What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Widdop Fullback

MrDragon007

Juniors
Just read on NRL.com that England coach Wayne Bennett has named Gareth Widdop at fullback for this weekends game.
Alot on here have stated Widdop to fullback at the dragons (it wont happen imo) but what if Widdop destroys them at fullback?
What if Bennett keeps him there for the remainder of the world cup and Widdop kills it at fullback?
Do we think about tinkling with the idea in our dragons team for 2018?
Will be interesting to see how he goes. Im not sure if i want him to kill it or not to be honest.

Just read on NRL.com that England coach Wayne Bennett has named Gareth Widdop at fullback for this weekends game.
Alot on here have stated Widdop to fullback at the dragons (it wont happen imo) but what if Widdop destroys them at fullback?
What if Bennett keeps him there for the remainder of the world cup and Widdop kills it at fullback?
Do we think about tinkling with the idea in our dragons team for 2018?
Will be interesting to see how he goes. Im not sure if i want him to kill it or not to be honest.
Slay who, the Froggies?
Let's not get carried away.
Bennet didn't like what he saw from Widdop against Lebanon - especially the second half which is when we usually tanked in club games.
On the other hand both our star halves are playing out of position in their respective World Cup teams.
Hmmm.

MrDragon007

Juniors
Has played at no 1 for storm before he arrived at dragons.He would be a good fullback great defender at the back .Then we could have field at 6 with hunt.
Field and Hunt, could be similar to the Hunt / Milford combo?
Maybe move Dufty to the wing?
Widdop in backline plays would kill it, being a 5/8 and all.
Will be interesting to see how he goes at fullback.

Walpole

Juniors
Widdop has played a grand total of 7 games at fullback out of the 181 games he's played for England, Melbourne and the Dragons. Like Hunt playing at hooker, he's considered good enough to be able to cover a second position.

But, bloody hell, please let's see what the team's like with a genuine, top line 6 and 7 playing in their correct positions. We haven't had that since....

Last edited:

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Field and Hunt, could be similar to the Hunt / Milford combo?
Maybe move Dufty to the wing?
Widdop in backline plays would kill it, being a 5/8 and all.
Will be interesting to see how he goes at fullback.

I can see what your thinking.
But I think widdop to fullback will only happen if dufty is struggling.
We have more back up at fullback with field and herbert than we do in the halves.
The only other thing that might change that situation is if Nicholls is killing it in rev grade.
He could come into 6 and widdop to 1 and dufty back to rev grade untill he comes good.
But that is just conjure.

ouryear

Juniors
It's one thing in a tournament but over a long season is another. There was a time where Widdop could have been playing fullback (when we first got him) but the ship has sailed.

Widdop and Hunt need to develop a combination more than anything, that's the way the team has been constructed and what the team needs.
Surely he will be a better fullback than half though.
At least he won't be kicking the ball into players feet or backs.

And Graham can then lead the team, no one will hear widdop from way back there.

Many positives to shift him.
Bring it on I say.

In Wayne we trust.

JDHD

Juniors
Surely he will be a better fullback than half though.
At least he won't be kicking the ball into players feet or backs.

And Graham can then lead the team, no one will hear widdop from way back there.

Many positives to shift him.
Bring it on I say.

In Wayne we trust.

I stopped trusting in Wayne when he salted the god damn earth after he left us for Newcastle.

giboz71

First Grade
It's funny how Bennett is the messiah to most people.

But when he makes moves like Widdop to FB, or Hunt to hooker suddenly he has no idea.

Newsflash, Bennett has more of a clue than most on here (not that I'm advocating Widdop to FB for the Dragons).

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Yes I always give a chuckle whenever Bennett's name gets thrown around as the messiah or master coach.
Yes he is good but when was the last time he won a premiership?
Yes thats right 7yrs ago. Add to that he's probably had the cream of players, especially with the Broncos. At Newcastle he struggled too.
As we enter 2018 he has a far weaker (IMO) squad than the past couple of years.
As i said he's a good coach and yes instrumental in our 2010 GF win. However, he hasn't moved with the times since then and i doubt he ever will.
Oh and yes McGregor is not even a pimple on Bennetts backside.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
1 Widdop
2 Dufty
3 Lafai
4 McDonald
5 Mann
6 Hunt
7 Nicholls
8 Vaughan
9 McInnes
10 Graham
11Thompson
12 Frizell
13 De belin
14 Au mau
15 Allsgood
16 Sims
17 Lomax yes I hear what your saying Mary hates it well that's his problem.Mcdonald gets a run in the centres but not for too long wake up big guy it's up to you.Latimore and Allsgood take your pick. a clever coach might switch fullbacks in attack DUFTY/ WIDDOP..we don't have a clever coach

Last edited:

Latest posts