What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Widdop Fullback

Walpole

Juniors
1 Widdop
2 Garrick
3 Lafai
4 McDonald
5 Mann
6 Hunt
7 Nicholls
8 Vaughan
9 McInnes
10 Graham
11Thompson
12 Frizell
13 De belin
14 Au mau
15 LATIMORE
16 Alsgood
17 Dufty yes I hear what your saying Mary hates it well that's his problem.Mcdonald gets a run in the centres but not for too long wake up big guy it's up to you.
I don't like your starting pack.

They're all in their right positions.

Life's Good

Coach
If the suggestion is that Dufty won’t make it & Widdop should move to 1, I say get rid of Dufty. If you are moving Widdop to fullback because he is not a good half, I say get rid of Widdop.
I am not suggesting either(fan of both playing their nominated position) but we don’t have a coach who can take players from one position & make them better in another. It’s that simple.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
After Dufty’s run late in the season it would be a travesty to not stick with him at the start of the season, especially with an off season training in the position with the squad.
These are all hypothetical I like Dufty a lot but if Widdop is better at fullback for the team then I'm all for it but happy to run with the status quo for a few games.GO THE BIG RED V.

nontime111

Juniors
I like the idea of a mundine like electric attacking halves combo of Field and Hunt! with Widdy at fullback and Dufty on the wing possibly, this would tear oppositions to shreds!! even if theres a little bleed down the centre through the halves wed always score more tries than any opposition, I miss the Waite days of all out attack

Bench
Dufty should retain the fullback positiin. It was obvious that he was playing under instructions from McIdiot to pass the ball to a winger following a kick by the opsition.
That move have the opposition extra time in chasing the kick and costs us at least 10 Meters in bringing the ball out.
Dufty is an attacking weapon and should be used as such.

BigBoss

Juniors
I hope Dufty is hitting the gym like crazy atm, I saw a pic of him a month ago and holy shit he looks thin. Needs to bulk up alot more, but as long as he does I liked what I saw from him in his first half a season at fullback. Sure he was a bit patchy at times, but his game will improve tremendously running off a good proper halfback in Hunt.

Obviously Dufty gets first dibs at fullback for me barring injury, this Widdop at fullback talk is rubbish tbh.

Life's Good

Coach
After Dufty’s run late in the season it would be a travesty to not stick with him at the start of the season, especially with an off season training in the position with the squad.
Exactly. We have been screaming to have our promising juniors blooded and some want him shoved aside despite the promise he has shown. Does my head in.

Crush

Coach
1 Widdop
2 Garrick
3 Lafai
4 McDonald
5 Mann
6 Hunt
7 Nicholls
8 Vaughan
9 McInnes
10 Graham
11Thompson
12 Frizell
13 De belin
14 Au mau
15 LATIMORE
16 Alsgood
17 Dufty yes I hear what your saying Mary hates it well that's his problem.Mcdonald gets a run in the centres but not for too long wake up big guy it's up to you.
I think Sims deserves to be in the starting 17 somewhere.

Redhoopz

Juniors
Dufty did everything asked of him in first grade and deserves his spot!

If you don't agree with me then maybe these guys have some idea: Widdop, Vaughan, Sims, Mann, Hosty, De Belin & Atkin all mention he is the most improved and took his opportunity with both hands.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/10/31/player_season_review.af_news.html

Agree!

There is no reason to justify dropping Dufty at this stage. People need to have patience with him. It's like everyone expects him to be the finished product straight away.

New Dragon

Juniors
Agree!

There is no reason to justify dropping Dufty at this stage. People need to have patience with him. It's like everyone expects him to be the finished product straight away.
Agree. In half a season Dufty got better as he went on in what is as we know a massive step up. He's got the juice and is in my view not only a great runner of the ball but has good awareness and a great pass. i mean tries scored off his pass after entering the back line as fullback in first grade is happening already. Not bad. Defence is all we are talking about which relates to his body development and courage and i reckon he has the latter for sure. If we think that Lomax or Sailor or others are going to come into first grade and rip it up from day one we are dreaming. Jack Johns a good example as there are similar wraps on him from their camp up north but he was well behind the level of first grade from what i saw of him in the 20 mins of the world cup game. Patience is right.

ouryear

Juniors
It's Dufty's spot for now but we should still be considering other options if he doesn't work out. I just don't think Widdop should be one of them.

I want widdop at fullback, not because i think he will be anything great there....but because.

Yep, you guessed it, i cant tolerate him as a playmaker or captain. Sickens me.

1. It will at least make him run.
2. I want to see if he can actually take on a line of defenders....or just pass it to nighty to take the hit for him
3. It will stop him screwing with hunts game and wont let him play mind games like he has with every number 7 unlucky enough to play next to him
4. He wont get the chance to kick the ball into players ankles and backs
5. Not many fullbacks are captains.... bring on Graham
6. He wont get the chance to attempt to control our game.....and see us continually lose week after week

TweedDragon

Juniors
Dufty deserves first shot at FB.
The Widdop and Hunt combination needs to be at least tried for the first 5 rounds then re-assess if its not working, Widdops started 2017 pretty bloody good, maybe without the pressure of doing all the kicking he might hit great form. Happy for Widdop not to be captain but dont give it to Graham, I prefer DeBelin or Fritz.

Last edited:

ouryear

Juniors
Gareth is being judged playing for us at 6 without taking some important factors into consideration. Dunce coaches and dunce halfbacks.
Many players have had crap coaches, check out JTs coaches at the Cowboys over the past 10 yrs.
Widdop is meant to be an international for goodness sakes.....The cream of the crop.