What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why not play Jai Field on the Wing?

Rob Dragon

Juniors
Why not? He is lighting fast; which we lack in spades. Bevan French and Josh Ado-Carr aren’t big men but they are lighting fast and every time they get the ball the opposition panics. So why not Jai Field? And do not dare tell me it is because his kick returns might lack venom. Have you seen that lump of garbage Nene McDonald return the ball? Please!

Dufty at fullback, Field on the wing and potentially Lomax in the centers. That’s sounds about right doesn’t it?

The great immortal Robert Fulton once said something that I have never forgotten as follows “You can coach a lot of things in football, but you can’t coach speed and trust me when I say that speed terrifies the opposition.” But I suppose Mary knows more than Bob Fulton on this issue!

ALSGI

Bench
Field’s too quick mate.
Better off in reggies where the young blokes have a chance to catch him and make it interesting.

If he replaced say Nighty for example, wouldn’t be much fun watching one of our wingers race 80m for a try untouched, or maybe a Storm winger might run him down before he passed back inside to Duffty - that would be boring as bat shit.

Nope, let’s stick with Nighty he’s a legend.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I don't like the idea of Field on the wing, but going back to the 80's, he would have fit the bill. I don't think he is a winger. I think he is a 5/8, who could become a good fullback too.

I have only seen a bit of Matherson Johns, but what I did see, I liked. He has a bigger build than Field, a couple of people on this forum have said that they think he will end up as an edge backrower. He can play centre or wing. I would very much consider giving him a shot at one wing spot. I would also have Lomax penciled in as one center, with Lafai the other.

Life's Good

Coach
Field will be monstered by the opposition edge runners when they are on the attack. His body size doesn’t fill me with confidence to out jump other wingers eg. Rapana, Oates, Vunivalu etc. I appreciate there is room for smaller players but I just can’t see where Field fits into the squad.

Last edited:

Qdf

Juniors
Field will be monstered by the opposition edge runners when they are on the attack. His body size doesn’t fill me with confidence to out jump other wingers eg. Rapana, Oates, Vunivalu etc. I appreciate there is room for smaller players but I just can’t see where Field fits into the squad.
Field will be a utility player (14) .Half, 5/8 or 9.Till his body matures...

watatank

Coach
Field will be a utility player (14) .Half, 5/8 or 9.Till his body matures...

Or a more likely position, fullback

Dufty and Field in the back 3 would get dominated. This isn't touch football. We'd be relying heavily on a player like MacDonald to help us get out of our own end.

Realistically there probably isn't room for both Dufty and Field. They'll be competing for the same spot given that we have committed to signing Widdop long term.

Life's Good

Coach
Or a more likely position, fullback

Dufty and Field in the back 3 would get dominated. This isn't touch football. We'd be relying heavily on a player like MacDonald to help us get out of our own end.

Realistically there probably isn't room for both Dufty and Field. They'll be competing for the same spot given that we have committed to signing Widdop long term.
Totally agree. I said as much earlier that I can’t see where Field fits into the FG side. The halves are sealed for at least 3 years & we have a stack of junior outside backs.

possm

Coach
Mainly because opposition outside backs and edge forwards are big and strong these days, Field would be rag dolled over the touch line in attack and nothing but a speed bump in defence. I'm not sure why Field is being groomed as a fullback, to me he is a natural five-eighth. So unless Mary plans to move Widdop, Field will either be a first grade utility or a reserve grade five-eighth.

To me, Masters, Lomax and Dufty make more sense at fullback than Field

Reactions: Qdf

RedVDragon

Juniors
Steve Slippery Morris became an outstanding winger. Same frame and speed. So why not, small, midget or not. Yes we may even score more points. Funny that.