What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Articles

Old Timer

Coach
Player Season Review: Which player will you miss?
Fri 3rd November, 02:00PM
A A

As they head towards a new season, 2018 St George Illawarra players were asked which departing player will they miss most at the Dragons.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/11/03/player_season_review.html
FMD who cares who they will miss and why would you even bother to ask that?
They should have asked what are they most looking forward to with the incoming group of players and what positives that will bring to our team.

getsmarty

Immortal
Nicholls, Allgood complete Dragons' Top 30
Tue 7th November, 02:00PM
A A

The St George Illawarra Dragons have finalised their Top 30 squad for the 2018 Telstra Premiership season following the signings of Darren Nicholls and Mitchell Allgood.

Halfback Nicholls joins the Red V from the Penrith Panthers on a two-year contract, which will tie him to the club until at least the end of the 2019 season.

The 28-year-old – who has previously featured at the Wests Tigers, Rabbitohs and Broncos – skippered the Panthers' Intrust Super Premiership side in 2017 to an NRL State Championship victory over the PNG Hunters.

Director of Rugby League Pathways Ian Millward anticipated that Nicholls's experience and ambitions will hold him in good stead at the Dragons.

"We head-hunted Darren to come on board for the reason that he is a very experienced halfback. He's been at a couple of NRL clubs now and he's probably been the best player in the Intrust Super Premiership and Cup over the last couple of years," Millward said.

"We looked at him for a number of reasons. One because we are anticipating Ben Hunt may play State of Origin in 2018 and we also wanted to make sure we had a person who'd be good for our younger guys like Jai Field, Tristan Sailor and Jackson Willis.

"Darren has a real aspiration to play in the NRL and we believe he is the sort of person that can step up and play first grade on a regular basis."

Allgood will join the Dragons on a one-year deal following a three-year stint in the English Super League at Hull KR (2015-16) and Wakefield Trinity Wildcats (2017).

A veteran of 70 NRL games during his time with the Parramatta Eels (2011-14), Allgood also represented the City Origin team in 2012.

"Mitchell is someone who will come in with NRL experience and someone who wants to prove himself. On a one-year contract, Mitchell has to come out of the blocks and show us that he deserves to be in the NRL with the Dragons," Millward said.

"There was plenty of thought put into Mitchell in terms of his age, experience and his position. On top of James Graham and Jeremy Latimore as well as Mitchell, they all have experience which will help the young front-rowers coming through the ranks."

Nicholls and Allgood's signings completes the Dragons' Top 30 squad ahead of the 2018 season.

While the Dragons are yet to fulfil the minimum quota of three development players within the full-time squad, this is expected to be finalised in the coming days and weeks. Tristan Sailor and Steven Marsters have already been named as development players for 2018.

The first wave of players will report to week one of pre-season training this week.

St George Illawarra Dragons 2018 squad:

1. Leeson Ah Mau
  2. Euan Aitken
  3. Mitchell Allgood
  4. Jack de Belin
  5. Matt Dufty
  6. Jai Field
  7. Tyson Frizell
  8. Reuben Garrick
  9. James Graham
  10. Patrick Herbert
  11. Ben Hunt
  12. Jacob Host
  13. Josh Kerr
  14. Tim Lafai
  15. Jeremy Latimore
  16. Blake Lawrie
  17. Luciano Leilua
  18. Zac Lomax
  19. Nene Macdonald
  20. Kurt Mann
  21. Cameron McInnes
  22. Darren Nicholls
  23. Jason Nightingale
  24. Jordan Pereira
  25. Reece Robson
  26. Hame Sele
  27. Tariq Sims
  28. Joel Thompson
  29. Paul Vaughan
  30. Gareth Widdop
http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/11/07/nicholls_allgood_com.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Hunt ends three-year Test hiatus
Tue 7th November, 04:00PM
A A

1510096926347.jpg

2017 NRL - Grant Trouville :copyright: NRL Photos

St George Illawarra recruit Ben Hunt will play his first Test for Australia in three years against Lebanon in week three of the 2017 Rugby League World Cup.

While Dragons teammate Tyson Frizell has been rested from playing the Cedars, Hunt has been named on the interchange for the Kangaroos for Saturday night's game.

Dragons prop Paul Vaughan (Italy) and utility Joe Lovodua (Fiji) will play one another on Friday night at Canberra Stadium.

Leeson Ah Mau (interchange) and Tim Lafai (centre) have been named for Samoa's all-important clash against Scotland in Cairns.

The winner of the Samoa-Scotland fixture will secure their place in the RLWC quarters to likely face Australia.

Dragons skipper Gareth Widdop has been named at fullback for England, with James Graham in the front row, to play France over in Perth.

Nene Macdonald will play in the centres on Sunday afternoon for Papua New Guinea in their clash against the United States of America in Port Moresby.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/11/07/hunt_ends_three_year.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Gerringong's Garrick to push for NRL debut with Dragons
  • Dragons Den

Future: Young Dragons talent Reuben Garrick is part of the top squad.
    THE St George Illawarra Dragons have finalised their top 30 squad for the 2018 premiership season and it includes a number of Group Seven products.

Most notably is Gerringong Lions product Reuben Garrick, who progresses to the senior squad after spending time with the National Youth Championship squad the past three seasons.

Garrick is joined by fellow Gerringong product Tariq Sims in the squad and fellow Group 7 product Jai Field, an Albion Park-Oak Flats/Shellharbour junior, in the squad.

St George Illawarra Dragons 2018 squad: Leeson Ah Mau, Euan Aitken, Mitchell Allgood, Jack de Belin, Matt Dufty, Jai Field, Tyson Frizell, Reuben Garrick, James Graham, Patrick Herbert, Ben Hunt, Jacob Host, Josh Kerr, Tim Lafai, Jeremy Latimore, Blake Lawrie, Luciano Leilua, Zac Lomax, Nene Macdonald, Kurt Mann, Cameron McInnes, Darren Nicholls, Jason Nightingale, Jordan Pereira, Reece Robson, Hame Sele, Tariq Sims, Joel Thompson, Paul Vaughan and Gareth Widdop.
http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5042919/garricks-push-for-nrl-debut/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Kezie Apps leading Australian World Cup charge

Inspired by Australa’s previous triumph, Kezie Apps is determined to claim her own World Cup glory.

Illawarra star Kezie Apps is part of the 24-woman Australian squad that will kick of its title defence against the Cook Islands on Thursday, November 16.

Every group match and both semi finals will be played at Shark Park in Cronulla, with the Grand Final a double-header with the Men’s final in Brisbane.

Australia will also play England and Canada during the group stage of the tournament. Apps on Wednesday said she was over the moon to be selected for the team.

“To get that final phone call to say that I’d made the final 24 was really exciting, and to be here is pretty surreal,” she said.

“Four years ago when I saw that the girls had won the World Cup, that was my inspiration to get into Rugby League.

“To be in the position now to hopefully hold up that World Cup is insane.”

Part of the appeal of the World Cup is the varying nations that will contest the tournament.

“I’m really looking forward to playing someone different,” Apps said.

“That’s what I’m really excited about for this World Cup, to play someone other than New Zealand.”

Due to the abbreviated nature of the Tournament, the girls will play three games in a seven day period, with the possibility of a fourth four days later if they were to qualify for the semi finals.

“As long as we do everything right, we’ve got the right coaching staff and all the right processes in place to make us the best we can be for those games.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5046300/apps-on-top-of-the-world/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Jeremy Latimore
A A
image.scale.thumbnail.200.300.jpg

• Date of Birth: 08-10-1986
  • Height: 191cm
  • Weight: 110kg
  • Position: Prop
  • Rep. Honours: PM XIII (2015), Junior Kangaroos (2005)
  • Junior Clubs: Port Macquarie Sharks
  • Previous Clubs: Parramatta Eels (2009), New Zealand Warriors (2010-2011), St George Illawarra Dragons (2012), Penrith Panthers (2013-2016), Cronulla Sharks (2017)
  • FG Debut: Parramatta Eels v South Sydney Rabbitohs, ANZ Stadium, 22/05/2009 (Round 11)
  • Club Debut: v Newcastle Knights, Hunter Stadium, 01/03/2012 (Round 1)

Latimore returns to the Dragons for the first time in six years after signing a one-year deal with the Red V for the 2018 Telstra Premiership season.

With stints at the Penrith Panthers and Cronulla Sharks under his belt since his time at the Dragons, Latimore will add invaluable experience to the club's wider squad in 2018.

http://www.dragons.com.au/team/profiles/jeremy_latimore.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Jacob Host predicts home ground advantage for St George Illawarra Dragons in 2018
  • Dragon's Den

Home ground advantage: St George junior Jacob Host is looking forward to more games at Kogarah this season. Pictures: John Veage
    St George Illawarra forward Jacob Host believes the club’s decision to split home games between their traditional suburban venues could help propel the Dragons towards a top four finish.

The Dragons announced in September they would play 10 of their 12 home games at Jubilee Oval, Kogarah and Wollongong’s WIN Stadium split evenly in 2018 – the spiritual homes of St George and Illawarra.

The remaining two home games will be the traditional ANZAC Day clash with the Sydney Roosters at Allianz Stadium, while the Dragons will take their round 11 clash with Canberra to Mudgee as part of a two-year agreement which will also see the club play a home game in the regional centre in 2019.

Dragons CEO Peter Doust said in October the Mudgee partnership would essentially balance the cost of playing their remaining home games at Kogarah and Wollongong.

The club have abandoned ANZ Stadium and the SCG as home venues, where they hosted matches last season, following a review of their ‘right game, right venue’ strategy. The Dragons won four out of their five matches at Kogarah last season but lost half of their home games at Wollongong and ANZ Stadium and lost their only home match at the SCG.

The Dragons returned to pre-season training on Tuesday and host Brisbane in the 2018 season opener at Jubilee Oval on March 8.

And Host, a St George junior with Renown United, told the Leader he believes more games at the Dragons’ suburban homes will equate to more success on the field.

“I think the suburban grounds it feels like the fans are much more part of the game and have a bigger influence in the way we play,” he said.

r11_0_1190_661_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Jacob Host

“At the bigger stadiums sometimes it can feel like the crowd is more scattered and the atmosphere is flatter which I think can translate onto the field.

“Kogarah and Wollongong when they are full is a massive factor. It’s fantastic, playing games in front of our passionate fans lifts the team. I know the boys love playing at Kogarah and Wollongong.

“Kogarah is definitely my favourite ground to play footy at. I dreamed of playing in front of the big crowds there for years and years as a kid. To play first grade for a couple of games there when it has got that buzz, rocking up with the fans all out the front of the ground and then when you run out for kick off is a fantastic feeling.

“All the boys understand the proud history that goes with Kogarah. St George had some formidable sides that played there. It’s something everyone really respects and wants to strive towards ourselves to create our own history.”

St George Illawarra and South Sydney will also take their traditional Charity Shield clashes to Mudgee for the next two seasons.
http://www.theleader.com.au/story/5...ground-advantage-for-dragons-in-2018/?cs=3833

dragon thomo

Juniors
I agree , to ask the players who they would miss most is a crazy question for them to answer. What about asking each player what is the main part of there game they would like to improve?

getsmarty

Immortal
Hunt ready to feel Dragons fire
Sat 11th November, 09:00AM
A A

By Margie McDonald - NRL.com Senior Reporter

Any pressure starting to congregate on the shoulders of St George Illawarra's star 2018 signing Ben Hunt is nothing compared with what he felt in the glare of Suncorp Stadium as the new Brisbane Broncos starting halfback.

In the latter rounds of a disappointing 2013 season, then Broncos coach Anthony Griffin made the bold move to shift his No.7 Peter Wallace to the bench and bring Hunt off the interchange roster. Hunt showed what he could do in the last six rounds of that year, formally taking over as Broncos chief playmaker in 2014.

So if the 27-year-old could handle the heat then, he's more than equipped for whatever the Red V brigade in Wollongong and Kogarah expect of him.

"I feel like I've never really felt the pressure that much," Hunt said from inside the Kangaroos' World Cup camp this week.

"Being a halfback in a Brisbane Broncos team, there is always a lot of pressure on you. It's something I haven't thought too much about, I concentrate on what my coach and my teammates want from me and go from there.

"(Remember) there have been some great ones (Broncos halves) over the years. Being that one-club town, there's always been pressure on the team and always a lot of pressure on anyone in the halves up there. It's something I guess I'm used to."

But while the Broncos have a magnificent record as they enter their 30th year – six premierships, 25 finals series and one Immortal in Wally Lewis – the Dragons can up the ante.

The famous St George club began in 1921, before merging with the Illawarra Steelers in 1999. As St George they won 15 premierships, 11 of those on the trot (1956-66) and produced three Immortals in Reg Gasnier, Johnny Raper and Graeme Langlands.

"I hadn't really looked into it (Dragons history) until I got involved with the club," Hunt said.

"I looked into it a little bit, obviously the premierships they've won way back, they're such a famous club.

"I'm more excited about getting down there and learning about the club from the people who have been there for a long time. Obviously coach Mary (Paul McGregor) knows a lot about the club and players like that, I just want to learn off him and them."

Leaving the goldfish bowl around the Brisbane Broncos will offer a little relief for Hunt as well.

"I think it will. I've talked to a few people that have been to the Broncos and come down to Sydney, they seem to think the pressure is nowhere near as much as up there, no matter what position you play," he said.

"Hopefully I'm prepared for it."

Hunt won't have to wait long to reacquaint himself with his former teammates, as the Dragons host the Broncos in the 2018 Telstra Premiership season opener at Jubilee Oval on March 8.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/11/11/hunt_ready_to_feel_d.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons play part 'In League, In Harmony'
Sun 12th November, 09:00AM
A A

1510284096240.jpg;pvb5e5ba51821b6f30

The St George Illawarra Dragons played part this past school term in the New South Wales sector of the NRL Community 'In League, In Harmony' program.

The In League, In Harmony program broke new ground again with the team heading to Wollongong for the first time, with the Smith Street Unit hosting the program.

St George Illawarra Dragons Ambassador and club legend Matt Cooper and retired NRL referee and current NRL Game Development Officer Luke Potter delivered the program with the team.

Matt and Luke will assist the program over the next six weeks. This term, two new locations are hosting the program in NSW: Turramurra High School and Jamison High School.

This term, the program is being hosted in ten different locations including two Juvenile Justice Centres and three behavioural schools.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/11/12/dragons_play_part_in.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons RLWC Wrap: Week Three
Mon 13th November, 10:00AM
A A

Seven St George Illawarra Dragons stamped their authority on week three of the 2017 Rugby League World Cup, including a Man of the Match effort from skipper Gareth Widdop.

Widdop – who donned the No. 1 jumper for England – scored his nation's first try and kicked four goals against France, which is sure to provide former Red V coach Wayne Bennett food for thought ahead of his side's quarters clash against Papua New Guinea.

2018 Dragon James Graham continued his impressive Cup by scoring a try in England's eventual 36-6 win over France in Perth.

Graham and Widdop will go head-to-head with club teammate and PNG representative Nene Macdonald next week – who scored a try in the Kumuls' 64-0 win over the United States of America.

It was unfortunate news for Dragons and Italian prop Paul Vaughan however as the Azzuri's campaign came to end in Canberra following a 38-10 defeat to Fiji.

Ben Hunt played his first Test for Australia since the 2014 Four Nations tournament in the Kangaroos' tough 34-0 win over Lebanon. Australia will now play Samoa next week in the quarter finals where Dragons back-rower Tyson Frizell is expected to play.

Speaking of Samoa, they qualified for the Cup finals by the skin of their teeth following a 14-all draw with Scotland at Cairns's Barlow Park with help from Dragons duo Tim Lafai and Leeson Ah Mau.

In other week three results, former Dragon Russell Packer was on the receiving end of one of the biggest international upsets in history following Tonga's 28-22 win over New Zealand in Hamilton.

Tonga will now face Lebanon in the quarters while New Zealand will look to bounce back against Fiji.

2017 Rugby League World Cup week three results:

Fiji 38 (Suliasi Vunivalu 3, Kevin Naiqama, Henry Raiwalui, Brayden Wiliame, Marcelo Montoya tries; Api Koroisau 3, Taane Milne 2 goals) defeated Italy 10 (Josh Mantellato, Nathan Milone tries; Josh Mantellato goal) at Canberra Stadium. Half-time: Bati 12-4.

Tonga 28 (David Fusitu'a 3, Tuimoala Lolohea, Will Hopoate tries; Sio Siua Taukeiaho 3, Tuimoala Lolohea 1 goal(s)) defeated New Zealand 22 (Roger Tuivasa-Sheck 2, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, Jordan Rapana tries; Shaun Johnson 3 goals) at Waikato Stadium. Half-time: Kiwis 16-2.

Samoa 14 (Junior Paulo, Matthew Wright, Young Tonumaipea tries; Matthew Wright 1 goals) drew with Scotland 14 (Lewis Tierney, Frankie Mariano tries; Danny Addy 3 goals) at Barlow Park, Cairns. Half-time: Scotland 14-6.

Australia 34 (Cameron Munster 2, James Maloney, Boyd Cordner, Dane Gagai, Tom Trbojevic tries; James Maloney 4, Cameron Smith 1 goal(s)) defeated Lebanon 0 at Sydney Football Stadium. Half time: Australia 10-0.

Papua New Guinea 64 (Justin Olam 3, Lachlan Lam 2, James Segeyaro, Rod Griffin, Stargroth Amean, David Mead, Watson Boas, Nene Macdonald tries; Rhyse Martin 10 goals) defeated United States of America 0 at Oil Search National Football Stadium, Port Moresby. Half-time: PNG 34-0.

Ireland 34 (Oliver Roberts 2, Api Pewhairangi, Joe Philbin, Liam Finn, Liam Kay tries; Liam Finn 5 goals) defeated Wales 6 (Ben Morris try; Courtney Davies goal) at Perth Rectangular Stadium. Half-time: Ireland 22-0.

England 36 (Jermaine McGillvary 2, Gareth Widdop, Stefan Ratchford, James Graham, Mark Percival, John Bateman tries; Gareth Widdop 4 goals) defeated France 6 (Benjamin Garcia try; Lucas Albert goal) at Perth Rectangular Stadium. Half-time: England 26-6.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/11/13/dragons_rlwc_wrap_we.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Mudgee Faithful, Charity Shield on sale this week
Tue 14th November, 11:00AM
A A

1510618210951.jpg;pv644e62f3b8708f79

St George Illawarra's newly-introduced Mudgee Faithful membership package and tickets to the 2018 Charity Shield will be on sale this week.

The Dragons' Mudgee Faithful membership has been developed to give the fans in the Mudgee region an extra special offer when the Dragons come to town.

Valued at $124, the adult Mudgee Faithful membership is only $99 and includes access to both Dragons matches scheduled for Glen Willow Regional Sporting Complex in 2018.

Those games are the Charity Shield v Rabbitohs (Saturday, February 24) and Round 11 v Raiders (Sunday, May 20).

The Mudgee Faithful membership will also include:

• Red V member pack: including members' choice item (cap or beanie), keyring, car sticker and lanyard.
  • Additional member items: wall flag and can cooler.
  • All core Red V benefits: exclusive member discounts on tickets and merchandise, access to players, Red V Rewards and more.
  • Access to purchase flexible tickets throughout the season through the members portal at a discounted rate
  • Entry to exclusive Red V Members 'Meet your Team' functions held when the Dragons play in regional areas
  • Merchandise discount
Tickets to the 2018 Charity Shield will also go on sale to Red V Members on Wednesday, November 15 at 11am and to general public on Friday, November 17 at 11am.

If you would like to become a Red V Member visit www.marchwithus.com.au for details on how to belong, connect and commit in 2018.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/11/14/mudgee_faithful_char.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Lafai named on wing for RLWC quarters
Tue 14th November, 06:00PM
A A

1510700065272.jpg;pvb9f5b2702c9f803b

St George Illawarra and Samoan representative Tim Lafai has been named on the wing ahead of his nation's crucial quarters clash against Australia.

Leeson Ah Mau was also named for Toa Samoa at lock, with him sure to contend with Tyson Frizell who returns for the Kangaroos on the bench after he was rested against Lebanon last weekend.

2018 recruit Ben Hunt – who topped the tackle count for Australia against the Cedars – has been named in the reserves for the Kangaroos and still may play at Darwin Stadium on Friday night.

Dragons Under-20s utility Joe Lovodua will return for Fiji from the interchange when the Bati face New Zealand in Wellington on Saturday night. Lovodua was rested for Fiji's last start victory over Italy.

Jason Nightingale may yet oppose Lovodua after being named in the reserves for the Kiwis.

Dragons skipper Gareth Widdop has retained his place at fullback for England ahead of their clash against Papua New Guinea in Melbourne on Sunday afternoon.

Widdop – who was Man of the Match for England in their last start victory over France – will be joined once again by 2018 Dragon James Graham in the side.

England will face the undefeated Kumuls which will include Dragon Nene Macdonald in the centres.

The other quarter-finals clash will see Lebanon take on Tonga at Christchurch Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/11/14/lafai_named_on_wing_.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Apps to be managed through World Cup
Wed 15th November, 02:00PM
A A

The abbreviated schedule and ongoing management of the leg she broke at the Downer NRL Auckland Nines earlier this year will see Jillaroos star and St George Illawarra Ambassador Kezie Apps used sparingly until the Women's Rugby League World Cup finals.

The Jillaroos open their World Cup defence against the Cook Islands as part of the triple-header at Southern Cross Group Stadium on Thursday afternoon and play all three pool games in the space of just seven days.

The 2016 Dally M Female Player of the Year broke her leg during the three-game series against the Kiwi Ferns at the Auckland Nines, but after missing the All Stars game and the May Test in Canberra returned in time to lead New South Wales to a second-straight win over Queensland in the Interstate Challenge.

Still troubled by the plate and screws that were inserted into her left leg, Apps was adamant that she could get through the heavy workload, but Jillaroos coaching and medical staff have put in place a plan to ensure she is at her blockbusting best when it matters most.

Apps will come off the bench in the tournament opener against the Cook Islands on Thursday, start against the strong England team on Sunday and then all going well will rest up for the final pool game against Canada next Wednesday.

"Given the amount of games we have to play in such a short timeframe we're going to have to manage basically every player," Jillaroos coach Brad Donald told NRL.com.

"By game two every player will have played because even if everything falls the way we want it to fall and there are no injuries, there are three players who will have had to participate in all three matches."

As she prepared to begin her first World Cup campaign Apps admitted that the thought of missing the World Cup was a driving force in her injury rehabilitation and that she was surprised how well her leg had withstood the recent four-week training block all the Jillaroos players were required to complete.

"I've been trying to do all the right things for it so I can be at my best," Apps said.

"My leg's feeling really good. Especially with four weeks of training and the running load, I thought it would pull up really sore but it's been really good.

"I've never had a major injury before so when I did break my leg obviously the Anzac Test, Origin, All Stars, all that was in my mind, especially World Cup at the end of the year.

"I worked really hard to be fit for Origin and that's something that I did so I knew at that stage that I could definitely be a lot fitter and a lot stronger by World Cup.

"Rugby league was such a big part of my life for that three years prior to that and for that to be taken away from me was really hard.

"Being on the sidelines, especially for the Anzac Test and not being out there helping my best mates try and win that game – even though I had no doubt they would be able to do it – but not being out there and helping them was really tough."

With the increased depth now at Donald's disposal, he praised the dedication shown by Apps to get back on the field as quickly as possible and said her determination and commitment has now fed through the entire squad.

"She is one of the greatest players running around at the moment and she moved herself from Bega to Wollongong so she could train and have access to everything she needed so she could make the World Cup squad," said Donald.

"We brought all the girls in for a camp prior to the May Test because it was another touch point for the World Cup and even though she was injured we just wanted Kezie to stay motivated and stay a part of it.

"Our initial thought was to bring her in for the first part of that camp and then she basically asked if she could drive herself up for the Canberra game and because she'd done so much for the team around the camp we basically had her on as part of the staff.

"The girls really enjoy having her around and that selflessness she brings into the team is something that a lot of the girls possess which is a great quality to have in the squad."

This is article originally appeared on NRL.com

Jillaroos' 19-woman squad to face Cook Islands:

1. Nakia Davis-Welsh
  2. Karina Brown
  3. Annette Brander
  4. Isabelle Kelly
  5. Meg Ward
  6. Ali Brigginshaw
  7. Caitlin Moran
  8. Steph Hancock (c)
  9. Brittany Breayley
  10. Rebecca Young