What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Balkan Super League

adamkungl

Immortal
It seems like this concept has kicked off.

The Turkish team had a big win over the Bulgarian team

http://ragbiligesrbije.rs/kadikoy-bulls-lokomotiv-54-10/

The Facebook site seems to have some clips and it appears one to the games was streamed live. Anyone know what the crowd or general feedback has been?

Ok lets see..

https://www.facebook.com/bslrugbyleague/?ref=br_rs
Their FB group has 717 likes, so get on that

They post regular updates which include results, full replays and/or streams

8 teams

A GROUP:

1. RLC Partisan, Belgrade, Serbia
  2. RLC Novi Beograd, Belgrade, Serbia
  3. Rugby 13 club Vitez, Vitez, Bosnia & Hertzegovina
  4. RLC Radnicki, Nis, Serbia
B GROUP:

1. RLC Red Star, Belgrade, Serbia
  2. RC Dorcol, Belgrade, Serbia
  3. Kadikoy Bulls Rugby League Club, Istanbul, Turkey
  4. RLC Lokomotiv, Sofia, Bulgaria

Apparently Greeks interested for next year

Dakink

Bench
From Facebook;

4 Greek teams looking to join Balkan Super League. Can anyone on the ground there tell me more about this comp? What is the state of the game in Greece?

Pretty sure there's only four teams in Greece so I guess they will play in this comp in addition to their local league. It would be a big boost to small leagues to be able to supplement their domestic season with games against clubs from other countries. It's a massive advantage that this part of the world has, although the distances and costs involved must still be challenging.

yakstorm

First Grade
I wonder if they'll let all four join, of if they'll only let the premiers / top two into the competition...

For the first season, the plan was only to have a maximum of three clubs from Serbia, with the tournament acting a bit like a Champions League, however when Hungary pulled out late, they added a fourth Serbian club.

I'll be curious to see what approach they take as I imagine Hungary will be keen to take part again and since then Turkey has also grown.

Wonder if through this competition they can make some inroads into the likes of Albania, Kosovo, Croatia, etc and get them playing League as well.

deluded pom?

Coach
I wonder if they'll let all four join, of if they'll only let the premiers / top two into the competition...

For the first season, the plan was only to have a maximum of three clubs from Serbia, with the tournament acting a bit like a Champions League, however when Hungary pulled out late, they added a fourth Serbian club.

I'll be curious to see what approach they take as I imagine Hungary will be keen to take part again and since then Turkey has also grown.

Wonder if through this competition they can make some inroads into the likes of Albania, Kosovo, Croatia, etc and get them playing League as well.
There was an Albanian representative at the last full RLEF meeting.

Jankuloski

Juniors
To my knowledge no sports team from Serbia, pro or amateur, played a game in Kosovo. The security and political risk is too great for SRF to let this happen.

Croatia is unlikely as they have a strong union comp and a long standing tradition of union.

Montenegro actually has a recently developped RU comp that may switch once the wealthy backers of clubs (mostly foreign developpers on projects currently being built in Montenegro) leave.

Greeks are fickle lot, from memory they actually started League the same time as us, but since disappeared. I've seen more talk of Greek administrators than of teams playing.

Bulgaria and Turkey are massive opportunities and the two teams involved are well organized with strong player numbers. My guess strengthening these two would advance the game most.

Talk od semi pro leagues is pie in the sky stuff. Best bet is that teams from France and UK link up with teams here so they pick up talented youngsters into their development systems. A couple of players found success in France, none in the UK. The key is to get them into the system as early as possible. A lot of kids have the raw talent, but they don't learn game structure or strategy in the domestic comp. Even though they're phisically strong and competitive if they go over at 18 they are a couple of years behind in development compared to their peers. There was a U16 European Championship held here a few years back. Watching the English and French kids play was mind blowing in terms of organization and on field game management.

Thanks for posting fellas. Money from the World Cup needs to put into some of these developing comps, may be a pipe dream , but these tough Baltic countries are built for league.
I'm sure the Baltic countries would be too. But these are Balkan countries. The clue is in the name.

That's not certain. 12 seems certain, with the possibility of 15 they say. I wish them all the best but they should also consider quality rather than just quantity.
That's why I said "up to".

If clubs from various countries want to play and have the resources to travel and compete they should play. I don't know why you would stop them.

langpark

First Grade
That's why I said "up to".

If clubs from various countries want to play and have the resources to travel and compete they should play. I don't know why you would stop them.
The reason I'd go for the slow-and-steady cautious approach is because quite often borderline teams will verbally commit to it, only to pull out at the last-minute. That's why I'd go for a more conservative approach.

adamkungl

Immortal
I'm surprised amateur teams and players have the financial ability and time for the kind of travel this competition requires!
I'd think something like this would be a rep comp with local club comps running beneath it

It's more of an extension of domestic leagues for clubs who want to play more. Most clubs would be union clubs or have union players and can't or won't play beyond the short domestic season. This is a way for some of them to extend their fixtures. Like the Turkish club whose players were threatened by union for doing so. It's obviously being driven by Serbia who continue to lead the way in promoting and organising events in that part of the world and they need more support. Quite frankly, the fact some countries who can't even get a domestic comp going are playing on the biggest stage and others who are doing wonders are almost fogotten is pretty appalling.