What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leigh or Catalans in Championship 2018

Who will win the Million Pound Game?

• Leigh

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Catalans

Votes: 9 75.0%

• Total voters

WireMan

Bench
Panic over..a heartland club has been relegated...phew...
So a northern club gone, but with a chance to come back.
A clear path for other expansion areas.
Super league still in France.

I expect a queue of people on here saying how good the p&r system is, and how a similar system in Australia will give a chance to teams and keep nrl teams honest...

Pommy

Coach
Toulouse have signed Barthau and Maria so they are looking good for next year.

Is Luke Burgess still there?
It’s going to be a big ask to beat Toronto for promotion given the squad they have assembled.

WireMan

Bench
It is a system of course which not only promotes expansion but also has the world champions as well!

Maybe we should stop looking to Australia all the time for ideas.

WireMan

Bench
Is Luke Burgess still there?
It’s going to be a big ask to beat Toronto for promotion given the squad they have assembled.
They could both go up.
They will be better than widnes and Salford may be about to fall of a cliff with koukash leaving.

Stallion

First Grade
So a northern club gone, but with a chance to come back.
A clear path for other expansion areas.
Super league still in France.

I expect a queue of people on here saying how good the p&r system is, and how a similar system in Australia will give a chance to teams and keep nrl teams honest...

Different issues with distance and population density a big consideration. What may be feasible is a two conference system with a Sydney metropolitan area having a promotion and relegation set up . With the outside of Sydney clubs without promotion and relegation due to their isolation between eachother. This would avoid disasters for the code in expansion areas. For instance, if the Cowboys were relegated their goes the games top flight status in that area. This situation would be avoided with these clubs exempt from P&R. A Sydney club that might get relegated would not be destined for eternal expulsion from the top flight. This set up avoids the heartache and loss of fans that would otherwise occur by other alternatives like elimination, merging or relocation.

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach
They could both go up.
They will be better than widnes and Salford may be about to fall of a cliff with koukash leaving.

I would be very surprised to see two SL sides drop out in one season.
It could happen, I just doubt it will.

adamkungl

Immortal
The MPG has to stay.
The coaches and players sooking about player welfare is nothing more than self preservation. There are exactly the same number of full time jobs in Rugby League regardless of if a Super League team gets relegated or not. A few players will have to leave Leigh, some will get a gig at other SL clubs and some at other Championship clubs, what's the problem exactly?

Pommy

Coach
The MPG has to stay.
The coaches and players sooking about player welfare is nothing more than self preservation. There are exactly the same number of full time jobs in Rugby League regardless of if a Super League team gets relegated or not. A few players will have to leave Leigh, some will get a gig at other SL clubs and some at other Championship clubs, what's the problem exactly?

Why not shit can the MPG and just have up down promotion?
I have to admit it feels rather cruel to me to have a game where everyone gets made redundant at the final whistle.

adamkungl

Immortal
Why not shit can the MPG and just have up down promotion?
I have to admit it feels rather cruel to me to have a game where everyone gets made redundant at the final whistle.

How is it any different to if these 2 teams were playing for 10th spot in the final round? What do we do if the ladder's close - oooh this game's going to be a little tough on the players, best not do it, no relegation this year.
In any P&R system there will come a final game in a season where a team is playing for its future. It is impossible for this not to be the case.
Having it as the final game of the season:
a) adds to the drama and interest of the occasion
b) actually makes it far easier for Super League teams. In a straight P&R 2 SL teams go down every year. In this system they're given a chance to notch up easy wins against tier 2 opposition and likely play the relegation game against tier 2 opposition.

As I've said earlier, the key here is to better fund the Championship, and maybe a less drastic funding cut to the relegated team, to avoid relegation being seen as a death sentence for players and clubs.

Pommy

Coach
How is it any different to if these 2 teams were playing for 10th spot in the final round? What do we do if the ladder's close - oooh this game's going to be a little tough on the players, best not do it, no relegation this year.
In any P&R system there will come a final game in a season where a team is playing for its future. It is impossible for this not to be the case.
Having it as the final game of the season:
a) adds to the drama and interest of the occasion
b) actually makes it far easier for Super League teams. In a straight P&R 2 SL teams go down every year. In this system they're given a chance to notch up easy wins against tier 2 opposition and likely play the relegation game against tier 2 opposition.

I think there’s something less brutal about a seasons set of fixtures and being worst rather than 80 mins deciding it.
I don’t dispute the outcome is identical it just feels less harsh

adamkungl

Immortal
So after much sooking about the relegation game again, aside from the complaints being self-preserving nonsense, we have the relegated Leigh signing NRL players, picking up Pete Mata'utia from Newcastle.
How about all those layoffs and poor unemployed players hey?

Pommy

Coach
So after much sooking about the relegation game again, aside from the complaints being self-preserving nonsense, we have the relegated Leigh signing NRL players, picking up Pete Mata'utia from Newcastle.
How about all those layoffs and poor unemployed players hey?

Surprised about that considering they had Bryson Goodwin and he was announced by Wire instead pretty much straight away.
If they can keep most of their squad together for next year the Championship is going to be a very interesting league to follow.

adamkungl

Immortal
Surprised about that considering they had Bryson Goodwin and he was announced by Wire instead pretty much straight away.
If they can keep most of their squad together for next year the Championship is going to be a very interesting league to follow.

To me it just proves that the melodrama about players losing their jobs due to funding cuts is total bullshit. Don't get me wrong, I don't begrudge them signing quality players, but save the song and dance about the poor victims of relegation.

Pommy

Coach
To me it just proves that the melodrama about players losing their jobs due to funding cuts is total bullshit. Don't get me wrong, I don't begrudge them signing quality players, but save the song and dance about the poor victims of relegation.

They just signed Bodene Thompson from warriors as well.

deal.with.it

Juniors
I can't believe it could be reality having Toulouse in SL. Would be great to have that.

In fact, I can't believe the RFL has the potential to have Toulouse, Perpignan, London, Toronto, Leeds, Hull in a pro comp. And they're not really responsible for any of it.

Personally, I advocated for a play off between bottom SL vs Top Championship team. If they want to keep super 8s, I'd definitely move straight into play offs after hom and away season, rather than having an extra 7 fixtures before play offs. Reducing SL to 12 teams was meant to stop the SL from diluting the product.

Teddyboy

First Grade
Different issues with distance and population density a big consideration. What may be feasible is a two conference system with a Sydney metropolitan area having a promotion and relegation set up . With the outside of Sydney clubs without promotion and relegation due to their isolation between eachother. This would avoid disasters for the code in expansion areas. For instance, if the Cowboys were relegated their goes the games top flight status in that area. This situation would be avoided with these clubs exempt from P&R. A Sydney club that might get relegated would not be destined for eternal expulsion from the top flight. This set up avoids the heartache and loss of fans that would otherwise occur by other alternatives like elimination, merging or relocation.
i think thats a great idea but would of been great having a national comp with also a NSW conference and also a Queensland conference with the like of Redcliffe getting a chance to play in the national comp.

Stallion

First Grade
i think thats a great idea but would of been great having a national comp with also a NSW conference and also a Queensland conference with the like of Redcliffe getting a chance to play in the national comp.

In time, as the game grows and strengthens, I'm a big fan of more Queensland club top flight presence! In fact the 'Brisbane Dolphins' right now should be playing in the NRL!
An external conference format outside of Sydney would most probably have a good number of Qld teams however it would be great if one day two clubs from each capital city outside of NSW and QLD is delivered.(Tasmania excepted- they can have guest games!)

Teddyboy

First Grade
In time, as the game grows and strengthens, I'm a big fan of more Queensland club top flight presence! In fact the 'Brisbane Dolphins' right now should be playing in the NRL!
An external conference format outside of Sydney would most probably have a good number of Qld teams however it would be great if one day two clubs from each capital city outside of NSW and QLD is delivered.(Tasmania excepted- they can have guest games!)
I suppose the 1970s or 80s would of been the ideal time for a NSW conference and QLD conference so you wouldn't end up with just the Broncos.

Latest posts