What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

betcats

Referee
I wasn’t saying he shirked. He clearly doesn’t have the body strength to be good at it.

As you say he passed it off because others were better, but it’s a lot better to have a fullback who can run it back without having to worry about passing it off to get the best meters or to avoid injury.

FWIW though he wasn’t 3rd

This year he was 6th in runs

Last year he was 5th

Most teams fullbacks are in the top 3.

He was 3rd in average runs per game which is the stat I mentioned. Total runs for the season is going to be skewed because of the different amount of games everyone played.

betcats

Referee
Anyway it was just a general observation about our style of play, Im not disagreeing with Dylan being a great young player and future star.

franklin2323

Immortal
It’s not easy to tactically counter kick return meters for example, that’s mostly down to pace.

Edwards doesn’t actually have great stats in the areas you might counter tactically. Such as tries, offloads, try assists. So he has room to improve there.

Where he is doing well is in the catergories that are just sheer natural ability.

My point is. Every year someone plays well gets mentioned with the greats and they fall away. I have no doubt a few of the above had far better stats after 12 games like Edwards did. It's too soon to compare him to others NRL fullbacks

franklin2323

Immortal
Agree but it the worst happened and we lost Moylan.
May would miss the first month or 2? of the season and Luani mightn't be ready for FG come round 1.
Knowing Griffin past selections. Carty at 5/8 would be a strong possibility come round 1 if Moylan left and was not replaced.

Peachey, Katoa, CHN, Even Wallace and Rein at hooker all have played in the halves before. It was crazy circumstances for Cartwright to play 5/8th hopefully never happens again

hindy111

Post Whore
Past it might have been poor phrasing. If RTS was playing at the quality of his Roosters days he'd be elite tier. At the Warriors he is an average fullback.

I'm not saying Edwards is an elite fullback yet, that would be going a bit too far. He's very, very good though and I bet Eels fans would be over the moon with excitement if he was signed.

Gutherson + Bevan are at club. I wouldn't swap him for either. Bevan lacks height but has the x factor. Gutherson form was awesome.
Like I said in 12mths i may be saying YES. But you have 3 guys within 12mths of age. It will be interesting to see who has better careers.

hindy111

Post Whore
Still I think we can all agree that Edwards is up there with the best kick returners in the comp, that’s invaluable.

Not if you have 2 wingers who can cart it back stronger. Like Mansour and DWZ.
You then have big boys in Blake who can take a bit up pr a scoot like Peachey does.
There is 3 of your 5 hit ups taken care of in kick returns. Plenty of time for forwards to be ready for a charge.

Bevans kick returns arr useless. That is why he never takes them. NONE. Why when Semi,Taka,Auvau,Jennings all could. But gee he is dangerous.

Port Panther

Juniors
Just need him to bring the ball back at pace and beat a man occassionaly and back up for offloads its how Slater started off . Later after development chime into backline and chase kicks in goal .

franklin2323

Immortal
Just need him to bring the ball back at pace and beat a man occassionaly and back up for offloads its how Slater started off . Later after development chime into backline and chase kicks in goal .

That is the thing though. People want our attack to flow instantly We need FB, 5/8th, Half and Hooker all playing well for that to happen. All have the skills and it is getting it to work together that will get the attack flowing

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/me...p/news-story/535d6b36842685f248abc7af31c7d1f6

THE saga is over. Matt Moylan is staying at Penrith.
Channel Nine has reported Moylan’s manager Allan Gainey on Friday informed rival clubs the star playmaker will remain at the Panthers.

It comes after reports emerged Penrith had slapped a $250,000-per-year transfer fee on Moylan which would have seen the five-eighth fork out $1 million over four years if he had broken his contract.

Cronulla, Wests Tigers, and Manly were among a number of clubs believed to be interested in luring Moylan away from the foot of the mountains.

Moylan was stood down indefinitely towards the end of the season and hasn’t been heard from since.

It does beg the question though. If he was staying anyway like Gould told us, Then why is his manager informing clubs today of his intention to stay?
Assuming the rumour is correct.

betcats

Referee
Not if you have 2 wingers who can cart it back stronger. Like Mansour and DWZ.
You then have big boys in Blake who can take a bit up pr a scoot like Peachey does.
There is 3 of your 5 hit ups taken care of in kick returns. Plenty of time for forwards to be ready for a charge.

Bevans kick returns arr useless. That is why he never takes them. NONE. Why when Semi,Taka,Auvau,Jennings all could. But gee he is dangerous.

It does add value because you have three super strong kick returners at the back(Edwards breaks more tackles than either winger). It's not necessary to have 3 strong kick returners but it certainly is an advantage.

Also you need to look at our coaching before you start questioning Edwards lack of linebreak assists, we play with no shape or depth. Edwards literally isn't getting quality ball, out attack was woeful.

Put Edwards at the back of parra and he would be getting similar numbers of assists as Gutherson or Bevan and many more metres imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.