What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joel Thompson Announcement

MrDragon007

Juniors
Just got word back that the T's are getting crossed and the I's are getting dotted on Thompos deal with another club.
Announcement to be made before the end of next week, it wont be dragging out any longer then that.
Very reliable source and he is 100% certain Thomos departure is a done deal.
Before the end of next week it will be announced.

MrDragon007

Juniors
he wouldnt say, just gave the smartass "whys it matter who he signs for? All that matters is he wont be at the dragons" and this guy is 100% reliable. When he says something is happening, its happening, he has so much contacts within so many NRL clubs he is in the know.
He doesnt give away too much, but knowing my passion about the saints he told me Thomo is 100% gone and it will be confirmed/announced before the end of next week.

MrDragon007

Juniors
If this is true then I look forward to all the posts from everyone about how we would be paying overs, he's injury prone, we're better off without him etc.....
If the reported figure of $575k a season over is true then that is overs for him imo.
Good player but not worth that much. And i dont think anyone should throw the injury prone line at him as he was a soldier.
Dugan is a prime example of injury prone, Thomo is on the end of the scale in that category imo.
Good luck to him, Sims will hold the fort without an issue imo and Host and / or Leilua can step up and add some variety when they are on.

MrDragon007

Juniors
Agree
Sims can find the try line.
How many times has Joel been pulled down 2 metres out!
If only the field was only 98 metres he would be a try scoring machine.
CC
Its not just that CC, Widdop offer beautifull short balls to Thomo alot, Thomo, to me, isnt the hardest of runners.
Those short balls to a barnstorming Sims and he is through!
Little aspects like that in attack make a big difference, but in Defence i think Thomo has a slight edge over Sims.
Sims will score plenty of tries in 2018 if he is Thomos replacement imo.

Carlton

Juniors
Its not just that CC, Widdop offer beautifull short balls to Thomo alot, Thomo, to me, isnt the hardest of runners.
Those short balls to a barnstorming Sims and he is through!
Little aspects like that in attack make a big difference, but in Defence i think Thomo has a slight edge over Sims.
Sims will score plenty of tries in 2018 if he is Thomos replacement imo.

Thompson running off Ben Hornby would have been unstoppable, I am afraid I didn't see all these beautiful short balls. Widdop does not run straight or to the line that's why his runners find it hard to break the line. Someone like JT or Cronk are willing to go to the line, draw the defender and take the hit to open the hole.

MrDragon007

Juniors
Thompson running off Ben Hornby would have been unstoppable, I am afraid I didn't see all these beautiful short balls. Widdop does not run straight or to the line that's why his runners find it hard to break the line. Someone like JT or Cronk are willing to go to the line, draw the defender and take the hit to open the hole.
I disagree, Widdops runs sideways alot, and an accessory of sideways running is short balls to your outside men.
Thomo got alot, as did Lafai. Sims will be a bulldozer running off those balls.

Carlton

Juniors
I disagree, Widdops runs sideways alot, and an accessory of sideways running is short balls to your outside men.
Thomo got alot, as did Lafai. Sims will be a bulldozer running off those balls.

You can't just run sideways, you have to straighten and play at the line if you are trying to bring runners through on an unders (from outside in) line. If you just crab sideways you drag the defence and their is no gap, you have to hold up the slide somehow and play late so the defence can't adjust if they have misread.

Carlton

Juniors
I also like Sims, both he and Thommo have a bit of aggression which we need. But if you look at the stats Thommo scored 9 tries, Sims 3 and every other stat including tackle breaks was pretty similar. Sims did play closer to the middle a lot and I think playing solely as a secondrower he will score more tries. At the end of the day I see them as being very similar.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Shame, I like Thommo a lot. He's good without being exceptional and he's done a job for us for many years.

If the price discussed here is true, then it is overs. Plain and simple. The elite second-rowers in the game get close to the 600k mark and Thommo is definitely not in that calibre. Good luck to him!

red rocket

Juniors
Shame, I like Thommo a lot. He's good without being exceptional and he's done a job for us for many years.

If the price discussed here is true, then it is overs. Plain and simple. The elite second-rowers in the game get close to the 600k mark and Thommo is definitely not in that calibre. Good luck to him!
Perhaps Cronk is going to South's thommo to manly and young Angus to us just a thought

Latest posts