What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Draw

adamkungl

Immortal
@adamkungl I'm not sure the double header figures get added to the averages of the clubs hosting, for what its worth.

The NRL has Storm at 16535 and Manly at 11654 which doesn't include the Suncorp games - add those in and Melbourne jump to 18375 (stay in 2nd place) and Manly jump to 13973 (jump from 15th to 11th).

Fair enough, where do the NRL publish crowd averages?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Most Sundays should be a double header at ANZ. 2pm and 4 pm KO. Members of all 4 clubs get admission. Ideally one big derby at 4pm and one smaller Sydney v out of town team at 2pm. You'd boost the chances of the second game being a 30kplus crowd every time.

moffla

Bench
Not saying this because I'm a storm fan, but defending premiers should always have the opportunity to open the season at home. Have said that for a while but nothing we can do about it now.

And the points also been made that this was signed off a while back.

Hope Slater has a "slight niggle" so he has the 300th he deserves though ;)

super_coach

First Grade
While they televise every game live they will struggle to draw decent crowds to most venues. People are time and wallet poor and the ability to catch your team on a big screen tele in your lounge room, drinking Beers at Dan's prices and eating snacks at Aldi prices will always be a lot of peoples no1 choice. You will always get tragic supporters like most people who read these boards who will attend games hail rain or shine, but the vast majority don't need much of a excuse to get their NRL fix from their lounge room

Perth Red

Post Whore
While they televise every game live they will struggle to draw decent crowds to most venues. People are time and wallet poor and the ability to catch your team on a big screen tele in your lounge room, drinking Beers at Dan's prices and eating snacks at Aldi prices will always be a lot of peoples no1 choice. You will always get tragic supporters like most people who read these boards who will attend games hail rain or shine, but the vast majority don't need much of a excuse to get their NRL fix from their lounge room

It will be for the majorities, but we aren't after the majority, just 20k of them per club! The more popular the sport, the better the marketing, the more accessible the game, the better the facilities, the more entertaining the live experience, the more people will get off their couches and go to a game.

Clifferd

Coach
Heard a rumour Tigers playing Roosters round 1 at Campbelltown Sunday

Now that's an easy game to sell with teddy jumping ship playing at his spiritual home ground on the opposition team

Vozzy

Juniors

Now that's an easy game to sell with teddy jumping ship playing at his spiritual home ground on the opposition team
They did that last year with Robbie. Also roosters are a boogey team so our usual round 1 win will be squashed.

On another bright note Melbourne are hard enough to play as it is so lets move our home game with them to New Zealand lol. It will be like an away game now.

Clifferd

Coach
They did that last year with Robbie. Also roosters are a boogey team so our usual round 1 win will be squashed.

On another bright note Melbourne are hard enough to play as it is so lets move our home game with them to New Zealand lol. It will be like an away game now.

Yeh kinda weird but I could see how it makes sense from a business perspective

With that being said being a successful team gets you revenue and taking games to neutral venues against teams while we already have 4 home grounds to choose from is annoying enough as it is

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Apart from the double header and rumoured Tigers-Roosters game I've got no idea how they'll piece R1 together. speculation time

Speculative R1 - 8-11 Mar
Thu 7:50 Eels v Broncos (ANZ)
Fri 6:00 Knights v Titans (MJS)
Fri 7:50 Dragons v Panthers (JUB)
Sat 4:30 Souths v Warriors (PER)
Sat 7:00 Bulldogs v Storm (PER)
Sat 9:00 Cowboys v Sharks (1300)
Sun 4:00 Tigers v Roosters (CTN)
Sun 6:30 Manly v Raiders (BVL)

(has their been any confirmation on what times the double header games are?)

Valheru

Coach
Apart from the double header and rumoured Tigers-Roosters game I've got no idea how they'll piece R1 together. speculation time

Speculative R1 - 8-11 Mar
Thu 7:50 Eels v Broncos (ANZ)
Fri 6:00 Knights v Titans (MJS)
Fri 7:50 Dragons v Panthers (JUB)
Sat 4:30 Souths v Warriors (PER)
Sat 7:00 Bulldogs v Storm (PER)
Sat 9:00 Cowboys v Sharks (1300)
Sun 4:00 Tigers v Roosters (CTN)
Sun 6:30 Manly v Raiders (BVL)

(has their been any confirmation on what times the double header games are?)

For arguments sake, let's assume what you have posted above will be the fixtures for the first round. From there, isn't the actual schedule determined (or partly determined) by which of those games form the 'premium' fixtures that channel 9 get to televise?

I can't see Penrith/Dragons being one of those or even Tigers/Roosters (maybe the Tedesco factor changes that).

Valheru

Coach

The NRL have a history of doing this so it wouldn't surprise me however rounds 1 and to a lesser extent 2 sell themselves given it is everyone's first home game. This would be better served for rounds 3-5 IMO. See Bulldogs/Roosters in 08 which was played in round 4 for example, 36k.

For arguments sake, let's assume what you have posted above will be the fixtures for the first round. From there, isn't the actual schedule determined (or partly determined) by which of those games form the 'premium' fixtures that channel 9 get to televise?

I can't see Penrith/Dragons being one of those or even Tigers/Roosters (maybe the Tedesco factor changes that).

The NRL are supposed to control which games are scheduled in which timeslots. Channel 9, nor Fox, are supposed to have any input into the scheduling as far as I'm aware.