What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Minnow nation reps eligible for State of Origin?

RazorRam0n

Juniors
Why is this bollocks getting airtime?

SOO is not an all stars game.. You can't have more passion for your heritage than the state you're representing to qualify.

Go down this path and you'll just end up with kangaroos pulling out of origin because of how irrelevant it will become.

adamkungl

Immortal
SOO is not an international game, who gives a shit who players represent in a completely different level of the game.
Should be open to anyone who fulfills the State eligibility requirements.

Reactions: gUt

jim_57

Staff member
SOO is not an international game, who gives a shit who players represent in a completely different level of the game.

This. I wouldn't even care if there were rare cases of England & NZ internationals meeting Origin criteria and playing.

gUt

Coach

Agreed, Origin is an exhibition game and should have the very best players available. Overseas players can easily base their eligibility on their first Australian club or whatever. It would strengthen the international scene if the likes of Tamou didn't have to declare for Australia just to get that tasty Origin cash.

adamkungl

Immortal
Agreed, Origin is an exhibition game and should have the very best players available. Overseas players can easily base their eligibility on their first Australian club or whatever. It would strengthen the international scene if the likes of Tamou didn't have to declare for Australia just to get that tasty Origin cash.

Don't get me wrong, I think Origin should have a strict criteria in itself and anyone who didn't grow up in NSW and QLD should be excluded. But that criteria should have nothing to do with whether someone nominates to represent their heritage.
Example - Jennings should still be eligible for NSW despite representing Tonga. Taumololo should not be eligible for QLD because he didn't move to Australia until his mid teens.

On the other hand I'm not as fussed as I used to be about Aus using Origin as a carrot. Up to NZ and the islands to develop their own rep programs instead of relying on whatever scraps Aus decides to throw their way.

no name

Coach
This isn't a new thing.
Adrian Lam and James McManus come to mind.
There's probably been more.

This has been discussed hundreds of times here.

If you are Australian whose playing history meets origin selection criteria you can play Origin. Being an Australian citizen and nominating to play for another nation during the World Cup doesn't nullify ability to play Origin. If you aren't an Aussie citizen you can't play for NSW/QLD.

Last edited:

Latest posts