What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Predictions and Hopes for Warriors 2018

TheDMC

Bench
Complementing Leg's thread on why we will be better (or not), and now that our roster is mostly complete and clear that Kearney remains at the helm, maybe enough to have expectations or predictions on things will pan out in 2018.

I hope we make the 8, based on better defence and some better go forward, helped by some more second phase and more fitness/mental strength to not fade out at back end of games or during crucial periods. That is as far as my hopes go, because I don't think we have the roster or coaching or team time together to be top 4 next year (getting to that point is a longer-term 'process.')

I predict that we will miss the 8, but not be spoon material. Once again our defence will fall to bits under duress and worsen as the season goes on. There will be a solid patch of games when we look the goods, but it will, once again, unravel as the season gets to the business end. I predict Kearney won't be coaching the Warriors in 2019.

Campion

Juniors
I think the Titans (more like the shite-tans!!) are a shoe-in for the spoon. We'll be 8-10 if we land a half-decent front-rower. 10-12 otherwise. only chance of spoon is if an SJ/Mannering-type goes down for most of the season with injury.

vvvrulz

Coach
No spoon, but seriously not much better.

I’ll be there for the ride all the way, but if Kearney couldn’t get his 2017 squad into the eight I don’t see anything in the recruitment that will majorly swing the pride and attitude.

legs 11

Juniors
surely we cant do worse than 2017......my prediction is if we are not better than 50/50 at round 6 that SK will be given the boot....i am hoping that a Hasler or Turvey is waiting in the wings.

Big Marn

Juniors
If we can snag Paasi and one more NRL level standard prop from the open market, i have medium-high hopes for a turnaround. I like that we have some more experience in the backline and even though our pack has no wow factor, it doesnt mean they cant do a reasonable job if everyone performs to their ability week in, week out ( im looking at you Isaac).

When you look at arguably our two best performances of the year ( home win Roosters, away loss Storm), it shows we can compete with the best teams "on our day". Those "days" just dont come often enough for this team to make the 8 at the moment.

I still have many questions over SK's coaching ability but considering what he had to contend with last season on a personal level (wifes health), I would like to see how he goes without that dark cloud hanging over him next season.

It was disappointing that no new up and coming star arrived on the scene last year from the lower grades. No Lautititis, Jones, or Johnsons announcing themselves on the big stage. Hopefully next year we will see someone special (how old is Etene Nanai?)

spear tackle

Juniors
After the last few years I pretty much have no expectations so any win will be a bonus for me. But it does look like SK is assembling a very interesting team.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Well, I think if SJ and/or Mannering goes down, we could be in serious trouble.

I hate to say we are a two man team but if either one of those guys are missing, it impacts us greatly.

If these two stay on the park, I'd say 10th.

If either one of those guys have some serious time off the pitch, then we could be in the fight for the spoon.

I doubt Kearney will be coaching in 2019 either.

Go in with low expectations, anything higher is bonus.

Sad state really.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I want to have optimism but honestly I think we're no hope for the eight. I just don't see how a propping rotation of Blair, Gavet, Vete and Lisone/Paasi lays a platform to beat good sides.

Even 10th seems wildly optimistic. Which 6 teams are we finishing ahead of?

And as someone said, if SJ or even worse Mannering goes down, we're a spoon side.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
I think were going to have a similar year to this year, a shit one. We will be relying on the same guys RTS, Johnson, Fusitua, Gavet and from that we'll get the same result applying Kearneys basic no risk game plan.

We play the Storm, Cowboys, Broncos and the Roosters TWICE next year. As I said before, it looks like a shit year next year but we'll see.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/leagu...-tough-road-to-playoffs-as-nrl-draw-announced

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Imagine how useless Blair will be if he is not allowed to offload the ball. It is one real competitive advantage.
Yeah good point. See I don't know how thats going to work. Kearney reckons he never disallowed the off-load but his claim will truly be put to the test when Blair plays.

VillaTheGorilla

Juniors
Guys, I too, like you, started to lose hope this year, and when SJ got injured I didn't bother to watch any more games because I knew we wouldn't win. How ever, after all signings we've had, there's a little bit of belief starting to creep back in for me. I'm predicting we make the 8. I think by September we'll be sitting either 5th, 6th or 7th.
Reasons why:
  • Roache is coming a long nicely. This means either Luke has to step up, or he'll be left behind. A rotation of these two firing is going to be awesome for us next year (No WC for Luke will fire him up too)
  • Signings! 7 new signings, and while there not all top tier, these signings will make it difficult for Kata/Maumalo/Lisone to get away with being as rubbish as they are. They will either develop, or GTFO.
  • A fit pairing of SJ/Ata (who will really develop in the WC) in the halves to steer our team around well.
  • A new fitness coach - our last one was clearly crap as we struggled hugely.
  • Professional athletes - a core group of SJ/RTS/Blair/Gavet/Mannering/Harris and hopefully a few others will lead the way for the mentally fragile in our team, and will show them them how to train well, and not let your head drop during the game.
  • Mr Kearney will largely have a team that he has created and believes in. There's no excuses, and with his job on the line, he'll get the boys firing.
Looking at the team, we have a few stars but largely, there's a lot of mid tier guys in there. However, I think that Manly showed that this approach can work, and got there team firing really well considering they had a lot of average/mid tier signings.

Warriors to finish 5th next year, you heard it hear first!

Guys, I too, like you, started to lose hope this year, and when SJ got injured I didn't bother to watch any more games because I knew we wouldn't win. How ever, after all signings we've had, there's a little bit of belief starting to creep back in for me. I'm predicting we make the 8. I think by September we'll be sitting either 5th, 6th or 7th.
Reasons why:
  • Roache is coming a long nicely. This means either Luke has to step up, or he'll be left behind. A rotation of these two firing is going to be awesome for us next year (No WC for Luke will fire him up too)
  • Signings! 7 new signings, and while there not all top tier, these signings will make it difficult for Kata/Maumalo/Lisone to get away with being as rubbish as they are. They will either develop, or GTFO.
  • A fit pairing of SJ/Ata (who will really develop in the WC) in the halves to steer our team around well.
  • A new fitness coach - our last one was clearly crap as we struggled hugely.
  • Professional athletes - a core group of SJ/RTS/Blair/Gavet/Mannering/Harris and hopefully a few others will lead the way for the mentally fragile in our team, and will show them them how to train well, and not let your head drop during the game.
  • Mr Kearney will largely have a team that he has created and believes in. There's no excuses, and with his job on the line, he'll get the boys firing.
Looking at the team, we have a few stars but largely, there's a lot of mid tier guys in there. However, I think that Manly showed that this approach can work, and got there team firing really well considering they had a lot of average/mid tier signings.

Warriors to finish 5th next year, you heard it hear first!
The kool-aid is out early.
I'm not thirsty yet.
Not falling for pre-season hype this year.
Low expectations.

This is definitely one of our better recruiting in recent years. A good mixture and it's a good thing NOT all of them are superstar signings as we always tend to do better with mid tier signing mixed with some experience. I feel much better after the awful season we went through. 1 more forward and possibly Green will top it off. Gummmmmmon Pearce sign with Manly I want Green.

Latest posts