What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World Club Challenge

davi

Juniors
Reports the World Club Challenge may be in doubt. I'm not sure why, I don't see a lack of interest in the concept. I suppose there must be their reasons from the NRL clubs though. The world cup probably has made the schedule a little bloated as well.

NRL owes it to the game to make WCC compulsory, says Leeds coach

Leeds coach Brian McDermott – with the support of Wigan captain Sean O'Loughlin – has insisted the NRL has a moral obligation to make the World Club Challenge compulsory for its clubs.

The bizarre set of circumstances in which there is no guarantee next year's WCC takes place means Wigan could remain the code's world champions for another 18 months despite not having even made the Super League semi-finals this year.

The NRL has reportedly intervened in a bid to ensure Melbourne and Leeds meet at AAMI Park early next year.

"At the start of last week I was talking to [Leeds CEO] Gary Hetherington and he was saying it's 80-20 likely not to happen," McDermott, the United States World Cup coach, told Fairfax Media.

"At the back end of the week he said 50-50. Now I'm hearing it's 80-20 likely to happen. I still think it's whether Melbourne want to shift some dates about.

"Let's hope they've got some hunger to play the game, as much as we have."

In 2011, St George Illawarra asked the NRL if the match was compulsory. When they were told it wasn't, they held out for much larger financial incentives to play Wigan than had previously been paid and since then Australian teams have demanded sizeable guarantees to take part.

"I think it's got to be compulsory," McDermott said. "You've got to progress things, haven't you? Some things have got to grow.

"It's all right for people in Australia and New Zealand saying 'Our game's great, we've got State of Origin and we've got the grand final and our game doesn't need any more'.

"I think that's a bit short-sighted. Everybody's got a responsibility to grow the game.

"If you're going to earn a living out of the game, you've got to take a responsibility that by the time you finish, you hand it over to the next person in a far better position.

"Now, surely playing a World Club Challenge is part of that – growing the game. Same as the international set-up."

Despite the prospect of holding onto the trophy Wigan won by beating Cronulla 22-6 on February 19, England captain O'Loughlin agreed with McDermott.

"We'll keep hold of it for another year – ha," O'Loughlin said.

"It is a little bit strange that it's not set in concrete. There's nothing formal. They're two separate identities, the competitions, so I understand it's always going to be hard.

"But it would be good if there was a set fixture – I don't know where you fit it in, though – that happens every year."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...pulsory-says-leeds-coach-20171023-gz6hh5.html

The_Shield

Juniors
The biggest problem with the wcc is the timing. It’s stupid having it right before the start of the next season. It disrupts teams preparation for that upcoming season. They should move it to after the grand final

The biggest problem with the wcc is the timing. It’s stupid having it right before the start of the next season. It disrupts teams preparation for that upcoming season. They should move it to after the grand final

Yes timing is a problem. However having it after the Grand Final does not solve it. Firstly, the SL season finishes a week after the NRL does. Hence you would have to wait till after that finishes before you could schedule it. With players' compulsory annual leave usually happening after the GF, how are you going to fit it in without cutting into their leave? Add in the international matches scheduled for October/November it makes it harder to schedule for "after the Grand Final". Finally, its been proven, if you hold it after the NRL GF, you will get a number of NRL players who won't want to go and will try to get out of it. That is part of the reason as to why it was moved in the first place.

Thing is the logistical issues I've mentioned are not all solveable which is why it has been moved to the pre-season.

Last edited:

Diesel

Coach
IMO, having Brisbane, Souths, Dragons and whoever else hasn’t won the competition over the last 3-4 years allowed to play in an exhibition match in the UK to the lead up to the WCC has hurt the concept.

myrrh ken

First Grade
Its a game for the poms to boost their self esteem. No one cares.

Its certainly not as important as a testimonial match for a couple of smug merkins

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
It's never going to be taken seriously until it's played down here regularly, and frankly I fail to see how the WCC/WCS grow the game considering the way that it's currently structured.

The whole thing seems pretty rigged to benefit only the English to me, not really anything in it for us except a paycheck for the clubs.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It's never going to be taken seriously until it's played down here regularly, and frankly I fail to see how the WCC/WCS grow the game considering the way that it's currently structured.

The whole thing seems pretty rigged to benefit only the English to me, not really anything in it for us except a paycheck for the clubs.

I think you'll find it's rigged to boost the cash flow of the nrl clubs. They play it in England as that's where it earns the $'s.

WireMan

Bench
It was always in trouble the second the Australian clubs got there asses handed to them last time it was played.

The nrl/origin has to tell themselves they are the biggest and bestest thing ever and anything against that is to be ignored as it clearly means nothing.

POPEYE

Coach
You never know, the WCC might be played in New York one day . . . surely the Big Apple would be preferable to Sydney

Come to think of it, wouldn't it be great to see the Rhinos play the Storm at the MCG next year . . . imagine 80k at a WCC game

Canard

Immortal
Your thread has been moved.

LU Mod reason:Reviving a 2003 thread is ridiculous, grow up.

Summed it up perfectly.

T-Boon

Coach
How will this impact the testicle match for Smith & Thurston?? You know, player burnout and all??

My take on it is NRL clubs are cold on playing the WCC because suddenly the star players are having dreams of rolling around in testy cash.

POPEYE

Coach
Even bigger a challenge to sort Media Rugby League from the real thing . . . Smith & Thurston being dragged into NRL's version of The Block is not their doing

hutch

First Grade
Its a game for the poms to boost their self esteem. No one cares.

Its certainly not as important as a testimonial match for a couple of smug merkins

People do care and it important to the sport in the uk. It is one of the few weeks of the year that super league teams receive national press. The nrl has a responsibility to grow the game whether they like it or not.

Lambretta

First Grade
The UK clubs care about the WWC and in all honesty we should be trying to assist the game in England as much as possible

Talking about canning the World Club Challenge to give Cam Smith more money through a testimonial is a f**king joke. Just give Cam Melbourne's take of the WWC if they care about his wallet more than the game itself. merkins.