What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLWC2017 Crowd Watch

adamkungl

Immortal
I completely agree with the club prices! However this tournament should not be looking to price gouge fans. Its the game on show to the world! Full houses everywhere looks a lot better than half full grounds in my books!

This tournament needs to make as much money as possible for the RLIF to invest in the game's growth worldwide, it's their only profitable event currently and it isn't a charity event.
Other games are quite cheap to attend and are far less likely to sell out than this one.

Stallion

First Grade
This tournament needs to make as much money as possible for the RLIF to invest in the game's growth worldwide, it's their only profitable event currently and it isn't a charity event.
Other games are quite cheap to attend and are far less likely to sell out than this one.

Think that they could make much more money and grow the game exponentially by reducing ticket prices and having fans have more disposable income to spend on merchandise. The positive flow on effect of merchandise that has a visible showing of the code on various products such as clothing etc should not be underestimated. Surely an assured sold out venue at lower ticket prices and giving fans the option to buy merchandise is a better outcome for the game!?

Stallion

First Grade
NZ v Samoa in NZ aint Aus v England in Melbourne.

Culturally speaking I'd like to think they are just as important as each other! Their is that islander rivalry with the people of NZ and the other Pacific Island nations. England and Australia have a historical rivalry as well. The tickets prices for the NZ games are more like what should be on offer for the game in Melbourne. Perhaps maybe $20 higher in Melbourne(but no more!) to cover presumably higher ground costs? But definitely not $140!

adamkungl

Immortal
And what?? $90 difference between two pool games is just a rip off.

I don't think the RLWC is at the level where they can be charging that amount for a pool game especially considering the short odds for the match.

If it's a rip off people won't pay it, simple as that. I think it's likely to sell out. The organisers are certainly counting on a sell out and have priced it accordingly. If they price an event lower than it's worth they wouldn't be doing their jobs.

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
But financially speaking they are not. NZ v Samoa will be lucky to attract half the crowd with tickets a quarter of the price!

Really? They got 17,000 for the last match in 2014 in a non league strong hold....

Compared to 20,500 for the Aus vs Eng game in Melbourne.

The Aus vs Eng game should do a lot better than the kiwis game being the RLWC opening game.

adamkungl

Immortal
For what it's worth, if it doesnt sell out (or very very close) you will be correct that it is a ripoff.

Stallion

First Grade
If it's a rip off people won't pay it, simple as that. I think it's likely to sell out. The organisers are certainly counting on a sell out and have priced it accordingly. If they price an event lower than it's worth they wouldn't be doing their jobs.

Not really. I would suggest that the overall intent would be to create a positive picture for the code. A stadium with a game of this status not being a sellout is a failure. Still think making extra dollars out of fans not feeling they've been price gouged is a much better option allround. It gains exponential exposure into the future via merchandise recognition and you have a genuine full house!

Coastbloke

Bench
No comment in the media from the organisers who stated this would be the best WC ever. Pretty big promise given 2013..

I've got this image of them fleeing the country with money bags in hand with banknotes fluttering everywhere, again leaving hardcore International fans to convince the public this is all worth it and the World Cup really is the pinnacle of the game..

deal.with.it

Juniors
Bought my melb tix today ... finally! Got centre bay on the western side - worth the wait.

Pax 15814

I guess they'll get over 20k but maybe not a sell out.

Coastbloke

Bench
I really have a problem with the idea Melburnians know nothing about League but can fill the MCG for Origin (understand heaps of interstate as well) and fill AAMI for Storm games, but can't snap up tix for a WC Test given the drama in the final minute the last time Australia and England played there.. :expressionless::expressionless:

Stallion

First Grade
I really have a problem with the idea Melburnians know nothing about League but can fill the MCG for Origin (understand heaps of interstate as well) and fill AAMI for Storm games, but can't snap up tix for a WC Test given the drama in the final minute the last time Australia and England played there.. :expressionless::expressionless:

$140 ticket prices are more than likely a factor! Should have been half that price and we wouldn't be wondering about the dissapointing sales number right now.

Stallion

First Grade
Capacity is 30.5k, more than 1 week to go. Lead up should result in close to sell out

Hope so. Would have been good not wondering if it will sell out though? I'd rather seeing and hearing news reports telling of "Rugby league world cup opener is sold out! " rather than the anxious and embarassing wait we have now. Much better for public perception leading into the tournament.