What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons announce Mudgee partnership

Junior Dragon

Juniors

Thu 12th October, 06:45PM
1507791554948.jpg;pv73c44ed088e415e2

The St George Illawarra Dragons, in conjunction with the NRL, have today announced a two-year partnership with the New South Wales town of Mudgee that will see the club play four matches in the regional centre.

The partnership means the Red V will take an NRL Telstra Premiership game to Glen Willow Regional Sports Complex – home of the Mudgee Dragons – in both 2018 and 2019.

The date and opponent for the 2018 home game in Mudgee will be confirmed once the NRL Draw is released later this month.

The Dragons – alongside the South Sydney Rabbitohs – will also play the 35th and 36th edition of the annual Charity Shield game in Mudgee in 2018 and 2019. The 2018 Charity Shield will take place on Saturday, February 24.

Mudgee and surrounding areas in the Central West of NSW will play host to a vast number of community and development activities across the two years, with details being finalised.

Mayor of Mid-Western Regional Council Des Kennedy said the partnership is a fantastic opportunity for regional fans to watch the NRL live in action and meet them face-to-face.

"We're extremely excited to partner with the St George Illawarra Dragons and to bring two premiership games and the 2018 and 2019 Charity Shields to the region," Cr Kennedy said.

"It shows the club's faith in our world class facility that, in May this year, hosted the final ever Country vs City Origin before a crowd of more than 8,300.

"The St. George-Illawarra Dragons are a natural fit with Mudgee given that our Group 10 side are the Mudgee Dragons. This two-year partnership and the respective four games will be well supported by our local and wider regional community."

Dragons' Chairman Brian Johnston said the Dragons' partnership with Mudgee will prove important in the long-term prosperity of country rugby league.

"The Dragons have a large and avid supporter base across all regional markets, in particular the Central West region of NSW," Chairman Johnston said.

"The opportunity to form a partnership with the Mid-Western Regional Council to play games in Mudgee ensures the Dragons play a leading role in the continued development of rugby league in the bush, and will enable us to further develop our brand in this important region.

"We enjoy a long standing association with the Mudgee Dragons, and through Mayor Des Kennedy the Council have expressed a strong desire to see the Dragons play in Mudgee particularly given the quality of the Glen Willow facilities," Johnston added.

"I grew up in Dunedoo myself so I understand first-hand what bringing the NRL to Mudgee will mean to the Central West. The Dragons look forward to having great support when we are in town for the Charity Shield in February."

Confirmation that an NRL Premiership home game will be played in Mudgee completes the Dragons' home venue structure for 2018.

It follows the Dragons' recent commitmentto play five home games each at UOW Jubilee Oval, Kogarah and WIN Stadium, Wollongong, in addition to the annual ANZAC Day match at Allianz Stadium.

Ticketing details for the Charity Shield and NRL fixture are still to be finalised and will be communicated to all supporters as soon as possible.

All Red V Members will be provided with an exclusive pre-purchase window and receive discounts on match tickets.

A specific Dragons Faithful Mudgee package will also be made available within the Red V Membership program, providing tickets to both the Charity Shield and Mudgee Premiership game in 2018.

ouryear

Juniors

The St George Illawarra Dragons, in conjunction with the NRL, have today announced a two-year partnership with the New South Wales town of Mudgee that will see the club play four matches in the regional centre.

The partnership means the Red V will take an NRL Telstra Premiership game to Glen Willow Regional Sports Complex – home of the Mudgee Dragons – in both 2018 and 2019.

The date and opponent for the 2018 home game in Mudgee will be confirmed once the NRL Draw is released later this month.

The Dragons – alongside the South Sydney Rabbitohs – will also play the 35th and 36th edition of the annual Charity Shield game in Mudgee in 2018 and 2019. The 2018 Charity Shield will take place on Saturday, February 24.

Mudgee and surrounding areas in the Central West of NSW will play host to a vast number of community and development activities across the two years, with details being finalised.

Mayor of Mid-Western Regional Council Des Kennedy said the partnership is a fantastic opportunity for regional fans to watch the NRL live in action and meet them face-to-face.

"We're extremely excited to partner with the St George Illawarra Dragons and to bring two premiership games and the 2018 and 2019 Charity Shields to the region," Cr Kennedy said.

"It shows the club's faith in our world class facility that, in May this year, hosted the final ever Country vs City Origin before a crowd of more than 8,300.

"The St. George-Illawarra Dragons are a natural fit with Mudgee given that our Group 10 side are the Mudgee Dragons. This two-year partnership and the respective four games will be well supported by our local and wider regional community."

Dragons' Chairman Brian Johnston said the Dragons' partnership with Mudgee will prove important in the long-term prosperity of country rugby league.

"The Dragons have a large and avid supporter base across all regional markets, in particular the Central West region of NSW," Chairman Johnston said.

"The opportunity to form a partnership with the Mid-Western Regional Council to play games in Mudgee ensures the Dragons play a leading role in the continued development of rugby league in the bush, and will enable us to further develop our brand in this important region.

"We enjoy a long standing association with the Mudgee Dragons, and through Mayor Des Kennedy the Council have expressed a strong desire to see the Dragons play in Mudgee particularly given the quality of the Glen Willow facilities," Johnston added.

"I grew up in Dunedoo myself so I understand first-hand what bringing the NRL to Mudgee will mean to the Central West. The Dragons look forward to having great support when we are in town for the Charity Shield in February."

Confirmation that an NRL Premiership home game will be played in Mudgee completes the Dragons' home venue structure for 2018.

It follows the Dragons' recent commitmentto play five home games each at UOW Jubilee Oval, Kogarah and WIN Stadium, Wollongong, in addition to the annual ANZAC Day match at Allianz Stadium.

Ticketing details for the Charity Shield and NRL fixture are still to be finalised and will be communicated to all supporters as soon as possible.

All Red V Members will be provided with an exclusive pre-purchase window and receive discounts on match tickets.

A specific Dragons Faithful Mudgee package will also be made available within the Red V Membership program, providing tickets to both the Charity Shield and Mudgee Premiership game in 2018.

I like this!

ouryear

Juniors
We have truck loads of fans in the country......dragons and red and white everywhere.

I travel through there for work many times a year, calling on hundreds of customers who love their league.

It was an eye opener to see our fans are growing on trees out there!

There are so many Dragon fans they have to be picked off the trees by fruit picking backpackers!

A passionate sell out for sure!

Part of our heartland, our new FORTRESS

Last edited:

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
While the concept has merit, I'm a bit disappointed because the CS usually coincidences with my birthday.

getsmarty

Immortal
Mudgee to host Dragons NRL games for next two seasons

Mitch Jennings@@Mitch_Jenno

12 Oct 2017, 7 p.m.
r0_0_4837_3225_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

GOING BUSH: St George Illawarra will take a home match to Glen Willow Sports Complex, Mudgee for the next two seasons.

ST GEORGE Illawarra will take two home games west to Mudgee as part of a two-year agreement to take NRL games to the bush.

The traditional Charity Shield clash will also take place at Glen Willow Regional Sporting Complex in 2018 and 2019 as part of the agreement with Mid-Western Regional Council.

It follows confirmation the Dragons will play 10 of their 12 home games at their spiritual homes of WIN Stadium and Kogarah in 2018.

UOW Jubilee Oval will host five home matches, as it did this season, while Wollongong will pick up an additional home match, one up on the four fixtures it’s hosted for the past three seasons.

The Dragons also host the annual Anzac Day clash with the Roosters next year, that will be played at it’s regular home of Allianz Stadium.

It’s a departure from the unpopular ‘Right Game Right Venue’ strategy the club has pursued for the past three years that saw home matches taken to ANZ Stadium.

It comes amid uncertainty surrounding the NSW government’s plans to upgrade it's major stadium network, prompting the club to look for alternative revenue streams.

With the venue already the home of Group 10 side the Mudgee Dragons, St George-Illawarra chairman Brian Johnston said the partnership was a natural fit.

"The Dragons have a large and avid supporter base across all regional markets, in particular the Central West region of NSW," Johnston said.

"We enjoy a long standing association with the Mudgee Dragons, and through Mayor Des Kennedy, the council have expressed a strong desire to see the Dragons play in Mudgee, particularly given the quality of the Glen Willow facilities.

"I grew up in Dunedoo myself so I understand first-hand what bringing the NRL to Mudgee will mean to the Central West.”

Mayor of Mid-Western Regional Council Des Kennedy welcomed the two-year partnership that will begin with February’s Charity Shield.

"We're extremely excited to partner with St George Illawarra to bring two premiership games and the 2018 and 2019 Charity Shields to the region," Cr Kennedy said.

"It shows the club's faith in our world class facility that, in May this year, hosted the final ever Country versus City Origin before a crowd of more than 8,300.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4984337/dragons-to-take-home-games-to-the-country/?cs=302

getsmarty

Immortal

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/10/12/dragons_announce_mud.html

Brutalitops

Juniors
The Dragons are heading up, my friends.

I know, the coach sucks, the board sucks, but I genuinely feel the next 5 years will be better than the last 5.

With the coach scenario fixed we may even get a premiership in that window

SEAT 1A

Bench
Great idea. Keeping away from the Homebush hole and out in rural Australia where so many of the dragons fans and players have come from. Hope they show it on free to air.

Agree Weipa Dragon. We are able to see the team when we like ie memberships and the crowds haven't been that crash hot over the last few years due to different dates and gigs by memory.

Give the locals something to cheer for and watch a live match over the next few years.

Emu01

Juniors
We give Doust and the board a lot of crap on here, but I believe this is the best decision I have seen the club make since we signed Bennett.. Great news for the fans!

grouch

First Grade
haha this forum is adorable.

For years we were sold the "Right Game Right Venue" lie by the club. The rationale being that certain games were to be transformed into "marquee events like Anzac Day" (i'm paraphrasing the club's official announcement here), and that we'd outgrown our antiquated subrurban homes, supposedly. Yet here we are, taking a competition match to a town whose population wouldn't fill Kogarah. Hilarious stuff. Such ambition!

Whether this is a good idea or bad idea, is basically irrelevant. The fact is we are taking a game to Mudgee for the same reasons we embarked on the disastrous "Right Game Right Venue" fiasco. And that reason is: because the NRL told us to. We are broke and they pay the bills, so we do what we're told. Everything else is spin and propaganda

Look, I'm not knocking Mudgee. It's a great place to spend a weekend, and they produce a great shiraz which is my favourite variety. Better than where the NRL are sending the other broke clubs they control - Tigers to Tamworth, Titans to Toowoomba.

Latest posts