What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Decade Before They Called Us St Merge

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Might also add. From a fairly conspicuous 2010 Grand Final winning team....

Morris - Illawarra junior
Cooper - Illawarra junior
Hornby - Illawarra junior
Scott - Illawarra junior
Creagh - Illawarra junior
Prior -Illawarra Junior

Clearly Illawarra was the problem

You've omitted a few noticeable absentees: Young and Merrin. Also, if Hunt didn't bugger up his Achilles' tendon, he would've played in the 2010 grand final.

A simple conclusion is that without the influence of this powerful Illawarra connection is that it is highly likely that the Dragons would still be waiting for its 16 premiership.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I would of been happy with Souths.

I know the Saints players from the 1950s and 1960s and early 70s.....although great foes on the field were close mates off the field.

South's and Saints supplied almost the entire Kangaroo teams in most years.

They were very close knit.

Shit....our Changa even captained AND coached them for Australia.

Now that's a COACH!!!

My remark was an observation that without Murdoch, Cronulla probably wouldn't still be in existence.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
The illawarra region is a great haven for NRL players and as a supporter am happy with St George illawarra BUT
Our training base should be at jubilee oval. Reasons as follows

1. The St George area is perfectly located to maintain existing st george emerging stars and also poach sydney stars from surrounding rival clubs such as bulldogs, Roosters, sharks and souths. Many st george locals stars are now going and lost to sharks and bulldogs juniors. Why? Because travelling to the gong is too far.

Luke Keary chose Roosters because of travel.
Bunji drive to the gong to train every day and that surely impacted his fitness with the long drive. Cooper Cronk buys in Mosman. He wouldn't consider driving to gong everyday but to the st george area ofcourse would be a bether option to consider. We are really limited by our strategic base being at the gong.

Our priority would be to encourage the 30k St George Stadium at Cooks river /Barton park to benefit both football and nrl games.Stategically this will benefit st george illawarra as a viable club for a very long time.

Also the Taj needs a major revamp to be something like the revesby workers.

I reside in Mosman and don't find it difficult to commute to Wollongong on a frequent basis.

Should I see Cronk, is there anything I should say?

I would of been happy with Souths.

I know the Saints players from the 1950s and 1960s and early 70s.....although great foes on the field were close mates off the field.

South's and Saints supplied almost the entire Kangaroo teams in most years.

They were very close knit.

Shit....our Changa even captained AND coached them for Australia.

Now that's a COACH!!!
Ditto - that would have been a great JV
Only problem is what would the strip look like?

SaintPauli

Juniors
I reside in Mosman and don't find it difficult to commute to Wollongong on a frequent basis.

Should I see Cronk, is there anything I should say?
If I had a choice between 10 minutes travel or 1.30 hours travel to work my choice would be a no brainer!

Ohhh this is good.

An 18 year old, Illawarra shaped bee is rediscovered in the bonnet and they're actually discussing what a St. George/Souths jersey would have looked like... f**king hell!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
A simple conclusion is that without the influence of this powerful Illawarra connection is that it is highly likely that the Dragons would still be waiting for its 16 premiership.
It is a simple conclusion to make, but I believe the argument is a little more complex.

St George has been recruiting players from the Illawarra since the 1920s. In fact, everything south of the Cooks River was known as Illawarra in those days. The region has always been a 'big backyard' for Rugby League and a great nursery for St George in particular.

The other fact is we no longer have any residential rules dictating where players can play. There is nothing to stop any player, regardless of their junior club, playing for any team if the contract suits both parties. Nowadays we talk about feeder clubs and players who are part of an NRL club's 'system'. But of course, even this does guarantee that a player won't be signed up by another club. Plenty of Illawarra juniors play for other clubs in the NRL.

Look at Easts, they don't have great local junior base to draw on, and heavily rely on recruiting from elsewhere. Yet, this doesn't stop them winning a premiership.

So we don't know how much credit the JV agreement can take for the 2010 premiership.

If the Steelers were simply relegated in 1999 and St George continued without the JV, it's likely we would have established an alternative arrangement with the Illawarra, and many of the same players could have found themselves in the Red V anyway.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Ohhh this is good.

An 18 year old, Illawarra shaped bee is rediscovered in the bonnet and they're actually discussing what a St. George/Souths jersey would have looked like... f**king hell!
lol. It's bloody hilarious isn't it.

Come on guys, harmless fun.
However, Souths and Saints would have been far more successful.
AND we still could have taken all the Illawarra juniors as they came through.

The Illawarra juniors would have gone to the Illawarra Sutherland Shire Steel Sharks With Laser Beams and the South Sydney Saints would be contemplating a move Perth because of board in-fighting over the acceptable level of green trim on the jerseys.

Datramp

Juniors
Ohhh this is good.

Especially given the situation souths were in at the time.

ouryear

Juniors
Only the failed trolls say that.
Get nicked.....I am one of saints most passionate fans.

I have nothing to prove Mr Administrator.

It is true however, it would have been a great combination. Saints and south's.

Everyone to their own.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Get nicked.....I am one of saints most passionate fans.

I have nothing to prove Mr Administrator.

It is true however, it would have been a great combination. Saints and south's.

Everyone to their own.
I thought you were just having some "harmless fun".

Yes, a Saints / Souths marriage. A match made in heaven.

And that's Mr Assistant Adminstrator to you.