What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Spot On

Coach
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...p/news-story/cee81a49ec91484cf282525120f5be9d

RLPA boss Ian Prendergast says the 95 per cent salary cap rule was introduced to ensure players across the game received their fair share of revenue.

“We actually wanted 100 per cent but agreed to 95,” he said.

On the Knights situation, he said: “They’d want to start getting some players on board to fill the gap. They should be able to get some good talent in there.

Stupid rule pushed by the RLPA.

How about we just throw the recruiting out the window and buy any dud and give him a motza so the precious playing group soak all the revenue up because they deserve it.

Is Prendergast for real?

FFS.

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...p/news-story/cee81a49ec91484cf282525120f5be9d

RLPA boss Ian Prendergast says the 95 per cent salary cap rule was introduced to ensure players across the game received their fair share of revenue.

“We actually wanted 100 per cent but agreed to 95,” he said.

On the Knights situation, he said: “They’d want to start getting some players on board to fill the gap. They should be able to get some good talent in there.

Stupid rule pushed by the RLPA.

How about we just throw the recruiting out the window and buy any dud and give him a motza so the precious playing group soak all the revenue up because they deserve it.

Is Prendergast for real?

FFS.
This sort of works out for us well though, we can front load some contracts, then next year we just go on an absolute spending spree.

In this current situation, we should have no problem with the cap for many years to come.

Spot On

Coach
This sort of works out for us well though, we can front load some contracts, then next year we just go on an absolute spending spree.

In this current situation, we should have no problem with the cap for many years to come.

Maybe. But say we miss out on marquees again for what ever reason/s we will be forced to just 'spend' money on players that Brown potentially never wanted to appease the effing RLPA.

Unlikely to happen that way you would hope but I find being 'forced to spend up' a ridiculous rule. Club and coach want a balanced roster before giving money to players they may never have been too keen on.

Maybe front loading is the go?

Last edited:

Bartwah

Juniors
Brown has done a ridiculous job. He’s cut all the deadwood, inherited a salary cap that was overspent, got it down to a point where we have 1.5mill to spend, meanwhile keeping the good local talent and signing some of the best prospects in the NRL at the moment. Sure we haven’t landed any Marquee signings, but bloody hell, we’re on the right track! What a time to be a knights fan!

Still Nutty

Juniors
Apparently Naden hasn't been picked up by the Raiders (was a back fill for them, running around for Mounties last year) so it seems we are certainly giving him a chance to get his head right and show us what he can do.

For a young bloke about to turn 22, he's got some size ( old data states 189cm and 92kg) and ability from all reports...if Brownie and the coaching staff can get his head screwed on right, he might be a cheap dark horse with something to prove, that gives us some good depth in the centres, along side Moga

PhilGould

Bench
He definitely has the ability to be a first grader. Just hope he realises these opportunities won't keep coming.

Burwood

Bench
I think front-ended contracts have a huge potential to backfire in the NRL. Just look at how many players fail to see out their contract these days.

Imagine forking out an extra $200,000 on a player in the first year of their contract just to spend salary cap space, and then have them leave with a year or two still to run on their contract when they are getting paid below market value.

Elephant Hunter

Juniors
I think front-ended contracts have a huge potential to backfire in the NRL. Just look at how many players fail to see out their contract these days.

Imagine forking out an extra $200,000 on a player in the first year of their contract just to spend salary cap space, and then have them leave with a year or two still to run on their contract when they are getting paid below market value.

You're right but if there are no players available to pay our money to and we have to make our 95% of cap what else could/would we do?

I imagine given that Brown, Mooney and Wests group are not stupid they will hold off any front loading or additional payments until midnight the 29th June and then pay it through just to be cap compliant and hope that it works out okay.

The other risk mitigation is to spread the 1.5 - 2 mil across all 30 players in the cap ($67,000 - $150,000 ) to each squad member and then if one does leave you only loose a small amount of that advantage

perverse

Referee
Unless we front-load the majority of the squad, we won't be able to make up the difference with that alone. There's a limit to how much you can back and/or front load any given contract. We need more troops.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I wouldn't worry too much about it at this stage because we only have to be compliant by 30 June and I'm sure we'll sign more players between now and then for our 2018 squad.

macavity

Referee
Can imagine us front loading contracts, last year or two (when they are on the lower rate) the manager gets in their ear and says I can get you a few hundred grand extra to leave, you are being paid below market value...

Nek Minnit local junior is homesick and misses his third cousin twice removed in Brisbane...

If there is a club it will backfire on it’s us.

Spot On

Coach
Yes, I don't like it at all the more I think about

Incredible to think Brown has done all the hard work clearing the cap of bad investments to get us to where we are now and all of a sudden a deal done by the NRL ( the mob who didn't want him spending for the last 2 years) and the RLPA could in fact force him to piss away the money he has sitting on the sidelines on what he may deem poor investments because they are now making him spend. Spend in a way he may not think is best for his team and club mind you.

FFS, rugby league hey.

Dumb and dumber.

We need Mick Hagan and his cheque book back.

Last edited:

Pedge1971

First Grade
Yes, I don't like it at all the more I think about

Incredible to think Brown has done all the hard work clearing the cap of bad investments to get us to where we are now and all of a sudden a deal done by the NRL ( the mob who didn't want him spending for the last 2 years) and the RLPA could in fact force him to piss away the money he has sitting on the sidelines on what he may deem poor investments because they are now making him spend. Spend in a way he may not think is best for his team and club mind you.

FFS, rugby league hey.

Dumb and dumber.

We need Mick Hagan and his cheque book back.

Agreed. What happened to spend within your means and dont go bankrupt because we cannot bail you out. Weak merkins.

Furthermore with the TPAs of other clubs the players are getting their fair dues anyway.

Out of interest, when was this cap rule formally communicated?

Suddenly teams like the Dogs who were cap f**ked a month ago have shed Graham, gained Foran and Woods and are f**king fine and the pressure is on teams who have managed down their cap?

FMD it cannot get anymore blatant at the NRL.....

Latest posts