What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Draw

_Johnsy

Referee
What part of that looks "NRL official" lol
I provided a link to a site that has all H & A average crowds, I didn't say it was "official".

1u9g7y.jpg

Rimmah being Rimmah, go the swannies

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I provided a link to a site that has all H & A average crowds, I didn't say it was "official".
He literally asked "where do the NRL publish crowd averages". You quoted that post.

My point to you is that his question wasn't general, it was querying where the NRL officially record crowd figures.

Illawarra Tiger

Juniors
If the NRL had complete control surely they'd ditch Thursday Nights (except for Easter Thursday) and the ridiculous Friday 6pm.

Post Daylight Saving would be good if:

1 x Friday Night 7:35pm (match of round)
1 x Saturday 3pm
1 x Saturday 5pm
2 x Saturday Night 7pm
2 x Sunday 2pm (1 game in suburban ground each round if possible)
1 x Sunday Twilight 4pm

beave

Coach
I like it, but move one of the 2pm Sunday games and put it on at 6:30pm (free to air straight after the Sunday News)And you could even put the Warriors home games in either a 1pm Saturday or 12pm sunday slot to avoid double ups/clashes.

Done.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The NRL are supposed to control which games are scheduled in which timeslots. Channel 9, nor Fox, are supposed to have any input into the scheduling as far as I'm aware.

Nope, ch9 still get to choose the thurs night. Fri night and Sunday game out of the premium games the nrl put forward.

Saturday slots don't really seem to make much difference crowd wise so it's the 6pm stinker nrl can choose who to dump into that black hole

Timmah

Staff member
"The 6pm stinker"

Wasn't this debunked? Could've sworn it was shown the crowds for it were actually better than Monday nights.

Ratings are a different story though.

Raiderdave

First Grade
"The 6pm stinker"

Wasn't this debunked? Could've sworn it was shown the crowds for it were actually better than Monday nights.

It was still a stinker
It just didn't stink as bad as Monday's

Friday's at 7.40 pm
The only regular weekday timeslot from 2023 for games played in Australia please

seanoff

Juniors
I like it, but move one of the 2pm Sunday games and put it on at 6:30pm (free to air straight after the Sunday News)And you could even put the Warriors home games in either a 1pm Saturday or 12pm sunday slot to avoid double ups/clashes.

Done.

No FTA network is putting sport in prime time on a Sunday night other than the Olympics. That is for national (hopefully) high rating programming. The NRL is not national irrespective of the name. It might rate in NSW and Qld and definitely tank everywhere else. They don’t want to give 7, 10 etc a free swing. Sunday night is for The Voice, Masterchef, The Block, etc etc

If they thought it would work it would have been done before now.

Mister M

Juniors
Apart from the double header and rumoured Tigers-Roosters game I've got no idea how they'll piece R1 together. speculation time

Speculative R1 - 8-11 Mar
Thu 7:50 Eels v Broncos (ANZ)
Fri 6:00 Knights v Titans (MJS)
Fri 7:50 Dragons v Panthers (JUB)
Sat 4:30 Souths v Warriors (PER)
Sat 7:00 Bulldogs v Storm (PER)
Sat 9:00 Cowboys v Sharks (1300)
Sun 4:00 Tigers v Roosters (CTN)
Sun 6:30 Manly v Raiders (BVL)

(has their been any confirmation on what times the double header games are?)

The first game of the Perth Double header definitely won't start that early. 4:30pm AEDST is 1:30pm Perth time and it would be crazy to start a game over there that early this early in the year. Perth maximum temperatures were still mid to high 30's over that same weekend last year.

Perth Red

Post Whore
"The 6pm stinker"

6pm didn't replace Monday though, Thursday nights replaced Mondays in effect (accepting diff channels are showing the games). 6pm replaced the other 7:30pm game that was shown on delay. I very much doubt the 6pm game rated better than the previous 7:30pm game?

Remember when everyone whinged about having one of the Friday night games on delay and not live? Well be careful what you wish for!

Perth Red

Post Whore
The first game of the Perth Double header definitely won't start that early. 4:30pm AEDST is 1:30pm Perth time and it would be crazy to start a game over there that early this early in the year. Perth maximum temperatures were still mid to high 30's over that same weekend last year.

I'm thinking it will likely be either 3:30pm and 6pm or 4pm and 6:30pm WA time

Raiderdave

First Grade

yeah it needs to be 4.30pm & 6.30pm WA time for the 2 games over there
meaning 7.30pm & 9.30pm here
a 5.30pm game in NSW could be the first match of a triple header

Clifferd

Coach
Ima take a stab in the dark at a round 1 draw

Thurs Penrith v Parra
Fri Newcastle v Canberra
Fri Brisbane v Dragons
Sat Souths v Warriors
Sat Melbourne v Bulldogs
Sat Cowboys v Titans
Sun Manly v Cronulla
Sun Tigers v Roosters

Although not sure if nrl will want to waste a number of rivalries round 1 as someone pointed out opening season games sorta sell themselves anyway

Saint Doc

Coach
6pm didn't replace Monday though, Thursday nights replaced Mondays in effect (accepting diff channels are showing the games). 6pm replaced the other 7:30pm game that was shown on delay. I very much doubt the 6pm game rated better than the previous 7:30pm game?

Remember when everyone whinged about having one of the Friday night games on delay and not live? Well be careful what you wish for!

Whilst impossible to say for certain, your logic in the post supports the opposite viewpoint as to which game replaced what.

Timeslots 2016

Primetime FTA
FRI 19:30

Weeknight Fox
MON 19:00

Timeslots 2017

Primetime FTA
THU 19:30

Weeknight Fox
FRI 18:00

To me, Thurs replaced second Friday game and Fri twighlight replaced MNF. And the types of fixtures back that up too (ie. Broncos, Souths lots of Thursday footy)

Timmah

Staff member
Exactly. PR just arguing for the sake of it. The second Friday game shifted to Thursday, the Monday game moved to Friday 6pm.

Marlins

Juniors
How I’d play out Round 1.

Thu Eels Vs Dragons
Fri Newcastle Vs Canberra
Fri Cowboys Vs Tigers
Sat Souths v Warriors
Sat Melbourne v Bulldogs
Sat Sharks vs Manly
Sun Raiders Vs Titans
Sun Broncos Vs Roosters

Incorrect

Coach
How I’d play out Round 1.

Thu Eels Vs Dragons
Fri Newcastle Vs Canberra
Fri Cowboys Vs Tigers
Sat Souths v Warriors
Sat Melbourne v Bulldogs
Sat Sharks vs Manly
Sun Raiders Vs Titans
Sun Broncos Vs Roosters

I'd f**king love to see that!!! With Raiders losing both games - imagine how many texers Ricky will get that weekend!!!!

Timmah

Staff member
Big announcements this evening.

Charity Shield Mudgee

Dragons taking their "on the road" game there in 2018 as well. http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/10/12/dragons_announce_mud.html

Rabbitohs home games in Cairns and Gosford http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2017/10/12/rabbitohs_supporting.html

Wests Tigers in Tamworth http://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2017/10/12/wests_tigers_to_take.html

Titans two on the road games - Gladstone and Toowoomba http://www.titans.com.au/news/2017/10/12/titans_to_go_regiona.html