What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Articles

getsmarty

Immortal
Player Season Review: Jason Nightingale
Thu 12th October, 04:00PM
A A

St George Illawarra winger Jason Nightingale enjoyed a fruitful 2017 season when it came to crossing the white stripe for the Dragons.

The New Zealand international topped the Red V's try-scoring tally (16) and was rewarded at season's end with selection into the Kiwis' Rugby League World Cup squad.

1507786288665.jpg

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/10/12/player_season_review.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons dozen selected for 2017 RLWC
Fri 13th October, 12:00PM
A A

Competition - Tonga V Samoa Test Round - N/A Teams – Tonga V Samoa Date – 7th of May 2016 Venue – Pirtek Stadium, Parramatta Photographer – Mark Nolan Description –

12 St George Illawarra players, two Dragons Ambassadors and two 2018 recruits have been selected to represent their respective nations in the upcoming 2017 Rugby League World Cup.

Australia (Tyson Frizell, Josh Dugan and 2018 recruit Ben Hunt)

1507857546599.jpg

New Zealand (Jason Nightingale and Russell Packer)

1507857597175.jpg

England (Gareth Widdop and 2018 recruit James Graham)

1507857639337.jpg

Jillaroos (Kezie Apps and Sam Bremner)

1507857673025.jpg

Papua New Guinea (Nene Macdonald)

Italy (Paul Vaughan)

1507857746703.jpg

Fiji (Joe Lovodua and Taane Milne)

Tonga (Siliva Havili)

Samoa (Leeson Ah Mau and Tim Lafai)

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/10/13/dragons_dozen_select.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Widnes-bound Matthews thanks Dragons fans
Fri 13th October, 03:00PM
A A

Departing St George Illawarra back-rower Will Matthews has thanked Dragons members and fans for their support over the past six seasons.

Matthews signed a two-year deal with the Widnes Vikings, and will link up with former Dragons Charly Runciman and Chris Houston from 2018.

Matthews' final season at the Red V was unfortunately hampered after he suffered a dislocated hip in the pre-season Charity Shield fixture - as a result he was limited to one NRL game in 2017.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/10/13/widnes_bound_matthew.html

getsmarty

Immortal
ragons delay no concern for Hunt
Mon 16 Oct, 2017, 12:00pm
By Tony Webeck, Chief Queensland Correspondent‌‌, ‌‌‌NRL.com
@TonyWebeck

image.ashx

Former Bronco Ben Hunt will have a later-than-expected start to pre-season training at the Dragons. Copyright: NRL Photos.
The most expensive recruit of 2018 won't begin training with his new teammates until mid-January but Ben Hunt doesn't believe it will hold him back from making an instant impact with St George Illawarra.

An unexpected call-up to the Kangaroos squad for the Rugby League World Cup that kicks off in two weeks' time threw Hunt's pre-season plans that included a wedding and honeymoon into disarray, the former Bronco now not due to settle on the New South Wales South Coast until just prior to Christmas.

Leaving the search for a house to his bride-to-be Bridget Hagan whom he will marry on November 3 rather than lining up against France, Hunt's start at the Dragons is all the more enticing given he looks headed for a showdown with his former club in Round 1.

The only fellow Dragons player in the Kangaroos squad is back-rower Tyson Frizell and while there are eight other St George Illawarra players representing a variety of nations in the World Cup, Hunt won't share a training paddock with them until six weeks before the season starts.

His preparation will be bolstered by a Dragons pre-season schedule that includes a Charity Shield match-up against South Sydney and an international fixture against Hull FC at ANZ Stadium but all eyes will be on Hunt when he runs out onto UOW Jubilee Oval in Round 1.

The closest Hunt has come to playing with any other current Dragon was being named alongside Joel Thompson in the 2008 under-20s Team of the Year but the 27-year-old halfback believes he will have ample time to form a combination with halves partner Gareth Widdop and understand the style coach Paul McGregor wants to implement.

"I know a few players down there and I've been talking to Tyson [Frizell] in here and Jason Nightingale I've talked to a fair bit and they all seem like a great bunch of blokes," Hunt told NRL.com.

"I don't think it's going to take me that long to pick up which direction they're going to want to go with how they play their footy. I think I'll be fine."

The spotlight has shone brightly on Hunt ever since he announced in January that he would be leaving the Broncos after nine seasons in the top grade to take up a five-year deal with the Dragons that has been reported to be worth as much as $1 million a season.

From the outside it appeared as though Hunt struggled to deal with the attention as the 2017 season kicked off but after a hamstring injury was followed by a week in the Intrust Super Cup, a shift to hooker to replace the injured Andrew McCullough reinvigorated his season.

Last week he said that he doubted he would have been selected by Australia coach Mal Meninga had he not spent time at hooker in the back-end of the season but denied that constant scrutiny surrounding his Dragons deal had made his last season as a Bronco a difficult one.

"I never really saw it as a difficult year at all to be honest," said Hunt, who is Kangaroos captain Cameron Smith's primary back-up in the World Cup squad.

"Right from when I signed for the Dragons I just wanted to enjoy the year as much as I could and have fun with the blokes I'd played with for such a long time and I felt I was doing that right up until I got injured and had a bit of a setback.

"Once I finally got back from that – I know I went down to Queensland Cup for one game – but I just wanted to enjoy that as well and I did. It was a good experience and from then on I felt the back-end of my year went pretty well.

"[Playing hooker] kind of helped me to enjoy the back-end of the year to be honest.

"There was no pressure on it, I just had to go in there and try and play the best I could.

"Wayne [Bennett] and the coaching staff never really put any pressure on me and I actually enjoyed it."

http://www.nrl.com/dragons-delay-no-concern-for-hunt/tabid/10874/newsid/113873/default.aspx

getsmarty

Immortal
Tyson Frizell buys in Gymea

Jonathan Chancellor
16 Oct 2017
capi_27eb6a45f93dd06fb48bad8873265318_8ac99f09a7740235b5ddd209cc4a923c.jpeg

NRL Star Tyson Frizell, his fiance Samantha Fahy and their dog, Ziggy. Picture: Instagram @meet_ziggy_zig

UPCOMING St George Illawarra Dragons star Tyson Frizell has spent $1.27 million on a 1960s home at Gymea, which is closer to his old Sutherland Shire stomping ground than his current home ground.

Frizell has been based in Russell Vale near the WIN Stadium since 2013 when he joined the Dragons from the Sharks.

Earlier this month the 26-year-old Wollongong-born forward made the cut for the Kangaroo’s World Cup squad.

capi_27eb6a45f93dd06fb48bad8873265318_5b0a068ec1e8a33adaf33ad706c27531.jpeg

What a pool.

Frizell has bought the home with his fiancee, graphic designer Samantha Fahy.

Their dog Ziggy, who has his own Instagram account, is apparently delighted with the big backyard.

Upon purchase, an Instagram picture of Ziggy and Fahy was captioned: “First selfie in our new house. Me, mum and dad bought a house and I get a brand new big backyard!!!!”

He’s already been snapped lounging by the pool, and down at Gymea baths with Tyson.

The two were “checking out the new neighbourhood”.

capi_27eb6a45f93dd06fb48bad8873265318_db13c95848d5c814c8f64afbe01a2465.jpeg

Tyson Frizell and Samantha Fahy. Picture: Tim Hunter.

The original brick family home on 805sqm was advertised as having potential to build or renovate before Frizell snapped it up pre-auction.

It has three bedrooms, one bathroom and a large backyard with a pool.

Purplebricks agent Joshua Singer sold the home. It last sold at $245,000 in 1991.

Frizell began his career at the Cronulla Sharks but moved to St George in 2013 where he has played 98 games.

The back-rower, now a permanent fixture in the NSW Blues Origin side after breaking through in 2016, was a standout last month in the Prime Minister’s XIII which beat PNG 48-8.

https://www.realestate.com.au/news/tyson-frizell-buys-in-gymea/?rsf=syn:news:nca:dt:article

getsmarty

Immortal
Roundtable: Transfer winners & losers
Tue 17 Oct, 2017, 12:00pm
Dominic Brock, Tony Webeck, Chris Kennedy, Martin Gabor & Alicia Newton, NRL.com

Connor Watson is one of several key new signings for Newcastle. Credit: Grant Trouville. Copyright: NRL Photos.
While the national sides are preparing for the Rugby League World Cup the 16 NRL clubs are working towards finalising their squads for 2018. Which teams are looking stronger next season, and who have been the best buys?

That's the topic of today's NRL.com Roundtable chat.

Dom (Dominic Brock, production editor): Today we're taking a look at off-season recruiting for the 2018 season. Which team has been the biggest winner in the transfer market so far?

CK (Chris Kennedy, national correspondent): Knights?

Dom: They've certainly made a lot of changes.

CK: What I like about their recruiting is there are some good value buys in there that don't ruin the cap down the track, and quite a few of them are key signings in particular areas that needed a boost.

Gabz (Martin Gabor, national correspondent): Hard to argue with the Knights. They've brought in a mix of young guns (Connor Watson and Kalyn Ponga) as well as seasoned veterans (Aidan Guerra and Chris Heighington). There hasn't been a competition for spots for years, but that will all change in 2018 with the older guys driving the younger players to new heights.

Tony (Tony Webeck, chief Queensland correspondent): For a long time I was worried it was Ponga and very little else but I really like the more recent additions, particularly Connor Watson and Chris Heighington. The presence of seasoned first-graders will enable the likes of Brock Lamb and the Saifiti boys to flourish next season.

Alicia (Alicia Newton, national correspondent): It reminds me a lot about their 2007/2008 changeover period under Brian Smith. A huge amount of changes, plenty of players on the verge of establishing their careers. How quickly they gel will be another topic but you hope for Knights fans it's fast.

Tony: At the time losing Dane Gagai looked disastrous but I think they have compensated sufficiently.

CK: Probably my only concern with the Knights' recruiting is that they started to show some really good signs towards the back end with guys like Fitzgibbon, Dan Saifiti, Brock Lamb etc. I just hope the new crew doesn't come in and take some of the gloss off what the locals had started to build. But, given the calibre of recruits, no doubt their professionalism will make sure that isn't the case.

Dom: It is really a focus on youth and experience – none of the new signings are really at their peak, which has presumably allowed Newcastle to save more cap space than they would have otherwise. Even if the experienced guys take a back seat to those young guys you mentioned they'll still be handy to have at the club.

Gabz: Big fan of Fitzgibbon. Still a bit raw around the edges but reminds me a bit of Angus Crichton.

CK: As Gabz said, competition for spots is crucial. You now have a scenario where Hodkinson probably isn't in most people's best 17 for Round 1 next year. Fitzgibbon and Barnett are fighting for bench spots. That should make everyone hungrier.

Alicia: They're lacking probably another decent outside back. With Peter Mata'utia and Dane Gagai departing, they've only recruited Tautau Moga in return. An injury here or there and it becomes a concern. But from all reports that's the position they're targeting next and still have good money left.

RELATED ARTICLES
2018 NRL player movements

Tony: The other active player in the transfer market has been the Wests Tigers. Have they gained more than they have lost?

Dom: The general mood around the Tigers has been positive recently but I think guys like Aaron Woods and especially James Tedesco are very hard to replace.

Gabz: They might have lost some stars – and geez Tedesco and Woods will be sorely missed – but there is now plenty of quality depth on the bus.

Dom: Depth and experience too – Josh Reynolds, Benji Marshall, Chris McQueen, Ben Matulino and Russell Packer have all been around for a while now.

Gabz: The romance of Benji Marshall returning coupled with the energy Josh Reynolds brings will be great in attack while Ben Matulino and Russell Packer will provide the grunt they have missed over the years.

Tony: With Matulino and Packer their go-forward looks to me to have received a considerable boost, even allowing for the loss of Woods and Seumanufagai. Think Taane Milne is an astute pick-up as well.

Alicia: I think they've done extremely well, considering. What impressed me most was how quickly they responded to losing Woods and Tedesco by picking up Josh Reynolds, Ben Matulino and Russell Packer. Again like the Knights I can't see it happening for them overnight but by mid-season the combinations should click.

CK: I just wonder how much the guys they're bringing in are the guys they need. Definitely Packer and Matulino for some steel through the middle post-Woods and Seumanufagai looks a good move. The Reynolds/Benji/Brooks halves roster – I don't know. I assume Lolohea will be at the back and Liddle at hooker. It doesn't scream finals to me. Tedesco is a monumental loss. The strike out wide – Nofoaluma is still very good with the ball but how much will the likes of Fonua, Thompson, Milne etc add?

Gabz: They now have plenty of depth in the outside backs; an area that probably hurt them in recent times with back-towers often having to play out of position.

Tony: Chris McQueen will be delighted if he never has to play in the centres again I can tell you that.

Gabz: Quality v quantity debate. The Dragons haven't brought in too many new players but I really like their recruits.

Dom: Yep Ben Hunt and James Graham are some big names who should make a big impact.

Tony: Seconded. Think they've shrewdly targeted exactly what they needed. Couldn't agree more.

Dom: They had a disastrous end to the season but the Dragons probably overachieved this year, at least compared to the pre-season expectations. Most of us had them in the bottom three, and they came within a win of playing finals footy. Hunt helps their attack, Graham strengthens an already good pack – they should really be a top-eight side next year.

Gabz: If Widdop didn't get injured then they would have played finals for sure.

CK: Hard to argue. I think they have the players to easily cover Dugan's move to the Sharks. Widdop finally has a top-tier foil. McInnes and Dufty round out an impressive spine. Add Graham in alongside Friz, De Belin, Vaughan, Sims, Ah Mau, etc. Looks a strong pack, good spine. Big chance of finals.

Alicia: They never panicked losing Dugan and I liked that. They've lacked a quality half outside Gareth Widdop for some time, particularly in his absence, and they identified that very early on in the year. They'll be in my eight next season.

http://www.nrl.com/roundtable-transfer-winners-losers/tabid/10874/newsid/113886/default.aspx

getsmarty

Immortal
Roundtable: Transfer winners & losers Pt 2

CK:
The other team with a lot of names in the 'incoming' column is the Warriors. No need to dwell on how disastrous they were in 2017 but do Tohu Harris, Adam Blair, Peta Hiku, Vaha Pulu and Gerard Beale correct what was wrong with them?

Tony: I'm not convinced.

Gabz: Nor I.

Dom: It's impossible to tell with the Warriors. People have rated them a top-four team based on star recruits in the past, and they haven't come close.

CK: Well I don't want to death-ride them this early because I'd love to see them realise their potential but I can see them battling for the spoon next year.

Tony: It's ridiculous to suggest that group of players added to an already strong roster shouldn't make them a better team but we won't know for sure until about Round 6.

Gabz: I've got them getting the spoon. Harris is a great get on the left edge but I'm not overly sold on some of the other purchases. The loss of Kieran Foran hurts. I appreciate he wasn't at his best in 2017, but he was the player Shaun Johnson needed. I'm not sure they have the right personnel to replace him.

Tony: They've got six players in the current Kiwi team and we're talking about them getting the wooden spoon. Incredible.

Dom: Yeah I can't quite fathom a team with that quality and someone like Shaun Johnson pulling the strings finishing last, but again, it's impossible to predict what the Warriors will do.

Gabz: I want them to success. Maybe it's a reverse mock after years of tipping them to do well.

Gabz: Succeed*

CK: I want them to success as much as anyone.

Dom: Ha

Alicia: It's interesting because I wrote a story after talking to Elijah Taylor in September and he said they needed more Australian-based players at the club who have come through strong Australian systems. Kearney has bought three in Blair, Beale and Harris who are either premiership winners or grand finalists in the last three years.

And they're all Kiwis too.

CK: They've bought a ton of Kiwis – Beale, Blair, Harris, Hiku, Love-Henry, Pulu, Cherrington. Given that stance from Elijah it's a concerning recruitment strategy.

Alicia: And lost Ryan Hoffman and Jacob Lillyman. Agree it's the total opposite Elijah is talking about.

Dom: Any other picks for impressive recruitment efforts? A couple of others have gone with quality over quantity so far.

Tony: One for me; the Roosters. And imagine if they add Cronk into the mix.

Gabz: Can a team with one signing win the trade period? I vote yes.

CK: Quite a few in that category. Jordan McLean to Cowboys, Tedesco to Roosters, Jack Bird to Broncos. Kane Evans looks a good fit for an Eels team that was low on size in 2017. But agree, throw Teddy into the 2017 Roosters and it's scary what they could do in '18.

Dom: I've got them equal favourites with the Cowboys to win it in 2018 – both good teams who have added one excellent player to the mix.

Gabz: Tedesco was unstoppable in a struggling team. Imagine how he'll go playing behind a representative pack!

Alicia: Do we underestimate who the Roosters lost though or think they'll be fine? Guerra, Watson, Kane Evans....

CK: Roosters do have some big names outgoing but they weren't using Watson much outside injuries and Evans less so. Guerra came good but their pack is still ridiculous without him.

Gabz: Nat Butcher and Victor Radley are waiting in the wings.

CK: Yeah Roosters will be fine. Potentially Foran and Woods to the Dogs could be massive too. But Foran has hardly been the panacea for his past two clubs...

Gabz: How long have you been waiting to use that word?

Dom: The Dogs will be really interesting next year, for a few reasons.

Alicia: Cowboys welcoming back Scott and Thurston is like two key signings in itself. They're solid pick-ups, I'd say.

Dom: Massive, considering Michael Morgan has become a legit superstar in the meantime.

CK: Agree, not only adding JT and Scott back in but adding them back in to a team that has evolved impressively in their absence.

Tony: So which teams are potentially on the slide? They will somehow find a way to finish top four regardless but a lot of quality leaving Melbourne this off-season.

Dom: The Storm will be pretty fascinating next season without Cronk. At least they've kept Slater for another year.

Gabz: True, but Sam Kasiano will probably captain the Kiwis next year and Ryan Hoffman will play Origin given Craig Bellamy's ability to find the best in his players. Brodie Croft was also outstanding when he was called upon. If Cronk stays on as a halves consultant then he'll be fine.

CK: Yeah they've got Hoffman back very late in his career. Will be interesting to see if Pat Kaufusi can find something like the improvement Felise found this year.

Tony: The Broncos also look very light-on up front unless they can get Matt Lodge over the line with Blair, Ese'ese and Arrow all departing.

Alicia: I wouldn't say they'll be on the slide as such because they're traditionally a dominant club but Brisbane are taking a bit of a risk with the Jack Bird signing for mine and have lost some depth in the forwards. He'll likely move to lock and free up Josh McGuire into the pack but with no halfback depth too after losing Hunt and Marshall it will be interesting.

Gabz: Yeah the halves situation looks worrying. They had too many playmakers last season. Now they're stretched.

Tony: There's not an obvious half/hooker back-up at the Broncos now at all.

CK: Lots of talk about Bird playing 13. Surely not?

Gabz: He wants to be 'on the ball' so I wouldn't be surprised to see him shift to lock or even five-eighth if need be.

Tony: I think that's the way they'll go. You can't pair Milford and Bird in the halves I don't believe. Given his form in Q Cup and the fact that he is an absolutely massive human having Lodge could solve a couple of issues. Got great hands for a big bloke too.

CK: Five-eighth looks his best spot for mine. But Milford is much more a 6 than a 7. A Milf-Bird halves combo doesn't look the answer.

Gabz: Bennett can always go left field and play him at FB and shift Boyd to the halves.

Dom: They're a team of five-eighths all of a sudden...

Alicia: It doesn't sound like much thought went into the signing from a Broncos angle.

Tony: He's a wonderful player. Wayne will work out where he best fits and shuffle the team to suit. If only Ash Taylor were available...

Dom: Before we finish up, any bold predictions for player moves to expect between now and next March?

Tony: Cameron Smith to the Rabbitohs would help their prospects no end.

Dom: Wow. Although that probably could be said for a lot of teams.

Gabz: I'll go out on a limb and say Cronk retires.

CK: Suspect there will be plenty more movement. Knights still with considerable cap space. Eels and Sea Eagles with enough room for some solid signings.

Alicia: Knights to nab a centre. Let's go with Josh Morris.

Tony: I would have loved to have seen James Maloney go to the Knights. Thought that was a great fit for both parties that would have made them top eight contenders almost overnight.

Alicia: Didn't a lot of it depend on whether Cronk went there? So much speculation out there.

Gabz: Bodene Thompson has to sign somewhere, Lichaa will extend his stay at the Bulldogs and I'll say Brett Morris will end up at Souths.

Tony: Darius Boyd to sign with the Broncos at some stage before Christmas.

Gabz: Also Jayden Nikorima back to the Broncos.

CK: Manly will get a back rower. Bodene and Joel Thompson both mooted. Eels will get another prop. Knights will definitely get at least one more three-quarter.

Tony: It will be criminal if Joel Thompson has to leave the Dragons.

Alicia: Oh yes, one more... Matt Moylan won't be at Penrith. My tip is Wests Tigers.

Tony: Bombshell!

Dom: OK thanks guys let's wrap it up there.

http://www.nrl.com/roundtable-transfer-winners-losers/tabid/10874/newsid/113886/default.aspx

getsmarty

Immortal
McCrone ready for Wolfpack challenge
Wed 18th October, 11:00AM
A A

Departing St George Illawarra halfback Josh McCrone has discussed his impending move to the Toronto Wolfpack and his final season at the Dragons.

McCrone will join the likes of former Dragon Ashton Sims and other NRL alumni Dave Taylor and Fuifui Moimoi in the Canada-based side's quest to qualify for the English Super League in 2019.

Otherwise McCrone enjoyed almost the entire 2017 season in the NRL alongside skipper Gareth Widdop, and played a huge part in the Dragons' fast start to the year.

1508285507429.jpg;pv56f506c97b60446e

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/10/18/mccrone_ready_for_wo.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons recruit Ben Hunt to meet Broncos in 2018 NRL opener

New colours: Dragons recruitn Ben Hunt will face former club Brisbane in round one. Picture: AAP Image/Darren England
Ben Hunt will begin life in Dragons colours against his former club Brisbane in a blockbuster start to the NRL season at Kogarah in March.

The 2018 NRL draw was released on Thursday morning, confirming five games will played at WIN Stadium, as well as five at UOW Jubilee Oval, one in Mudgee and the annual Anzac Day showdown with the Roosters at Allianz Stadium.

A steel-town derby will kick-off the action in Wollongong this year, when the Dragons meet Newcastle at WIN Stadium on Sunday, April 1 at 4pm.

The Dragons will also play Cronulla, Manly, Parramatta and New Zealand in Wollongong.

It includes two Saturday games, one on Thursday, Friday and Sunday.

“On the back of the Dragons' recent announcement to play additional home games at our traditional venues in 2018, it is exciting to see that the NRL draw has delivered so many highly anticipated games for next season,” Dragons chairman Brian Johnston said.

“The development of the NRL draw is a complex process, as is the allocation of home venues, when you take into account such variables as venue availability, sequencing of games, visiting teams and scheduling.

“We have worked hard to deliver a quality balanced schedule for all members, partners and fans, providing match ups against a mix of quality Sydney-based and interstate teams across our traditional venues.

“Add our traditional Anzac Day game against the Roosters – the biggest club game on the NRL calendar each year – and our commitment to bring an NRL game to Mudgee this season, and we are genuinely excited at what next year will bring.”

• DRAGONS DRAW
St George Illawarra fixtures at WIN Stadium in 2018

Round 4: Sunday, April 1 v Newcastle (4pm)

Round 6: Friday, April 13 v Cronulla (8pm)

Round 15: Saturday, June 16 v Manly (5.30pm)

Round 16: Thursday, June 28 v Parramatta (8pm)

Round 21: Saturday, August 4 v New Zealand (3pm)

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...s-former-club-in-round-one-next-year/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL Confidential: Former Dragons star calls out Paul Gallen for MMA bout
NRL Premiership
  • October 20, 2017 6:00am
  • by Staff writers
  • Source: FOX SPORTS

FORMER St George Illawarra star Matt Cooper has called out Cronulla skipper and former NSW Blues teammate Paul Gallen for a mixed martial arts bout next year.
Cooper, who has long had a passion for MMA and the UFC, has kept in shape since retiring after the 2013 NRL season and believes he could take on Gallen who has been carving out a boxing career.

Gallen is currently preparing to take on Fijian fighter Puna Rasaubale at Sharks League Club on November 10.

“I wouldn’t mind getting big Paul Gallen in the ring next year,” Cooper said at a MMA event in Wollongong.

“Definitely MMA, that’s what I want to fight.

“I’m not a big boxing fan, I love the MMA, so bring on Paul Gallen.”

d73dc943808e69070cca0d904ba7e1aa

Matt Cooper in action for the Dragons.Source: News Corp Australia

When asked whether he knew if Gallen had interest in MMA, Cooper replied: “Yeah, I’ve spoken to Paul and he loves MMA. That’s his preferred thing instead of boxing. I think he’d be keen.

“He wants to fight Sonny Bill (Williams) this year in boxing. Hopefully he beats him then this time next year we’ll step in the cage.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...t/news-story/4461b23604f18a121abf0e5e9dc24d15

getsmarty

Immortal
Friz ready for huge Brisbane season-opener
Fri 20th October, 01:00PM
A A

St George Illawarra Tyson Frizell is keen to see what new teammate Ben Hunt will produce for the Dragons' in their 2018 season-opener clash against the Brisbane Broncos.

Frizell also discussed his recent trip to Fiji with the Kangaroos and what's to come for Australia ahead of the Rugby League World Cup opener against England on October 27.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/10/20/friz_ready_for_huge_.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Pereira ready to rip into pre-season
Sun 22nd October, 10:00AM
A A

St George Illawarra utility Jordan Pereira is one of the few players who are excited to rip into the upcoming pre-season training.

Pereira joined the Dragons midway through the 2017 season, and having never participated in an NRL pre-season previously, was ready for the full benefits of the season's preparation.

The 24-year-old enjoyed a solid backend to the season playing for Illawarra, and also spoke of his gratitude to the club for giving him the chance to showcase his talent.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/10/22/pereira_ready_to_rip.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Player Season Review: Joel Thompson
Mon 23rd October, 10:00AM
A A

St George Illawarra back-rower Joel Thompson powered through another rock solid season for the Red V in 2017.

Enjoying plenty of success on the field, Thompson also won the Mark Coyne Trophy and Community Involvement Award at the Dragons' Presentation Night. He was also nominated again for the Ken Stephens Medal - something he was able to win in 2016.

1508714533250.jpg;pv70629a3f59a57230

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/10/23/player_season_review.html

getsmarty

Immortal
2018 Red V Membership – Win a trip to the UK
Mon 23rd October, 04:00PM
A A

1508736272540.jpg;pv52c15504658e6866

The St George Illawarra Dragons are excited to announce that all 2018 Red V Members have a chance to win a trip to the United Kingdom!

For your chance to win, simply renew or join as a Red V member in 2018 and you and a friend could be off to the Wigan Warriors' stomping ground DW Stadium for the ultimate UK rugby league experience.

The St George Illawarra Dragons and Wigan have teamed up for a 'red and white' cultural exchange.

The winning Red V Member will fly to the UK and be hosted by the Wigan Warriors' community, experiencing the passion for the 'red and white' halfway across the world.

The winning Red V Member will receive:

• Return economy flights for two adults from Sydney to Manchester
  • Twin accommodation in Manchester for three nights
  • Twin accommodation in Wigan for four nights
  • Two tickets to a Wigan Match*
  • Transfers from Manchester airport, between hotels and to Manchester airport
  • Dragons Merchandise to the value of $200
The cultural exchange gets underway when the Dragons welcome the Wigan Warriors and Hull FC to WIN Stadium, Wollongong on February 10, 2018 for the first ever Super League game to be played outside of Europe.

The following week the two UK-based clubs will take part in the first-ever double-header between Super League and NRL teams at a single venue when the Dragons take on Hull FC and South Sydney face Wigan at ANZ Stadium on February 17, 2018.

Don’t miss your chance to win – renew or join today!

The Red V Membership program offers a range of flexible packages to suit everyone.

If you need help deciding which membership is best for you in 2018 go to: www.marchwithus.com.au

Please contact our team on 1300DRAGON or via email to: redv@dragons.com.au

Belong, connect and commit by becoming a Red V Member in 2018!

* pending the 2018 Super League draw pertains a Wigan Warriors game during the travel dates.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/10/23/_2018_red_v_membersh.html