrack for a team full of players I hate even if they are wearing a green and gold jersey.

ouryear

Juniors
I love the nrl but struggle to get excited about anything outside of that in Rugby League. I watch most nrl games every week regardless of which teams are playing and always have a team I am rooting for. Watching Raiders lose is almost as fun as watching Dragons win!
When it comes to International Rugby League I usually just watch the games to see how individual players perform. The results dont matter to me, I feel nothing when Australia losses a game for example.
Watching the Wallabies play I get 100 percent behind the team and watch the game hoping for a wallabies win at any cost!
When Aussie cricket team lost to Bangladesh recently I was devastated!
I don't like watching soccer much but watch the internationals with interest and the world cup is truely the best sporting event in the world.
I guess its because alot of the players in the league WC play in the nrl that it has a different feel for me. I find it hard to barrack for a team full of players I hate even if they are wearing a green and gold jersey.
Same for me, unless dragons have 4 or more players in the team, I don't care if we lose. I enjoy seeing some of the QLD players get beaten and realise they actually arent footballing gods.

Last edited:

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Match officials announced for the RLWC and no Luke Patten.

Actually he dropped off around about the same time as the famous "knock-forward" incident which we all know it was "knocked-back". I think he was the assistant video ref in the State Championship final but that's about it.

Latest posts