What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

What a whacky discussion we're having on Bellamy.

Just look at the way players rave about him, including future immortals and others who have played under numerous coaches. You'll never find such genuine respect directed towards the likes of Mary or Kearney.

Bellamy is a coach of the highest order. Any inconsistent view is simply whacky.

Straight Shooter

LINESPEED

Juniors
He did? Who was that?
Boyd, Smith, Costigan & Weyman were tough hombres!
One of my great memories of that team was Boyd's linking with BMoz - so many beautiful tries. Hopefully Dufty develops like that too.
But this retrograde coach just tells him to pass the ball to Nene in Wonderland FFS
People conveniently forget that Bellamy, ike Flanagan, was a cheat?

Last edited:

BennyV

Referee
Boyd, Smith, Costigan & Weyman were tough hombres!
One of my great memories of that team was Boyd's linking with BMoz - so many beautiful tries. Hopefully Dufty develops like that too.
But this retrograde coach just tells him to pass the ball to Nene in Wonderland FFS
People conveniently forget that Bellamy, ike Flanagan, was a cheat?
Of those guys, the only one classed as a 'winner' was Smith.

Weyman was a loose canon on his last straw.
Costigan was pushed out of Broncos.
Boyd was a decent winger.

Wayne made them into champions. Same as Bellamymakes all players who comes through the Storm system into champions.

I hate the purple scum as much as anyone, but anyone claiming Bellamy isn't in the top tier of coaches either doesn't know rugby league or is full of sour grapes...

Qdf

Juniors
Yeah, until Bellamy wins titles with other clubs his legacy will be incomplete.
He must think about that.
Whether he has the energy and ability to transfer his whole system to the Dragons is another matter. Would he have the power to clean out the Old Boys' deadwood? Remedy the choker syndrome?
I don't think he has the balls to move camp anyway.
Even Bennett lost 9 on the trot in 2011.
Bennett brought a core of winners with him, whereas Bellamy would be without Smith, Slater & Cronk in 2019.
Bennett's tarnished his legacy with Newcastle & left 2 clubs in tatters. That's a fail.
If he'd gone to the Bunnies he'd've won 2 titles and been truly famous.
Poor JetSki must quietly wonder, with the roster he's got, why the stars never align.
Mate, the players either want to bleed for you or they don't.
For you they never will.
It's about personality, organisational skill & sheer nous.

It's about coaching gravitas - aka real men like Provan & Gibson.

Where's your shame?

FMD this is a great club who needs great people - not hacks!

So Mary, fall on your sword & think about the fans & give us Des & let Doust stop dreaming of Bellamy fairy tales
That will never happen,Mary like Doust will never take their noses out of the trough.
Yeah, until Bellamy wins titles with other clubs his legacy will be incomplete.
He must think about that.
Whether he has the energy and ability to transfer his whole system to the Dragons is another matter. Would he have the power to clean out the Old Boys' deadwood? Remedy the choker syndrome?
I don't think he has the balls to move camp anyway.
Even Bennett lost 9 on the trot in 2011.
Bennett brought a core of winners with him, whereas Bellamy would be without Smith, Slater & Cronk in 2019.
Bennett's tarnished his legacy with Newcastle & left 2 clubs in tatters. That's a fail.
If he'd gone to the Bunnies he'd've won 2 titles and been truly famous.
Poor JetSki must quietly wonder, with the roster he's got, why the stars never align.
Mate, the players either want to bleed for you or they don't.
For you they never will.
It's about personality, organisational skill & sheer nous.

It's about coaching gravitas - aka real men like Provan & Gibson.

Where's your shame?

FMD this is a great club who needs great people - not hacks!

So Mary, fall on your sword & think about the fans & give us Des & let Doust stop dreaming of Bellamy fairy tales

LINESPEED

Juniors

Wayne made them into champions. Same as Bellamymakes all players who comes through the Storm system into champions.

I hate the purple scum as much as anyone, but anyone claiming Bellamy isn't in the top tier of coaches either doesn't know rugby league or is full of sour grapes...

Without splitting hairs and talking semantics, I'm sure Bennett saw those 4 guys as winners, otherwise why would he rightfully select them in his grand final run on side in 2010.
3 of them were the hard hitters of the NRL & Bennett especially wanted Costigan in that grand final team. That happened & the rest was history - and my mate and I travelled 2000km to be there.
Just about the best day of our lives to be there for that win, especially after being at the 1979 win. We partied on to Jubilee Oval and I walked onto the turf there for the first time since I'd played juniors with Bexley Kingsgrove in the 60's.
Then on to the Leagues Club for a full on piss up.Happy days.

But remembering now walking up those stairs 7 years ago, with all that proud history in your face, the Frank Facers, Provans, Walshes - and all those great players, you can only lament at where we've come to today: inept coaching, snouts in the trough, the butt of jokes, no executive transparency, no renewal, no phone calls WANTING to play for the club.
The bitter choke against the Bulldogs.
Always struggling.

Anyway, the above boys have 6 grand final rings between them & Costigan would've had the 7th in 2006 with Broncos - only for an off field indiscretion.
Winners are grinners as they say
Hopefully the gods smile on us or fate intervenes and Mary goes AWOL somewhere in 2018, so we can all be smiling come next October

Last edited:

Como Connection

First Grade
Without splitting hairs and talking semantics, I'm sure Bennett saw those 4 guys as winners, otherwise why would he rightfully select them in his grand final run on side in 2010.
3 of them were the hard hitters of the NRL & Bennett especially wanted Costigan in that grand final team. That happened & the rest was history - and my mate and I travelled 2000km to be there.
Just about the best day of our lives to be there for that win, especially after being at the 1979 win. We partied on to Jubilee Oval and I walked onto the turf there for the first time since I'd played juniors with Bexley Kingsgrove in the 60's.

But remembering now walking up those stairs 7 years ago, with all that proud history in your face, the Frank Facers, Provans, Walshes - and all those great players, you can only lament at where we've come to today: inept coaching, snouts in the trough, the butt of jokes, no executive transparency, no renewal, no phone calls WANTING to play for the club.
Always struggling.

Anyway, the above boys have 6 grand final rings between them & Costigan would've had the 7th in 2006 with Broncos - only for an off field indiscretion.
Hopefully the gods smile on us or fate intervenes and Mary goes AWOL somewhere in 2018, so we can all be smiling come next October
Don't forget Saffy.
CC

ouryear

Juniors
What a whacky discussion we're having on Bellamy.

Just look at the way players rave about him, including future immortals and others who have played under numerous coaches. You'll never find such genuine respect directed towards the likes of Mary or Kearney.

Bellamy is a coach of the highest order. Any inconsistent view is simply whacky.

Straight Shooter

That's true OV, but consider...if you were a player who played in a club... and under a coach.....who condoned major salary cap rorting, making your life MUCH easier BECAUSE you played alongside HALF the QLD SOO team EVERY week and also received EXTRA UNTAXED bags of cash, cars, boats and house repayments......

Wouldn't you also love the prick?

Of course the Storm players love him, he has helped the club Rort... and the players get the CASH.

Imagine playing alongside half the SOO team every week.....Versus being a poor bloody knights player playing with a bunch of kids next to you.

Or a dragon playing alongside bloody McCrone every week.

I am not saying he is not a good coach, I am saying he cannot be considered great ....until he coaches another team to the top.

You do realise also....He has lost a STACK of semi final games where the storm were punted ..and lost 40 to blot in a GF vs Manly.

Poor baby

ouryear

Juniors

He has coached ONE TEAM ONLY.
A team that has had truckloads of extra cash vs other clubs.

It's no different to one cricket team playing with big fat bats and making other teams play with golf sticks.

Like I say....let him prove it with another team....if he has the balls to do so.

I doubt it....ITS CALLED COMFORT ZONE!

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Just a quick question , when we referrer to St George Illawarra , are the 11 straight Premierships and the rest still associated with us now or is that just history ? Is St George Illawarra only showing 1 Premiership win 2010 ? I hope not ...

Hi Hazz,
I think if two teams merge, then everything that they achieved individually should now be combined as one.
We can’t throw away history so to do anything else would be ( in my opinion ) ... would be wrong.

Crush

Coach
Bellamy is clearly a great coach. Anyone who disagrees is letting emotion cloud their vision. Yes I hate the storm more than any other club perhaps but Bellamy is a gun coach that consistantly gets the best out of his players. Smith, Cronk, Billy are immortals but they probably owe part of that to Bellamy and his coaching.

ouryear

Juniors

Always struggling.

100% right Linespeed, Creeping knew for sure those boys were tough, no nonsense players, loved winning, wouldn't give up.... and would play DIRECT.

Hallelujah!!

AND he knew they would buy into his game plan.

Every one of them were tough, rattled opposition players, had a mean streak and wanted to bloody win.

I still miss every single one. I was flabbergasted the club never held onto them,.understand Darius.....But all the others should have been kept... AND Beau fantastic Scott as well.

Those guys still had 2 + good yrs in them.

The ONLY mistake Bennett made was in 2011 when we had around 6 players in state of origin I think we should have rested them all for a few weeks....given up a few games......But come roaring home in August and September.

As it was, we lost to donkeys by 1 lousy point from memory in the final.

The boys were knackered from SOO.

Had we rested our boys after SOO for 2 weeks.... I believe we would have went back to back.....easily

Last edited:

Crush

Coach
100% right Linespeed, Creeping knew for sure those boys were tough, no nonsense players, loved winning, wouldn't give up.... and would play DIRECT.

Hallelujah!!

AND he knew they would buy into his game plan.

Every one of them were tough, rattled opposition players, had a mean streak and wanted to bloody win.

I still miss every single one. I was flabbergasted the club never held onto them,.understand Darius.....But all the others should have been kept... AND Beau fantastic Scott as well.

Those guys still had 2 + good yrs in them.

The ONLY mistake Bennett made was in 2011 when we had around 6 players in state of origin .He should have rested them All for a few weeks, given up a few games......But come roaring home in September.

As it was we lost to donkeys by 1 lousy point from memory in the final.

The boys were knackered from SOO.

Had we rested our boys after SOO for 2 weeks.... I believe we would have went back to back.....easily
I don't know that they were "knackered" from SOO, they just lost momentum and lost confidence. Soward was classic example. He lost it after having a shocker in origin 1.

ouryear

Juniors
I don't know that they were "knackered" from SOO, they just lost momentum and lost confidence. Soward was classic example. He lost it after having a shocker in origin 1.

Probably a bit of both....But 3 SOO matches, the mental fatigue....injuries.....plus backing up every week takes its toll.

THis year, Storm rested Cronk wasn't it....Or Smith....our boys looked mentally and.physically busted.

Losing momentum happens when those things occur....either way, Creeping needed to give then some rec leave. Well....That's what I think.

LINESPEED

Juniors
And replaced by Hasler surely!!!
He seems to me the only decent option atm.
Would love to know what's going on with him - up against a novice like Demetriou for the Titan's job? Really?
This man deserves more respect
5 grand final appearances with 2 clubs is only matched by the great innovator and LINESPEED tactician Gibson ( pardon the promo)
An impeccable record
He was done in and messed with by the treachery of the Grub cliques & Bankstown mafia
- all that 'not part of the family' Grub bullshit. That messed with the players' heads too!
A few months ago all you guys on here were screaming for him. Well he's certainly available now.
Graham loves him & has said Des made him a better footballer & man FFS.
Bloody hell, we could win the comp in 2018 with him. WTF's going on?
Ring him Plodder (we'd get him cheaper now that he seems to be not the flavour of the month) - act like a CEO and sack Mary before the preseason - and you'll probably save your own arse for a few more years, cause Mary won't buy you much more time, that's for sure

Last edited:

ouryear

Juniors
And replaced by Hasler surely!!!
He seems to me the only decent option atm.
Would love to know what's going on with him - up against Demetriou for the Titan's job? Really?
This man deserves more respect
5 grand final appearances with 2 clubs is only matched by the great innovator and LINESPEED tactician Gibson ( pardon the promo)
An impeccable record
He was done in and messed with by the treachery of the Grub cliques & Bankstown mafia
- all that 'not part of the family' Grub bullshit. That messed with the players' heads too!
A few months ago all you guys on here were screaming for him. Well he's certainly available now.
Graham loves him & has said Des made him a better footballer & man FFS.
Bloody hell, we could win the comp in 2018 with him. WTF's going on?
Ring him Plodder (we'd get him cheaper now that he seems to be not the flavour of the month) - act like a CEO and sack Mary before the preseason
AND the Titans job is between JD
and Madge.....Dessie didn't make the final cut.

LINESPEED

Juniors
AND the Titans job is between JD
and Madge.....Dessie didn't make the final cut.

Wow!
Dessie's there for the taking can u believe it!!
So Plodder's basically choosing Mc Loser over Hasler!?
That sounds like flagellation and self destruction to me. Whadaya reckon?

Last edited: