What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Break out star for 2018?

Rsag85

Bench
Who is going to be our next back out star in season 2018 out of all the young kids in the squad?

Who haven’t played first grade yet

Last edited:

callmack1

Staff member
My top three:

1. Murray (hasn't quite broken out yet)
2. Jennings
3. Arthars

callmack1

Staff member
Okay if we're picking someone who hasn't played, I'll say Arthars. I genuinely think he could make a wing spot his own if he gets the chance.

rabbitohs95

Bench
I think Jesse Arthars would be the leading candidate considering he's already played a year of reserve grade and there are backline spots open, and I think he'll debut by at least Origin time.

If one of the halves starts to struggle in form I have no doubt Doueihi will debut, in fact I think he will debut at some point in the season no matter what.

I'd like to see the likes of Sam Johnstone and Ky Rodwell play some first grade but I'm a little doubtful as they are still young and have yet to really play much if any reserve grade.

Make no mistake though, we have a great crop of youngins' coming through.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
I'm gonna say Doueihi but Arthars is a smokey for me. I mean stuck behind Slater and Munster, how much more blocked could your NRL pathway be?

Bullshit Murray counts. He has definitely broken out. We all know he's a gun.

southsport

First Grade
I'm gonna say Doueihi but Arthars is a smokey for me. I mean stuck behind Slater and Munster, how much more blocked could your NRL pathway be?

I haven't seen Arthars play but that is so true about being stuck behind Slater and Munster.

Last edited:

rabbitohs95

Bench

I think Murray still has a bit to prove. He's only played 9 games. I'm expecting him to do even better this year than last.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
I think Murray still has a bit to prove. He's only played 9 games. I'm expecting him to do even better this year than last.

Yeah that's fair enough but I still think he's a lot more proven than some of our rookies that played the full season: Jennings, Burns. His stats were absolutely incredible and his speed for a forward is crazy. I have a friend who watches a lot of U20's and Bears games and he basically said before he got promoted that he is going to be the best young player in the game when he finally gets his debut. So far I can't disagree with him.

I haven't seen Arthars play but that is so true about being stuck behind Slater and Munster.

From what I've heard about him his best position by far is fullback. It's been a while since we've had a solid replacement fullback that can just shift in for GI and we don't have to shuffle the whole team around. When he got shifted to centre his stats dropped a fair bit. I assume the Storm were trying to figure out another way to get him into the NRL side.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Burns is also another player that has a big point to prove coming into this next season. Whilst he was remembered for his performance against the panthers I think there were signs this year that this kid could be a star. He has that natural ability that most players have to work really hard on. I only have to talk about the charity shield this year to talk about how much potential this kid has. Maybe when origin comes around he could get a start in his preferred position of centre.

Everyone must be feeling the heat about their spots to be honest. There is a real chance for any of these young guys to establish themselves as first graders this season. There's basically a vacant number 3 and number 4 jersey with their names on it. I seriously don't think they'll get a better chance in their career than this season.

rabbitohs95

Bench
Burns is also another player that has a big point to prove coming into this next season. Whilst he was remembered for his performance against the panthers I think there were signs this year that this kid could be a star. He has that natural ability that most players have to work really hard on. I only have to talk about the charity shield this year to talk about how much potential this kid has. Maybe when origin comes around he could get a start in his preferred position of centre.

Everyone must be feeling the heat about their spots to be honest. There is a real chance for any of these young guys to establish themselves as first graders this season. There's basically a vacant number 3 and number 4 jersey with their names on it. I seriously don't think they'll get a better chance in their career than this season.
Well put. I think Burns unfortunately never got a chance to prove himself in his most comfortable position in first grade. He has some tough competition with Gagai, Hunt and Graham though.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Well put. I think Burns unfortunately never got a chance to prove himself in his most comfortable position in first grade. He has some tough competition with Gagai, Hunt and Graham though.

Just out of curiosity do you really think Gagai will be in the centres? I mean Mal Meninga throughout the whole tournament has kept him on the wing even through injuries. Kevin Walters did the same. Don't you think he'll be better for us on the wing than in the centres?

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Oh and I also think Talakai could be an absolute monster up front. I still think he'd be an awesome prop but oh well. He has all of the traits to be a great prop. Second row will have to do though.

southsport

First Grade
Just out of curiosity do you really think Gagai will be in the centres? Iaj and Gagai mean Mal Meninga throughout the whole tournament has kept him on the wing even through injuries. Kevin Walters did the same. Don't you think he'll be better for us on the wing than in the centres?

We would have good wingers with AJ and Gagai, it's an interesting prospect with wing being such a critical position.

Latest posts