What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Draw

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
It's an interesting idea; but it's hard to see how it would work for Gladstone. As a former Gladstone boy few of the issues I see;

1. Gladstone is 600km north of the Gold Coast.

2. Gladstone is not "South Queensland". Once you are north of Hervey Bay it's Central QLD. And you have to understand the regional mindset - South East Queensland is the Sunshine Coast/Brisbane/Gold Coast metropolis. It's the base of an out of touch government and it's where nearly all the states revenue gets spent on infrastructure - the Bruce Highway is a disgrace, regional hospitals are under funded etc. etc. The South east wants daylight savings ffs. :eek: Gladstone identifies far more with Townsville which has similar industries and issues than with the glamour strip.

3. CQ does not want the leftovers of a South East team. They have developed a fine proposal for a local team in Rockhampton (100 km north) which captures the significant local junior base.

Don't get me wrong. I think the Titans taking a game or two a year to Gladstone or Rocky is a great idea and would be good for the region and for the Titans in the same way that the Bulldogs/Mackay relationship worked for a couple of years. Just don't try to play the inclusive part-of-South-Queensland card - that'll get the locals right off side.

2849695_1_M.jpg

Central Qld is not getting a team any time soon and the Cowboys don seem keen to move games, so i wouldnt be too picky about the games you get

Even if you dont call Gladstone South Queensland, it is undoubtable REGIONAL Qld which is still te demographic and club brand that the Titans should be going for.

insert.pause

First Grade
The first game of the season should be an event, not a game played in front of a half full suburban ground on a Thursday night. It was a flat start this year with a
Sharks v Broncos in front of 11k in Cronulla.

Raiderdave

First Grade
The first game of the season should be an event, not a game played in front of a half full suburban ground on a Thursday night. It was a flat start this year with a

can't be an event if its on a Thursday even if it is the opener
it'd half full suncorp , or 1/4 full Allianz , or a 12.5% full ANZ
we've complained about the slot all year , we don't want the biggest match ups wasted on Thursdays

the round will truly start at the DH anyway
should be a watershed event for the game....

Valheru

Coach
That Tigers/Roosters game should get 20k+, maybe even 25k.

The Tedesco factor.... in between summer and winter season for kids sport... day game.

The weather is the wild card, being early March n Sydney it could be 40 degrees or 20 and pissing down or anywhere in between.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
"Why not play the game at Suncorp"?

Because Brisbane struggle to attract people on Thursday nights as opposed to other timeslots...

Vic Mackey

Referee

The Tedesco factor.... in between summer and winter season for kids sport... day game.

The weather is the wild card, being early March n Sydney it could be 40 degrees or 20 and pissing down or anywhere in between.

4pm Saturday at Homebush, unlikely

if it was at CSG or Leichhardt it would probably sell out, i reckon 16/17k max

Timmah

Staff member
Not 100% with the times Riccio reported, more likely it'd be a 4:30 game I think judging by previous years.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

What if the played a single game (or a double header) a week early...

They would get to pick their prefered slot (Maybe Sunday afternoon) to kick off the season, before the shitty Thursday/Friday crowds are forced on us the next week.

4pm Saturday at Homebush, unlikely

if it was at CSG or Leichhardt it would probably sell out, i reckon 16/17k max

One of the few games that SHOULD be played as Leichhardt...

Saxon

Bench
Central Qld is not getting a team any time soon and the Cowboys don seem keen to move games, so i wouldnt be too picky about the games you get

Even if you dont call Gladstone South Queensland, it is undoubtable REGIONAL Qld which is still te demographic and club brand that the Titans should be going for.
No, they won't get a team soon (or indeed ever unless the NRL has a major shakeup), and no the Cowboys aren't going to move; but you miss my point.

It's good for the Titans to get out and about, and if they spend time and put down roots in CQ and play one or two games there a year then maybe they can make themselves a part of the landscape. Pity they f*cked the feeder arrangement with the Capras - there's a lot of work to be done there to mend fences. (In particular Anusley's comment "I think they wanted out because they got a better offer" pissed some key people off - there was no other offer at the time and the Capras felt the relationship was all one way in the Titan's favour.)

But the major point I was making was that it's a great opportunity for someone, but none of this will matter if they use the phrase South Queensland (or worse, South-east Queensland). Regional Queensland (which the Goldie certainly isn't) would be better, but just stick with Queensland and/or 'supporting local League' and you couldn't go far wrong. getting Gary Larson on side couldn't hurt either.

typicalfan

Coach
I would have went Broncos Eels opener and Dragons Panthers Sunday. Possibly had Storm Cowboys rematch too. Not a fan of it round 1 but no Cronk and Thurston/Scott likely return would make it at least interesting.

I think the player returning to face former club has been overrated as a draw card as no one cares outside the two teams playing. Was overrated when they did Farah this year for two average teams.

Eels stomped Broncos last meeting and would be a good draw plus two powerhouse clubs who are expected to be in contention.

Dragons v Panthers as they both finished close on the table and were neck and neck most of the season. Effectively you are ‘continuing the story’ which is how they should try to allocate games to big time slots.

typicalfan

Coach
I should clarify when I say overrated I mean as a round 1 draw. I think those games can be played anytime during the season and still draw.

EagleSaba

Juniors
As a Manly fan, I'm hoping we get 1 or 2 Friday Night games at Brookie (not the 6pm slot).

One thing that I missed this season from previous was having that Friday Night Blockbuster at Brookie against a rival team. Nothing better than being on a packed hill after a long week at work. Crowd always seems to be at it's most vocal for that time slot.

EagleSaba

Juniors
Manly are playing a game in Perth again

As a Manly member, Season 2018 will have

10 games at Lottoland
1 game at Suncorp
1 game at AMI Stadium, Christchurch.

Christchurch has replaced the Warriors game in Perth like the last two years. Christchurch game was confirmed around 6 weeks ago.

Tigers1986

Juniors
Tedesco vs Wests at Campbelltown writes itself - local Macarthur boy in his new city slicker side against the battlers from the West.

Timmah

Staff member
A few things to note about the draw structure:
  • Kickoff Thursday 8 March
  • 25 rounds, one less than previous years
  • All scheduled upfront (no floating final six like previous years)
  • Only one scheduled bye per club (8 clubs before SOO1, 8 before SOO3), plus all clubs get SOO2 weekend off.
  • SOO1: Wed 6 Jun
  • SOO2: Sun 24 Jun
  • SOO3: Wed 11 Jul
  • Round 25 is Aug 30 to Sep 2
  • Finals start Sep 7-9
  • Grand Final Sun 30 Sep

Raiderdave

First Grade
As a Manly fan, I'm hoping we get 1 or 2 Friday Night games at Brookie (not the 6pm slot).

One thing that I missed this season from previous was having that Friday Night Blockbuster at Brookie against a rival team. Nothing better than being on a packed hill after a long week at work. Crowd always seems to be at it's most vocal for that time slot.

a packed hill , with 12,000 in attendance lol
Brookvale is an eye saw & should not be allowed to embarras our code on FTA TV ever

Valheru

Coach
A few things to note about the draw structure:
  • Kickoff Thursday 8 March
  • 25 rounds, one less than previous years
  • All scheduled upfront (no floating final six like previous years)
  • Only one scheduled bye per club (8 clubs before SOO1, 8 before SOO3), plus all clubs get SOO2 weekend off.
  • SOO1: Wed 6 Jun
  • SOO2: Sun 24 Jun
  • SOO3: Wed 11 Jul
  • Round 25 is Aug 30 to Sep 2
  • Finals start Sep 7-9
  • Grand Final Sun 30 Sep

Really?

Is there any leeway at all fro channel 9 to switch the games it broadcasts in the lead up to finals or is it just bad luck?

Incorrect

Coach
Really?

Is there any leeway at all fro channel 9 to switch the games it broadcasts in the lead up to finals or is it just bad luck?
I'm not sure it makes any difference.... Some of the games 9 chose to cover in the last 6 rounds of the competition this year were perplexing - Tigers V Cowboys on a Friday night and Dogs V Souffs on a Thursday night - these are meant to be marquee games but only 1 of those teams I've mentioned made the finals and it was pretty clear that was going to be the case before they last 6 rounds got underway.

As always, it'll come down to which teams provide the best ratings - so regardless of where the Dogs, Eels, Dragons, Souths and to a lesser extent the Tigers, are on the ladder, these teams will likely feature in channel 9's coverage....

Clifferd

Coach

Maybe 20k at a pinch but I can't see it being much more, and it definitely won't be as hostile as it would than being at a sold out Leicharddht / Campbeltown game

The excitement of basically a new era for the Tigers under coach IC, brand new team vs one of our best juniors playing for his new club at one of our spiritual home grounds is a no brainer imo

Latest posts