What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wests seeking to extend Brown

Still Nutty

Juniors
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...h/news-story/b9cc974f37e886b5fd2fdc6d7ff8ab51

KNIGHTS TO EXTEND BROWN

Fairfax Media reports Newcastle are set to extend the contract of coach Nathan Brown for a further two years, until the end of 2020.

The deal, which will be struck by club new owners Wests Group, will include performance indicators.

“The key for us is the head coach, getting him sorted out for the next period of time,” Wests chief executive Phil Gardner said.

“I think we’re keen to sign him on those performance conditions and get him extended for another two more seasons. Then we can offer some certainty for the players we’re trying to attract.

“It’s very hard to say to the players: ‘He’s only signed for one more year but we’d like you to sign for three or five’.

Interesting comment by Gardner re looking to sign new players and giving them some surety of who the coach will be..I think it has been earned by Brown though and is a smart move by the Knights (Wests Group) to lock him up and let his vision play out for the next 3 seasons.

Still Nutty

Juniors
Hypothetically, what happens if we win six or seven games in 2018 and are in the bottom four?

Then I'd expect the 'performance indicators' would dictate the status of his contract...it certainly doesn't read open cheque book and keys to the city.

To me it reads, we believe in what is the intent of your coaching philosophy and the structures you are looking to build and the track record you have established to date has shown that you are progressing that structure and philosophy - lets put some surety that, if things keep progressing, we want you here for the medium term to continue...and if not, we have some out clauses to say we need to hand over the reigns to continue the journey.

Well that's how it reads to me anyway ;)

Caped Crusader

Juniors
I would wait to see some success on the field before extending him.
Why? Its clear he is doing a good job and Im sure there are clauses in the contract that allow for such circumstances

Besides, if it all turns to shit we can just Des him. Hasler was renewed too and now hes out the door

mozza91

Coach
Why? Its clear he is doing a good job and Im sure there are clauses in the contract that allow for such circumstances

Besides, if it all turns to shit we can just Des him. Hasler was renewed too and now hes out the door
Well for one you don't have to pay him out of you don't extend.

I'm 99% sure Brown is the right man for the job and deserves an extension in time. I just can't see why we don't wait until we've seen his team play.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
If Brown had good cattle, we may very well be looking at him as one of the elite coaches. His record in England was terrific and I have been impressed with what he has done at the Knights with the team he was given. He must be a terrific man manager as the Knights are an insanely young and inexperienced team who were no chance of making the finals, yet he managed to get them psyched up and prepared to put their bodies on the line.

A 2 year extension with some clauses in the contracts sounds fair enough imo.

Spot On

Coach
If Brown had good cattle, we may very well be looking at him as one of the elite coaches. His record in England was terrific and I have been impressed with what he has done at the Knights with the team he was given. He must be a terrific man manager as the Knights are an insanely young and inexperienced team who were no chance of making the finals, yet he managed to get them psyched up and prepared to put their bodies on the line.

A 2 year extension with some clauses in the contracts sounds fair enough imo.

Couldn't agree more.

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
Extend him till the end of 2020 right now, this team started from below rock bottom, and anyone can see how much it has improved, we will push for 8-10 wins easily next year, the year after can be the one where we make that deep run into the playoffs.

Burns

First Grade
Extend him till the end of 2020 right now, this team started from below rock bottom, and anyone can see how much it has improved, we will push for 8-10 wins easily next year, the year after can be the one where we make that deep run into the playoffs.
We will get the spoon confirmed.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Considering we lost 5 or 6 really close games this year that a more experienced side would have won we easily could have finished this season with 7 or 8 wins if we hadn't dropped the bundle in a few of those games.

Considering the guys we're bringing on board and the natural progression of the current guys I'd be expecting 8-10 wins for 2018. Hopefully the clause in the contract is something along those lines with a higher number of wins expected over the following 2 seasons.

Yosh

Coach
I think having massive changes at the club, you want to keep some things the same to keep it stable. Keeping Brown during the transition seems like a good business move. If he keeps performing great, if not, we'll be in a much better position to upgrade once the Wests have settled in.

Pedge1971

First Grade
Then I'd expect the 'performance indicators' would dictate the status of his contract...it certainly doesn't read open cheque book and keys to the city.

To me it reads, we believe in what is the intent of your coaching philosophy and the structures you are looking to build and the track record you have established to date has shown that you are progressing that structure and philosophy - lets put some surety that, if things keep progressing, we want you here for the medium term to continue...and if not, we have some out clauses to say we need to hand over the reigns to continue the journey.

Well that's how it reads to me anyway ;)

With you mate. Brown is poor unless he wins..I vote extension..

slotmachine

First Grade
Yep so tigers look a better side than us after four games of Ivan Cleary.

Masterstroke from Gus punting him.

Yosh

Coach
I think we've looked great this year. It was gonna be a real tough ask to beat both the Roosters and Dragons. We did better than the scoreline suggested against the Roosters and we let ourselves down a little with errors against the Dragons. Nothing wrong with Brownie.

Noname36

First Grade
Yep so tigers look a better side than us after four games of Ivan Cleary.

Masterstroke from Gus punting him.

If this post is meant to somehow suggest we should punt Brown you’ve completely lost the plot.

Good on the Tigers but Cleary’s success has absolutely nothing to do with us.

We sack Brown and no coach worth anything will ever touch us guaranteed. Sure one desperate for a job might but they’re desperate for a job for a reason.

perverse

Referee
We expected to be an 8-12 team this year, and that's about how we're playing at the moment. I don't see any cause for alarm, we'll improve as the season moves forward, injuries permitting.

slotmachine

First Grade
Our attack has improved but still leaking 30 points a game like last two years.

My point is how come the tigers who had a big player turnover and a brand new coach have their defence locked down from round 1 and we're still a work in progress?