What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Totally OFF the NRL

T-Boon

Coach
Safety first has changed a game that was meant to have scant regard for safety . . . hence its attraction in the first place

The game we have now is what's on offer . . . we can either embrace it or ignore it

Good point.
Since they have changed rules to take most of the brutality out of the game they should at least bring in rules to bring some more skill into it. An arm wrestle is boring unless someones arm might snap.

40/30.

Stallion

First Grade
This anecdote may be true but what you're suggesting it means is bullshit. I live in the hunter and know lots of people from Newcastle right through to Tamworth. I've met a few people who like AFL but larely it remains little more than a minority sport. League rules the roost with soccer having a fantastic club scene and union having a strong club scene as well.

AFL may be growing in some rugby league areas but Newcastle isn't one of them. If anything like NQLD it's one of the true rugby league strongholds.

Head in the sand stuff! Lets ignore it and its not happening! Only lately, this year in fact, I have seen 'backyard league' and information about a league tag tournament with 75 primary schools participating. The last decade has been wasted from what I suspect from a development viewpoint. Development people have poorly targeted their approach and have been lazy! Only now have I noticed rugby league appearing in the primary schools of Newcastle. Im amazed that leaguetag is not a PSSA sport all over Australia? Looks like AFL is grabbing that mantle! Its already a PSSA sport for NSW. Go figure. That's anecdotal as well is it?

Last edited:

kbw

Bench
People do need to take their head out of the sand in terms of AFL v NRL.
Its not so much about the supporters in RL heartland now, but in 20 years time.

AFL as much as its not my preferred sport has got its model right. They are in schools and pooring money into the grassroots. Importantly its not about developing elite players its about inclusion and getting everyday normal kids playing the game.
The limited funding to grassroots of RL by the NRL is far more focused on development and pathways as opposed to just getting kids to play.

T-Boon

Coach
Anyone who denies AFL is eyeing off Newcastle is crazy. If they aren't it would lay a long way outside their usual MO. RL & the Knights are clear number 1 here but as with everywhere else RL is doing the bare minimum.
AFL will help Newcastle try to get the Commonwealth games in 2030 or whatever and the government will build a stadium just perfect for Cricket & AFL team.

Billythekid

First Grade
Head in the sand stuff! Lets ignore it and its not happening! Only lately, this year in fact, I have seen 'backyard league' and information about a league tag tournament with 75 primary schools participating. The last decade has been wasted from what I suspect from a development viewpoint. Development people have poorly targeted their approach and have been lazy! Only now have I noticed rugby league appearing in the primary schools of Newcastle. Im amazed that leaguetag is not a PSSA sport all over Australia? Looks like AFL is grabbing that mantle! Its already a PSSA sport for NSW. Go figure. That's anecdotal as well is it?

Of course it is. Neither of us are posting any actual data or statistics so it's all anecdotal evidence. I'm not putting my head in the sand. I've stated numerous times that I think the NRL should be doing more to expand not just into new markets but existing ones. In particular we should be taking the fight to the AFL in Sydney.

However in Newcastle and he hunter AFL is an also ran. In the upper hunter like singleton, Muswellbrook, Scone, Tamworth etc The AFL might as well not exist. In Newcastle it doesn't even register at the top level and at a junior level is dwarfed by league, union, soccer, netball etc. That's not to say AFL isn't a threat to League but Newcastle isn't where that's happening.

Pedge1971

First Grade
Safety first has changed a game that was meant to have scant regard for safety . . . hence its attraction in the first place

The game we have now is what's on offer . . . we can either embrace it or ignore it

I think he was referring to the total lack of regard the nrl pays to its grassroots supporters not rule changes. Coaches have also made the nrl game more negative and less fun. Watching this world cup highlights that.

Im in primary schools in GWS land.

18 schools and the Giants and AFL viewed with mirth by the multi ethnic kids and parents.

NRL is king of the kids.

The few kids who "play" AFL tend to be the kids on the bottom of the barrel when it came to sport...the weak, the feeble, the chronic asthmatics.

No 20 year plan or million dollar investment will save them.

T-Boon

Coach
Whilst you joke I'd say ice hockey probably is legitimately bigger than AFL in Newcastle.

Nah, the problem you have is AFL is on TV here in Newcastle more than NRL is. Every sports fan here knows certain AFL names whereas nobody knows a single Ice hockey name...Stretski?
If you think Ice hockey is bigger than AFL here then you definitely are burying head in sand.

King hit

Coach
I bet the only kids who play AFL in Newcastle are ex pat Victorians spreading the gospel of AFL foodie. Will never forget the Victorian dude that was in my furnishing class in high school.

mozza91

Coach
I bet the only kids who play AFL in Newcastle are ex pat Victorians spreading the gospel of AFL foodie. Will never forget the Victorian dude that was in my furnishing class in high school.
Don't forget the skinny feeble kids who lack the coordination to play real sport.

T-Boon

Coach
No idea. They get coverage on on NBN news most days though and they have a small loyal fan base.

I've been to a Stars game. It is a good night. I can't believe there is an Ice hockey league in Australia but no gridiron league.

Billythekid

First Grade
Nah, the problem you have is AFL is on TV here in Newcastle more than NRL is. Every sports fan here knows certain AFL names whereas nobody knows a single Ice hockey name...Stretski?
If you think Ice hockey is bigger than AFL here then you definitely are burying head in sand.

Being shown on TV doesn't mean shit. The AFL's rating in NSW are woeful and in rural NSW practically non existent. If anything that further proves my point, Newcastle has plenty of exposure to AFL on TV but nobody is actually watching it.

Ice hockey draws bigger crowds than AFL in Newcastle and gets more coverage on the local news. It's played to a higher level than AFL in Newcastle as well.

I'm well aware of the threat the AFL poses, Newcastle just isn't one of those battlegrounds.

Stallion

First Grade
Of course it is. Neither of us are posting any actual data or statistics so it's all anecdotal evidence. I'm not putting my head in the sand. I've stated numerous times that I think the NRL should be doing more to expand not just into new markets but existing ones. In particular we should be taking the fight to the AFL in Sydney.

However in Newcastle and he hunter AFL is an also ran. In the upper hunter like singleton, Muswellbrook, Scone, Tamworth etc The AFL might as well not exist. In Newcastle it doesn't even register at the top level and at a junior level is dwarfed by league, union, soccer, netball etc. That's not to say AFL isn't a threat to League but Newcastle isn't where that's happening.

Misunderstood the point. Even in so called rugby league heartland AFL and other codes are doing their best to gain potential rugby league players. Complacency is not a good idea. Ive visited a catholic school in Muswellbrook last and AFL was present and an option. I really do think rugby league should be promoting leaguetag as much as possible for primary school age kids. I'm also suggesting that original touch footy rules should be reintroduced to familiarize kids with rugbyleague centric rules such as playing the ball with the foot, marker and dummy half play. And kicking off any tap. Here's hoping.

Latest posts