What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WE HAVE NO SPEED

Crush

Coach
Why should he be allowed to retire on his own terms.
Either he can do his job or not...
This footy team is not a retirement centre...
In his day he did his job played for his country& won a premiership.
But please do us a favour & retire NOW...
You want nighty gone. OK. I can accept that.
Then you say in your next post that we should move Widdop to fullback, Field to 5/8 and Dufty to wing! o_O
And with that comment goes all respect.
Welcome to the forum BTW.

_Johnsy

Referee
I managed 130km at 2500 rpm overtaking a truck in a 110 zone with a decent amount left to give. Does that count? I'll happily take a wing spot.

Saintsified

Bench
Why?

Because Nightingale is still a first grade standard player, in my opinion.
Exactly, i dont have an issue if Nighty is dropped, however if he proves to be one of the best we have then he should be picked. Anyway i agree with you, he is still of NRL standard.

ouryear

Juniors
Why?

Because Nightingale is still a first grade standard player, in my opinion.

In some respects he is still first grade standard and more.

GREAT UNDER THE HIGH BALL.
GREAT HEAD ON DEFENSE
SMALL ERROR RATE
RUNS THE BALL WITH GUSTO

However, a winger just has to be speedy, score amazing tries, chase down opposition players.

Sadly, these basics should have seen the club pull the pin on nighty....nicely.

The fact they didn't proves to me they are happy with finishing 9th to 12th.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Well, at least we’ve found next year’s scapegoat..

It’s all nightingale’s fault..

Btw, wasn’t he our leading try scorer this year?

BBTB

Juniors
Nighty has been a great player for the team over a long period of time. In the modern game he just can’t compete to the level of most wingers.
Sad to say that he needs to stand aside and give a younger faster winger a chance. I would hope this happens before round 20.
Yeah I hope it's before round 1..

ouryear

Juniors

He was....good ole nighty.

But geeze....seeing the speed and swerve of wingers like Val and others makes me wish for much.more

BBTB

Juniors

The tries he scored from 5 mts out (on Widdops favourite attacking side). could have been scored by my 5y old grandson.
The point is the amount of tries he boomed from being to fu#cling slow.Plus the times he was made look like a fool in defence,other wingers just run around him.
Then you have those ridiculous runs taking the ball up....you know the runs i mean. He's taking the ball up trying to run us out of trouble,through the forwards,he get rag- dolled, picked up dragged back past the point he started from.
He was a great winger in 2010.
Now he's but a shadow of his former self & he's embarrassing himself..
I wanted to remember him for all the good moments.
The thing is "NOW "is the time to hang'm up..

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Well the thing is every person on this Forum has & is allowed to have their opinion.
That's what a Forum is.Keep'm coming ..
Exactly..

And we all know opinions are like arseholes - other people’s ones can leave a bad taste in your mouth..

BBTB

Juniors
You want nighty gone. OK. I can accept that.
Then you say in your next post that we should move Widdop to fullback, Field to 5/8 and Dufty to wing! o_O
And with that comment goes all respect.
Welcome to the forum BTW.
Well for starters,that's what trials are for...to try new combination...or would it be better to just do the same as last year & expect a different result.
By the way I've been here for quite a while under the name QDF.....Just got a new handle
"Bring Back The Buff".. but thanks for the Welcome...

Crush

Coach
Well for starters,that's what trials are for...to try new combination...or would it be better to just do the same as last year & expect a different result.
By the way I've been here for quite a while under the name QDF.....Just got a new handle
"Bring Back The Buff".. but thanks for the Welcome...
In the trials we will be working on new combinations. Widdop 6 Hunt 7.

BBTB

Juniors
In the trials we will be working on new combinations. Widdop 6 Hunt 7.
Yeah that's all Good,
But for mine Widdop runs far too sideways...he tends to leave his outside backs with no room to move...
It's not just me that thinks this is so...a bloke called Bennett thinks the same.

Crush

Coach
Yeah that's all Good,
But for mine Widdop runs far too sideways...he tends to leave his outside backs with no room to move...
It's not just me that thinks this is so...a bloke called Bennett thinks the same.
I am no fan of widdop. But I think we are all hoping with a proper halfback now in the team it will free him up to run more and play more direct. I actually think Widdop will have a blinder at 6 in 2018. When he runs at the line he is dangerous. Add dufty sweeping into the line and we could be potent.

BBTB

Juniors
I am no fan of widdop. But I think we are all hoping with a proper halfback now in the team it will free him up to run more and play more direct. I actually think Widdop will have a blinder at 6 in 2018. When he runs at the line he is dangerous. Add dufty sweeping into the line and we could be potent.
Yes, we live in hope..May be he will run straight... but I doubt it.
The lateral running is a habit..
That's why Bennett shuffled him to fullback for the pommies,& the first game he won "man of match".

dragonssamy61

First Grade
From what I can gather we want speed so we can score more long-distance tries? When I think long distance tries they aren't coming from the wings they come from a break down the middle of the field. Dufty has the pace and the support play to be there and provide this speed.

My only concern in the backs is that we have too many centres and not enough wingers. Nightingale is our only genuine winger. Lafai, Aitken, Macdonald and Mann are all NRL quality but none can successfully transition to winger. Macdonald has been put there for his height advantage but he is much more potent in the centres.

Hopefully, Nene can better adapt to his role as winger with Widdop and Hunt pulling the strings next season.

Well said.
And welcome to the forum

dragonssamy61

First Grade
So, is Nighty 2 out of 3 these days?

He is certainly good, he isn't fast, and I'm not sure he is that cheap...

Are you buying?

Nighty dose not cost much out of the salary cap.
As he has long term player exception that is for any player that is with the same team for more than 8 seasons.
Als jdb as well

BBTB

Juniors
From what I can gather we want speed so we can score more long-distance tries? When I think long distance tries they aren't coming from the wings they come from a break down the middle of the field. Dufty has the pace and the support play to be there and provide this speed.

My only concern in the backs is that we have too many centres and not enough wingers. Nightingale is our only genuine winger. Lafai, Aitken, Macdonald and Mann are all NRL quality but none can successfully transition to winger. Macdonald has been put there for his height advantage but he is much more potent in the centres.

Hopefully, Nene can better adapt to his role as winger with Widdop and Hunt pulling the strings next season.
Well if McGregor let Nene play winger & not as an extra forward
We might get the winger we want.
Hunt will be going to the right & it's booms away into the corner.
That's why we made the Nene acquisition to take those bombs in the corner. But alas McGregor
In all his wisdom used him as a battering ram (extra forward).

slippery5

Juniors
Yes you are right, fast does not mean good.

Was it martin offiah the sprint champion who failed.. as did the Aussie speed king when he gave footy a go?
Can't remember his name....

But when i say let's get some real speedy backs, part of the selection process will be... Must be very good and speedy!

Same as big forwards... Big isn't good, Big and good... Is good. :blush:
Are you referring to Darren Clark 400m Olympian who had a run at Balmain under Allan Jones & was a complete failure, up there with Jeff Fenech.