What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jason Taumalolo opts to play for Tonga

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clarkent

Juniors
That’s unbelievable! The fans are awesome. I hope Tonga make the final. Would be great for the game
Wait until they arrive in Auckland! I remember the rugby union world cup and the fans we're crazy at the airport! What taumalolo did is gonna fire up he's nation and there fans are gonna be all there to support them... Actually can't wait to watch them play

Clarkent

Juniors
What money? They have no revenue as they play no games, they don't seem to lobby for govt funding and only just managed to get a front jersey sponsor last week.

National team payments should be the jurisdiction of the individual nations not the NRL, RFL or RLIF.
The island nation will never have the money like Australia and NZ do... They need all the help they can get if they wanna grow the international game... Tonga's national sport is not even rugby league so that makes it even more harder! That's why I'm happy taumalolo and fifita turned to help Tonga cause if they do well at this world they would actually make rugby league the main sport in Tonga

Clarkent

Juniors
Been watching some of the videos in Tonga on social media and they're getting swarmed by there fans everywhere they go... Especially taumalolo getting hugged by crying fans and thanking him for turning down the kiwi Jersey to represent Tonga... I mean tonga has very little chance of winning this world cup but these people don't care... I hope Tonga do play well for them... Can't wait until they get to auckland cause there's more Tongans in Auckland then there are in tonga

roughyedspud

Coach
I see the kiwis are still whinging..

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?objectid=11932927&ref=twitter

Kiwis selector Hugh McGahan is sick of Australia using State of Origin as a recruitment tool and says it's time New Zealanders were allowed to play for Queensland or New South Wales.

The former Kiwis captain is fed up with New Zealand-eligible players being lured away by the Origin carrot - which forces them to align with Australia.

It's not a new problem, but the former Roosters lock believes it's unfair the Kiwis have missed out on top-line players such as Penrith and New South Wales front rower James Tamou and emerging Newcastle Knights star Kalyn Ponga - while New Zealand and England players remain ineligible for State of Origin.

"The Australians are using Origin as a tool to grab all the best New Zealand kids, and Tongan and Samoan kids, to be eligible for New South Wales or Queensland to be in line for selection for Australia," McGahan told Newstalk ZB's Tony Veitch.

adamkungl

Immortal
It's the RL way, sook about what everyone else is doing instead of trying to improve to their level.
There's nothing stopping the Kiwis from setting up their own mid-season rep program except lack of effort.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Getting spicy, can't wait for the nz tonga game! This is just what the tournament needed. Some hype and controversy but in a good way.
Anyone who says international rugby league isn't important for the growth of the game has no idea!

Former NRL player John Hopoate has threatened to "bash" New Zealand rugby league captain Adam Blair over his criticism of Jason Taumalolo and the North Queensland star's decision to play for Tonga at the Rugby League World Cup.
https://www.msn.com/en-nz/sport/rugby-league/ill-bash-adam-blair-hoppa/ar-AAtnjfX

johnny plath

Juniors
Been watching some of the videos in Tonga on social media and they're getting swarmed by there fans everywhere they go... Especially taumalolo getting hugged by crying fans and thanking him for turning down the kiwi Jersey to represent Tonga... I mean tonga has very little chance of winning this world cup but these people don't care... I hope Tonga do play well for them... Can't wait until they get to auckland cause there's more Tongans in Auckland then there are in tonga
I'm confused....Where did all these fans come from... I thought the Tongan community only want born and bred Tongans in there team... thats what I read on these forums.

Clarkent

Juniors
I'm confused....Where did all these fans come from... I thought the Tongan community only want born and bred Tongans in there team... thats what I read on
So your assuming all those locals celebrating with the tongan team all in this forum lol nah there's always gonna be tongan people against it but I'm pretty sure there's more supporting them for there decision to play for Tonga... Taumalolo is basically a king to them at this point... The tongan community in Auckland are gonna make there local supporters look like amateurs... Can't wait for this Pool B to start now... Gonna be some good games... Kiwis trying to payback taumalolo for ditching them and Tonga to answer back with no fear... And then probably the greatest rivalry out there Tonga vs Samoa is gonna be physical! Can't wait

AJB1102

First Grade
Getting spicy, can't wait for the nz tonga game! This is just what the tournament needed. Some hype and controversy but in a good way.
Anyone who says international rugby league isn't important for the growth of the game has no idea!

Former NRL player John Hopoate has threatened to "bash" New Zealand rugby league captain Adam Blair over his criticism of Jason Taumalolo and the North Queensland star's decision to play for Tonga at the Rugby League World Cup.
https://www.msn.com/en-nz/sport/rugby-league/ill-bash-adam-blair-hoppa/ar-AAtnjfX

"And who the hell is Adam Blair? I'll bash Adam Blair, I don't care, I'll bash him."

hahaha classic Hoppa!

adamkungl

Immortal
You really think the NRL and ESL clubs would allow NZ players to go through a rep series?! Playa, pulleasse

If they actually tried to and were blocked while Australia are allowed to have 3 Origin games, *then* they'd have something decent to whinge about

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
If they actually tried to and were blocked while Australia are allowed to have 3 Origin games, *then* they'd have something decent to whinge about

The previous NZRL CEO Phil Holden discussed this with us during a road show a few years back. He said it was blocked by the NRL clubs because they are already weakend by losing there SOO players.

He also mentioned that playing extra test matches during this period was blocked by the club's.

adamkungl

Immortal
Fair enough then, whinge away.
Get it in the papers, call the NRL racists, threaten to have the Warriors break away!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts