What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players, the best and worst public speakers.?

T-Boon

Coach
It is a very important issues as I have heard a lot of mums comment on how intelligent other codes players sound in comparison to RL.

That said I don't think the NRL or clubs should try to do anything about it because I don't think anything can be done. It is too culturally ingrained. We should just accept it...

Life's Good

Coach
It is a very important issues as I have heard a lot of mums comment on how intelligent other codes players sound in comparison to RL.

That said I don't think the NRL or clubs should try to do anything about it because I don't think anything can be done. It is too culturally ingrained. We should just accept it...
I don’t see it that way. For me the problem is two fold - Club media depts are lazy as f*ck for not taking the time to put some polish on players & the general media love to perpetuate the boof head image by not demanding higher standards of how players are presented(I think you have also mentioned the poor quality of media output, or something along those lines).

Chimp

Bench
Isack Luke is woeful, sounds so dumb.
Agreed - he doesn't even sound like he can actually speak, just grunts and huffs...
Someone nominated Gallen as the worst - I actually think Gallen is one of the most articulate, but also doesn't give the same boring media training answers you get from most - he doesn't avoid the difficult issues and gives what appear to be his genuine opinions. I heard him on Triple M a couple of weeks ago talking about Will Chambers - he was full of admiration for him as a player, but then also shared his thoughts on him as a bloke, which was quite the opposite. The game needs for of that! Bring back some theatre.

What about dumbest/smartest sounding coach?
Dumbest: Steve Kearney.
Smartest: ....

Trent Robinson would be amongst the best in my opinion. Only coach I know of who, when coaching a team in a non-English region (namely Le Catalans in France) made the time to learn the language. He can speak French fluently as a result.

Lemon Squash

First Grade
Gillett would be digging ditches or still working at Maccas if he couldn't play footy, he has the vocabulary of Hodor.

First thing that came to mind with this thread was Israel Folau,I remember vividly in his first season as a 17/18 year old he got the Dally M for top try scorer and they interviewed him in the middle of the night in front of the whole crowd.... poor kid was absolutely shitting himself, couldn't string two words together.

I think it was more raw nerves rather than lack of intelligence... I remember thinking that the Storm knew he was going to win the award why didn't they get him prepared better.

He has really improved over the years though, even before he went to AFL and Rugby he had improved greatly.

Gillett would be digging ditches or still working at Maccas if he couldn't play footy, he has the vocabulary of Hodor.

First thing that came to mind with this thread was Israel Folau,I remember vividly in his first season as a 17/18 year old he got the Dally M for top try scorer and they interviewed him in the middle of the night in front of the whole crowd.... poor kid was absolutely shitting himself, couldn't string two words together.

I think it was more raw nerves rather than lack of intelligence... I remember thinking that the Storm knew he was going to win the award why didn't they get him prepared better.

He has really improved over the years though, even before he went to AFL and Rugby he had improved greatly.

It is not uncommon that some league players don't speak well in crowds, or to people they don't know, as they don't have the personal skills. First time I spoke to Anthony Minichiello was at the club's end of season presentation night in 1999. This was the year before his first grade debut. I was at the same table as him, but he barely said "boo" to anyone all night. He was a 19 year old who had no experience in public speaking. You hear him now you would not think he had a problem speaking in public when he was younger.

Trent Robinson would be amongst the best in my opinion. Only coach I know of who, when coaching a team in a non-English region (namely Le Catalans in France) made the time to learn the language. He can speak French fluently as a result.

It surely helped that he has a French wife. But he speaks good grammatical French with a heavy Australian accent. Unlike Tas Baitieri's son Jason (lock forward for Catalans), born in France to a French mother, who speaks fluent French with a good French accent.

Most intelligent and articulate of elite NRL players is Cooper Cronk. Once he gets his nose straightened he will be a media star.

Cameron Smith is good but not as smart as Cronk.

AJB1102

First Grade
It surely helped that he has a French wife. But he speaks good grammatical French with a heavy Australian accent. Unlike Tas Baitieri's son Jason (lock forward for Catalans), born in France to a French mother, who speaks fluent French with a good French accent.

The guy born in France to a French mother speaks good French.. well I'll be baguetted!

Latest posts