What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Widdop at Fullback

dino2170

Juniors
Realise the opposition is only France but gee Widdop looks very comfortable and potent at FB ...his positional, running and passing game is going very well...
thats not the problem its the centres and flanks WE NEED SPEED AND MORE SPEED

Why not get rid of liafi, mcdonald and flo and replace them with the england backs??????

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Realise the opposition is only France but gee Widdop looks very comfortable and potent at FB ...his positional, running and passing game is going very well...

Agree Mark
He started off as a full back.
Will be interesting to see how they go against better opposition.

Coffs dragon

Bench
In reality it really comes down to Bennett vs McGreggor in coaching ability, tactics and man management.
It's like comparing a Ferrari car with a 2nd hand JetSki with a hole in it. One will get you there in style and comfort whilst the other pretends to be a mode of transport.

Life's Good

Coach
In regards to Widdop to FB for us I say no. He will have an established halves partner in Hunt meaning we will have a top shelf 6/7 for the first time in ages. Why would anyone want to mess with that before the team as even run out is beyond me.

Also, Robbie Farah looked good at 7 for Lebanon vs. France. Lets see if Souths are looking to shift him to 7.

KiamaSaint

Coach
In regards to Widdop to FB for us I say no. He will have an established halves partner in Hunt meaning we will have a top shelf 6/7 for the first time in ages. Why would anyone want to mess with that before the team as even run out is beyond me.

Also, Robbie Farah looked good at 7 for Lebanon vs. France. Lets see if Souths are looking to shift him to 7.

Rabbitohs have an established halfback in Reynolds, they may well try Farah at 7 if he goes down. As much as Dufty's debut was excellent I wouldn't call him an established fullback. If Dufty can't perform, then not considering Widdop to 1 and Mann to 6 would be narrow minded.

Life's Good

Coach
Rabbitohs have an established halfback in Reynolds, they may well try Farah at 7 if he goes down. As much as Dufty's debut was excellent I wouldn't call him an established fullback. If Dufty can't perform, then not considering Widdop to 1 and Mann to 6 would be narrow minded.
I actually think Mann should be the option as back up FB, then Field(that’s what Millward earmarked him as earlier this year & he will need to get a shot at some point).
Look, I’m just not a fan of having your best players strengthen a position which weakens the one they are being paid handsomely to fill(see my comments re Hunt to hooker).

KiamaSaint

Coach
I actually think Mann should be the option as back up FB, then Field(that’s what Millward earmarked him as earlier this year & he will need to get a shot at some point).
Look, I’m just not a fan of having your best players strengthen a position which weakens the one they are being paid handsomely to fill(see my comments re Hunt to hooker).
Agree regarding Hunt and I am not suggesting we should definitely do it but I have always thought Widdop is a FB we have made half. His short kicking game is a strength, he can play both sides of the ruck and the $$$ should matter that much if he is playing 1 or 6 in my opinion.

As I said in another thread, I think 1. Dufty 6. Widdop 7. Hunt and 9. McInnes should be our first combo but I would definitely entertain 1. Widdop 6. Mann 7. Hunt and 9. McInnes.

Life's Good

Coach
Agree regarding Hunt and I am not suggesting we should definitely do it but I have always thought Widdop is a FB we have made half. His short kicking game is a strength, he can play both sides of the ruck and the $$$ should matter that much if he is playing 1 or 6 in my opinion.

As I said in another thread, I think 1. Dufty 6. Widdop 7. Hunt and 9. McInnes should be our first combo but I would definitely entertain 1. Widdop 6. Mann 7. Hunt and 9. McInnes.

Pretty sure Widdop has never stated he was/is/wants to be an FB.
Not because I care whether I am right or wrong, if Widdop isn’t playing FB, then that is a good thing in my eyes because Dufty is holding his own.
Let’s see how it all pans out.

KiamaSaint

Coach
Pretty sure Widdop has never stated he was/is/wants to be an FB.
Not because I care whether I am right or wrong, if Widdop isn’t playing FB, then that is a good thing in my eyes because Dufty is holding his own.
Let’s see how it all pans out.
Absolutely, we all want Dufty to be holding his own and more.

j0nesy

Bench

Agree with your first combo but I’d play Field at 5/8th if Widdop is to play at the back.

Last edited:

watatank

Coach

I think he is more of a natural fullback but the timing to make the move is poor. Widdop will be 29 next year. He hasn't played fullback in years. He won't get an offseason to train there and build fitness. We have signed him for four years for what he has done in the halves and he'll have a longer career as a half IMO.

Latest posts