What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darren Nicholls

willzy91

Juniors
DRAGONS SIGN NO.7

After a scare from the Sharks, the Dragons have landed the signature of Penrith ace Darren Nicholls.

After winning the ISP NSW competition this year, Nicholls caught the eye of several clubs.

The Red V have won the race for his signature.

a77785a8359470e167d2111c08602233

Darren Nicholls of the Panthers scores a try.Source: Getty Images
Losing Josh McCrone to Toronto and opting to release Shaun Nona and not re-signing Drew Hutchison, the Dragons lack depth in the halves.

The 28-year-old has signed a two-year deal to play back-up to Ben Hunt.

redVinme

Juniors
Most know i want mann in the 13 somewhere not as a utility. So how big is this bloke? Could he potentially back up at 9? Like mccrone did. But you know not shit. Might be a point of difference if mary is insistant on having a utiloty

giboz71

First Grade
Quality signing. Watched him closely in the ISP semis and he looked the goods.

Hutch was just way too slow and after his knee injury will be even slower. We have enough slow backs in our side without adding Hutch.

Nichols will get plenty of time in FG when Hunt is on rep duty. And given Hunt has succeeded so well at hooker, I'll go out on a limb and say this gives us another option at half should we go that way.

For what its worth, I'm a fan of McInnes but we need to see more from him. Hunt was a revelation at hooker for the Broncos and rightly got picked for Australia. We'd be crazy not at least have that option up our sleeve if Nichols can do the job at half.

mickeylane

Bench
This signing tells us 3 things:

1. Mann at halfback experiment was a failure

2. Hutchison was never ever beibg considered as a first grade squad player or they would have offered him a 2 year deal

3.the club wanted a mature player that has proven himself playing against men as a backup

RedV Resurgence

Juniors
Most know i want mann in the 13 somewhere not as a utility. So how big is this bloke? Could he potentially back up at 9? Like mccrone did. But you know not shit. Might be a point of difference if mary is insistant on having a utiloty

I like your thinking.

Mann to Wing or Centre. Sorry Nighty.
Nicholas to 17. and he can given McInnis a 15 minute break.

with Mann and Nicholas in the team they can cover all the backs.

Bench
Mann should get a run at winger. If memory serves me correct he was our leading try scorer in 2016.
Mann is a class player and giving him a permanent position. I think he could develope into another strike weapon for the side.

kit66

Bench
Highly unlikely we'll ever see Nichols in firsts, which is as it should be. Cutters player to replace those we let go.

watatank

Coach
Cool. Seems like a decent backup. Dont know what the fuss is about. If he plays a lot if first grade it means we have lost hunt or widdop who we have built around. Obviously they would be huge losses.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Great depth signing. Millward again with another smart signing. He got 2 players that were often quoted best signings in 2017 (Vaughn and McInness). He may get another 2 mentions in 2018 with Hunt and possibly Graham if he stays fit.

He will be great backup.
He will help or revs team as they will be very young.
His experience will be great
we have a lot of young guns in revd this year.
Lomox, sailor, lowrie, kerr; herbert, field just to name a few.

Last edited:

RedV Resurgence

Juniors
I can see him playing outside of Hunt if Widdop starts running sideways again. This guy is tough and will run straight giving his outside guys bigger spaces. starting to think Widdop might be better in tbe centres.

Last edited:

Latest posts