What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ron Massey Cup / Sydney Shield 2017

rightleftin

Juniors
Its interesting that the in coming Asquith coach will attract a lot of players (which I do not doubt) yet he alienates everyone else and manages to get his situations passed around as being the victim as opposed to a number of people wanting his head for his behaviour

What did he do?

imgunawin72

Juniors
Its interesting that the in coming Asquith coach will attract a lot of players (which I do not doubt) yet he alienates everyone else and manages to get his situations passed around as being the victim as opposed to a number of people wanting his head for his behaviour
I don't know who was responsible , but Blacktown made a mess of their Massey/ shield squads this season. They signed up about 120 players and then proceeded to slowly cut the squad down. Some players were cut late January early February pretty average way to treat the players and the results they achieved were poor.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Oh FFS get over it @Tigers1986, they screwed up. They aren't going to be punted because you still have your knickers in a twist about it.

Tigers1986

Juniors
They didn't screw up, they knew full well what their situation was. They screwed the NSWRL over and led to an embarrassingly organised competition. NSWRL are at fault too.

kbw

Bench
What did he do?

Can't much as I understand there is still investigations ongoing. I do know that more than 1 Manly official was far from happy. Some rumours too which are rumours only regarding his social behavior.

But as I said seems a lot of people still like him especially players

Pantherman72

Juniors

He doesn't alienate EVERYONE else and doesn't play the victim. How things get passed around are not controlled by Pat, just as the otherside of the stories you have decided to buy into can not be controlled.
Speak to him sometime and see for yourself and then make judgement.
Given that 40 players, most of them experienced enough to make judgements on a club and people (most of whom went on to be the best players at their new clubs) and an entire staff of adults (including relatives of board members and 10yr club staff) walked away from a club - you would like to think there is plenty wrong there not attributed to Pat. They recruited too many players because Pat did all recruiting for all grades before the Priors and Mick Golden were even at the club. Mick Golden was wrapped with the recruitment and look at the Shield team he had in rd 1 and 2 and you can see why. The problem was the Priors wanted to then bring in their own players afterwards, adding 30 more to the 60 already there. Check out the results and names on thethesheet sheet in the first few rounds with Pats recruitment compared to the last 10 games with the Priors players.
You can talk of rumours - some of which would be offensive if they weren't so laughable and untrue - or you can talk in facts. The facts are the club was embarrassing before he arrived. Then made finals and were competitive and players flocked there. They got a top squad for 3 grades in 2017 (Massey and shield were undefeated, smashing Wenty pre-sacking) and the club was into nsw cup from being easy beats and unnattractive 3yrs earlier. Then without him they were a farce in both grades again resulting in floggings. Those are facts. Not rumours. He was offered the Cabra job before declining and cabra then went for Eddie Flahey - so he can't have alienated Cabra. Those are the only clubs he has been at.
Fact - players and staff spend 3 nights a week and gameday with him and love him. There are enough rumours and rubbish in footy and on these forums. I prefer facts.

imgunawin72

Juniors
He doesn't alienate EVERYONE else and doesn't play the victim. How things get passed around are not controlled by Pat, just as the otherside of the stories you have decided to buy into can not be controlled.
Speak to him sometime and see for yourself and then make judgement.
Given that 40 players, most of them experienced enough to make judgements on a club and people (most of whom went on to be the best players at their new clubs) and an entire staff of adults (including relatives of board members and 10yr club staff) walked away from a club - you would like to think there is plenty wrong there not attributed to Pat. They recruited too many players because Pat did all recruiting for all grades before the Priors and Mick Golden were even at the club. Mick Golden was wrapped with the recruitment and look at the Shield team he had in rd 1 and 2 and you can see why. The problem was the Priors wanted to then bring in their own players afterwards, adding 30 more to the 60 already there. Check out the results and names on thethesheet sheet in the first few rounds with Pats recruitment compared to the last 10 games with the Priors players.
You can talk of rumours - some of which would be offensive if they weren't so laughable and untrue - or you can talk in facts. The facts are the club was embarrassing before he arrived. Then made finals and were competitive and players flocked there. They got a top squad for 3 grades in 2017 (Massey and shield were undefeated, smashing Wenty pre-sacking) and the club was into nsw cup from being easy beats and unnattractive 3yrs earlier. Then without him they were a farce in both grades again resulting in floggings. Those are facts. Not rumours. He was offered the Cabra job before declining and cabra then went for Eddie Flahey - so he can't have alienated Cabra. Those are the only clubs he has been at.
Fact - players and staff spend 3 nights a week and gameday with him and love him. There are enough rumours and rubbish in footy and on these forums. I prefer facts.
I am not sure how you could call Blacktown signing over 120 players for Massey and shield and then cutting players in February good recruitment. Very poor way to treat players. Again I don't know who was responsible, but the exercise was a failure, as the results show.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Rumour I heard is that the U20s will remain as such and they will be named as their NRL clubs but play alongside the NSW Cup teams.

Examples, there will be a Wests Tigers U20s playing alongside Wests Magpies NSW Cup and Souths U20s playing where Norths play.

It doesn't make sense to me and supporters of NSW Cup teams will not feel aligned to the U20s side.

Pantherman72

Juniors
I am not sure how you could call Blacktown signing over 120 players for Massey and shield and then cutting players in February good recruitment. Very poor way to treat players. Again I don't know who was responsible, but the exercise was a failure, as the results show.

Who did they cut in February?

Delboy

First Grade
Rumour I heard is that the U20s will remain as such and they will be named as their NRL clubs but play alongside the NSW Cup teams.

Examples, there will be a Wests Tigers U20s playing alongside Wests Magpies NSW Cup and Souths U20s playing where Norths play.

It doesn't make sense to me and supporters of NSW Cup teams will not feel aligned to the U20s side.

What, the latest brain fart from Greenberg won't work and the fans are unlikely to understand it and get on board, what a surprise

He rammed though cancelling NYC , to save costs for the poorly and expensively run NRL HQ. Despite Foxtel wanting to screen it, and as a TV product it outrated Yawnion and A League, and some weeks in NSW most definitely the AFL

What a hopeless leader, trying to cut costs at the expense of the game, when there are departments within the NRL that don't communicate with each other

Worst political appointment ever for the game

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
He rammed though cancelling NYC , to save costs for the poorly and expensively run NRL HQ. Despite Foxtel wanting to screen it, and as a TV product it outrated Yawnion and A League, and some weeks in NSW most definitely the AFL

Rammed through? It had been mooted for scrapping as far back as 2014. I'd hardly call dallying around for three years "ramming it through".

And I'm not sure Foxtel are crying into their chardonnay about losing it from broadcast either.

magpie4ever

First Grade
The NYC has been an extremely failure in getting top level footballers into grade. The top players, at this point in time, are the ones that came out of the old system - 1st, reserves and U21s before the existence of the State Cups and NYC.

Once Thurston, Smith, Cronk, Slater & Inglis go into retirement who are their replacements. There are not many stars on the horizon, the ones Mr Johns, Fittler (wanking on) carry on about are at best ordinary 1st graders at this stage.

Last edited:

Pantherman72

Juniors
I don’t have names to quote. Blokes were signing with other clubs in February

They werent' signed with Blacktown then. They obviously backed themselves on train and trials and once they were asked to go to Minchinbury they left. That is standard at most clubs.

Delboy

First Grade
Rammed through? It had been mooted for scrapping as far back as 2014. I'd hardly call dallying around for three years "ramming it through".

And I'm not sure Foxtel are crying into their chardonnay about losing it from broadcast either.

I am aware that the development managers at the clubs told Grenturd that it was important to remain,but his brief was to the CFOs of th clubs and was about saving expenses

Call it what you like, if his response was that only just over 20% of the crowd was there for that game and it won't be missed , tells you a lot about his vision

Then again he was at a club where he knows where the skeletons are buried, guess he was supported by them . Still searching for something positive he has contributed other than keeping the TPAs in place for the favoured few

No,need to reply as we will always disagree on that person

runrabbitrun

Juniors
Can't much as I understand there is still investigations ongoing. I do know that more than 1 Manly official was far from happy. Some rumours too which are rumours only regarding his social behavior.

But as I said seems a lot of people still like him especially players

Either put up or shut up!!!

runrabbitrun

Juniors
I don't know who was responsible , but Blacktown made a mess of their Massey/ shield squads this season. They signed up about 120 players and then proceeded to slowly cut the squad down. Some players were cut late January early February pretty average way to treat the players and the results they achieved were poor.
The results they achieved were poor due to the mass exodus after the coach was shafted. Had nothing to do with the original recruitment and Jan/Feb culling. You're delusional!

runrabbitrun

Juniors
I am aware that the development managers at the clubs told Grenturd that it was important to remain,but his brief was to the CFOs of th clubs and was about saving expenses

Call it what you like, if his response was that only just over 20% of the crowd was there for that game and it won't be missed , tells you a lot about his vision

Then again he was at a club where he knows where the skeletons are buried, guess he was supported by them . Still searching for something positive he has contributed other than keeping the TPAs in place for the favoured few

No,need to reply as we will always disagree on that person

NYC is a Mickey Mouse comp. Wasted resources for very little gain! It'll be far better value under new structure...

runrabbitrun

Juniors
They werent' signed with Blacktown then. They obviously backed themselves on train and trials and once they were asked to go to Minchinbury they left. That is standard at most clubs.
Indeed it is and most players who aren't signed early know this. If any of the players cut were any good, they get snapped up any way. It's a semi-pro comp. Deal with it!!!