What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Pedge1971

First Grade
Can imagine us front loading contracts, last year or two (when they are on the lower rate) the manager gets in their ear and says I can get you a few hundred grand extra to leave, you are being paid below market value...

Nek Minnit local junior is homesick and misses his third cousin twice removed in Brisbane...

If there is a club it will backfire on it’s us.

Just before the June deadline (after any signings), pay the top performers a bonus for this year only based on performance to get to the 95% as well as upgrade any talent needed fwd looking.

Communicate the plan now and watch these blokes rip in.

We have 600k coming off the cap with Hodko alone in 2019. Dont front load, make it clear there is a war chest for 2018 only and it is up to them to deliver this year.

Then make the right decisions for 2019 when the season is done but stick to the plan. This has to be seen as a 2018 only anomoly.....

slotmachine

First Grade
Non-issue.

Cap space doesn't win football games so not much point underspending in perpetuity.

If they strike out in the great marquee hunt for 2018 have another crack in 2019. Godfather offer combined with us no longer being a complete embarrassment will net someone.

slotmachine

First Grade
It's sort of interesting where the cap should be spent now. Obviously after a half. Need a centre. They have a lot of young guys with potential to be good. Do you take the punt on them or go with a known quantity?

I guess as no one wants to take the cash it's probably a case of if an origin player is willing to come, it doesn't really matter what position they play.

Still Nutty

Juniors
Surely there is some player playing the RLWC who can be signed?

I think it will be interesting to see what does transpire post the RLWC in signings.

It does provide some relatively lesser knowns an opportunity to increase their profile by being able to demonstrate capability - the potential to step up to another level in these higher pressure games where they are competing with and against better quality players.

That potential has to be tempered with an assessment of their capacity - an ability to develop and sustain a higher standard in the weekly grind of the NRL.

I do anticipate there might be a few rough diamonds uncovered that clubs might want to take a punt on and I'd expect Mooney, Brown and the Knights scouts would be looking.

Maybe this could be picked up in the RLWC watch thread but has anybody seen anything in the second string country squads that piqued your interest?

Still Nutty

Juniors
Apparently Naden hasn't been picked up by the Raiders (was a back fill for them, running around for Mounties last year) so it seems we are certainly giving him a chance to get his head right and show us what he can do.

For a young bloke about to turn 22, he's got some size ( old data states 189cm and 92kg) and ability from all reports...if Brownie and the coaching staff can get his head screwed on right, he might be a cheap dark horse with something to prove, that gives us some good depth in the centres, along side Moga

Confirmed Naden signed for 1 year

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/acadb6436fec911995b463322c93401a

Still Nutty

Juniors
Yes, I don't like it at all the more I think about

Incredible to think Brown has done all the hard work clearing the cap of bad investments to get us to where we are now and all of a sudden a deal done by the NRL ( the mob who didn't want him spending for the last 2 years) and the RLPA could in fact force him to piss away the money he has sitting on the sidelines on what he may deem poor investments because they are now making him spend. Spend in a way he may not think is best for his team and club mind you.

FFS, rugby league hey.

Dumb and dumber.

We need Mick Hagan and his cheque book back.

Matty Johns has gone into bat for us....

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/cb7ef8e5b311f42c47a70bdcccddf3c9

Spot On

Coach
Non-issue.

Cap space doesn't win football games so not much point underspending in perpetuity.

If they strike out in the great marquee hunt for 2018 have another crack in 2019. Godfather offer combined with us no longer being a complete embarrassment will net someone.

It is a huge issue if the coach can't find the player/s HE wants and has to piss money away due to the stupid rule they now have to abide to.

Burwood

Bench
Has the penalty for not spending 95% of the salary cap actually been revealed? Say if we were to fall $500,000 short, it’s realistic that we might just cop a $50,000 fine, half of which is suspended. No different to when a club goes over the second tier salary cap because of injuries etc.

Not even the NRL can be stupid enough to dock a club points for being under the cap.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
It is a huge issue if the coach can't find the player/s HE wants and has to piss money away due to the stupid rule they now have to abide to.

If we're forced to bump up our current contracts to fit this stupid rule then that would mean we'd have less money available for a marquee if one was to become available which would is the whole point of why we freed up all that money in the first place.

If that happens then I would argue that the Knights have a fair claim to make that the NRL is affecting their profitability. The signing of an elite player or two would greatly help our crowd figures as well as sponsorship opportunities, merchandise sales etc. so if the NRL was to force us to spend money that we don't need to and that prevents us from luring a couple of marquees down the track then I honestly think club management needs to take them to court over it. It's a BS rule that doesn't take into account our current circumstances and not only that but it would actually worsen the product that the NRL are trying to sell in the first place.

Elephant Hunter

Juniors
If we're forced to bump up our current contracts to fit this stupid rule then that would mean we'd have less money available for a marquee if one was to become available which would is the whole point of why we freed up all that money in the first place

We do not need to spend the 95% before June 30 2018. At that point you can no longer sign any more players for 2018 season.

So if we need to front load (not increase the total value of the contract for each player just pay them earlier than required in the contract) it will NOT effect the opportunity to sign players.

Elephant Hunter

Juniors
If that happens then I would argue that the Knights have a fair claim to make that the NRL is affecting their profitability.

NRL is paying 130% of the cap to each and every club and the agreement on this and the new player agreement is each club will spend the 95% so the NRL is doing more than their fair share to make clubs profitable. I am sure if the Knights want to hand back the $12.2M the NRL is giving them the NRL will let them spend less than the cap.

I just don't see Wests giving away 12M.

The rules are the rules we just need to work inside them and get on with it which to the Knights credit is what they are doing

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Should chase Curtis Rona, not sure what his contract status is with the Western Force being removed from Super Rugby

Rona would be a good buy but given he's played for the wallabies now it's expected that he'll stay in rugby. He'll probably get picked up by another super rugby team somewhere.

Latest posts