What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exsilium

First Grade
Looking that way. Peach will probably want out as well.

Carty probably needs a change

When we signed Peach I figured he'd get the odd opportunity and eventually Carty would take the spot.

Carty should forget this year entirely. I saw him at the shops with a lady friend and she was visibly pregnant so maybe he will settle down and want to secure his future. A big year will do that.

EDIT: Thats assuming thats his partner....

Paul Kent has an article about our halves, and possibly losing Cleary, can anyone post it? (It’s probably just the usual BS, but wouldn’t mind a read)

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Paul Kent has an article about our halves, and possibly losing Cleary, can anyone post it? (It’s probably just the usual BS, but wouldn’t mind a read)

Key extract:

Moylan is 26 and Martin is 22. Yet they are gone. James Maloney was bought to replace Moylan and he is 31. It makes for an odd future if you are planning for long-term success.

It leaves Cleary as the future of the club and yet we saw him exposed in the playoffs this year when he was left with no Plan B in the game plan when Brisbane refused to surrender their tryline.

At the time, Moylan was stood down because he had “personal” issues.

“Personal issues”, or words to that effect, are a euphemism for mental-welfare issues, which we also know are phrases increasingly being used by clubs and players to discourage further examination.

Don’t ask, don’t pry, you just might tip our guy over the edge. It’s a Get Out Of Jail Free card for clubs with internal trouble.

Moylan has told friends his reasons for wanting out were nothing more than he could not stand Anthony Griffin any longer.

He was offended at the insinuation he had mental-health issues and now he has landed at Cronulla after he stuck solid on his refusal to work with coach Griffin, who Gould appointed to replace Cleary without interviewing anybody else.

Martin was let go because Griffin believed he was too small and not tough enough to play in the NRL.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
PENRITH’S famous five-year plan, about to enter its seventh season, must not include halves.

This season the Panthers have released Te Maire Martin, once considered one of the bright ones.

They also released Matt Moylan. He left for Cronulla just a year after the club signed him to a five-year deal and regarded him as the cornerstone of their future.

And Nathan Cleary might be the next to go.

This week Cleary’s father, Wests Tigers coach Ivan Cleary, told NRL.com plans are back on the table for father and son to work together.

“Basically we’re both coming to the opinion that we’d like to play together. It’s just a question of timing really,” Ivan Cleary said.

“He’s still got two years to go at the Panthers and I think that’s good for him. He’s not in a hurry to decide that, but we both realise that this situation is a pretty unique opportunity.

“I was always conscious of never wanting to put him in a position that compromises him being up front.

“But the further (his career) is going I’m getting more confident it won’t be a problem. But we’re not thinking about it too much right now. Probably in 12 months time it will be more relevant.”

Like everything in rugby league, the interest is more what Cleary can’t say than what he did.

Nathan Cleary is contracted until the end of 2019 and unable to negotiate with rival clubs until November 1 next year. Then he begins the final season of his contract.

Ivan, as the Tigers coach, is unable to talk to his own son about his future.

But Nathan still lives at home with mum and dad and that doesn’t stop father and son from talking generally about football and what that might include.

Not that Ivan will be the only coach interested in Nathan when he is available. It probably hasn’t escaped the Roosters’ notice that Nathan comes of contract on the first day their latest investment, Cooper Cronk, walks into retirement.

Whether they like it or not the Panthers are already in a battle to retain Cleary. And they might be losing it.

You wonder what is going on at the Panthers.

Phil Gould, the general manager of football, has absolute authority at the club. He continually gets lacerated for his “five-year plan” to win a premiership even though he actually said it would take “half a decade” to get the salary cap in order which, most presumed, also meant it would have them in premiership contention.

It was welcoming news at the time. Finally the club was going to prepare for long-term success.

Yet in that time Gould has sacked Ivan Cleary because he took a look at him at a press conference after Penrith played Parramatta in Darwin and decided he looked “tired”. The Penrith board did not know Cleary was sacked until they read about it.

Being sleepy was a new one when it came to sacking coaches. Most clubs would have tossed in some spending money and sent the coach on a holiday and told him not to come back until the new year.

Gould and Cleary were already butting heads, though. Cleary wanted to release Jamie Soward and James Segeyaro but Gould denied him. Gould then released them the following season, after he sacked Cleary.

Cleary wanted to keep Api Koroisau but Gould released him. There were a number of disagreements about roster management.

Gould had always stated that his intention was to get the club in such a place it would make his job redundant.

It just might have been.

There was tension between them and Gould won.

Still, the club trusted Gould’s decision because he was building towards something. Successful clubs plan for the long term. It’s hard to see how that still exists.

Moylan is 26 and Martin is 22. Yet they are gone. James Maloney was bought to replace Moylan and he is 31. It makes for an odd future if you are planning for long-term success.

It leaves Cleary as the future of the club and yet we saw him exposed in the playoffs this year when he was left with no Plan B in the game plan when Brisbane refused to surrender their tryline.

“Personal issues”, or words to that effect, are a euphemism for mental-welfare issues, which we also know are phrases increasingly being used by clubs and players to discourage further examination.

Don’t ask, don’t pry, you just might tip our guy over the edge. It’s a Get Out Of Jail Free card for clubs with internal trouble.

Moylan has told friends his reasons for wanting out were nothing more than he could not stand Anthony Griffin any longer.

He was offended at the insinuation he had mental-health issues and now he has landed at Cronulla after he stuck solid on his refusal to work with coach Griffin, who Gould appointed to replace Cleary without interviewing anybody else.

Martin was let go because Griffin believed he was too small and not tough enough to play in the NRL.

He went to North Queensland and slipped in immediately. He was a solid performer in the Cowboys’ unlikely drive to a grand final appearance and on Saturday will run out as the starting five-eighth in New Zealand’s World Cup quarter-final against Fiji.

Individually, all these decisions and actions can be justified.

Collectively, it begins to look a little shaky.

Salary cap management is a da Vinci notebook, a mix of science and art. Everybody wins and loses, the trick being to win more than you lose.

It’s hard to see the Panthers are moving forward here, or whether they have been for some time..

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Good news on Edwards. Though it would be typical Panthers to have to lose someone else to incorporate Maloney in a supposed "swap".

OldPanther

Coach
PENRITH’S famous five-year plan, about to enter its seventh season, must not include halves.

This season the Panthers have released Te Maire Martin, once considered one of the bright ones.

They also released Matt Moylan. He left for Cronulla just a year after the club signed him to a five-year deal and regarded him as the cornerstone of their future.

And Nathan Cleary might be the next to go.

This week Cleary’s father, Wests Tigers coach Ivan Cleary, told NRL.com plans are back on the table for father and son to work together.

“Basically we’re both coming to the opinion that we’d like to play together. It’s just a question of timing really,” Ivan Cleary said.

“He’s still got two years to go at the Panthers and I think that’s good for him. He’s not in a hurry to decide that, but we both realise that this situation is a pretty unique opportunity.

“I was always conscious of never wanting to put him in a position that compromises him being up front.

“But the further (his career) is going I’m getting more confident it won’t be a problem. But we’re not thinking about it too much right now. Probably in 12 months time it will be more relevant.”

Like everything in rugby league, the interest is more what Cleary can’t say than what he did.

Nathan Cleary is contracted until the end of 2019 and unable to negotiate with rival clubs until November 1 next year. Then he begins the final season of his contract.

Ivan, as the Tigers coach, is unable to talk to his own son about his future.

But Nathan still lives at home with mum and dad and that doesn’t stop father and son from talking generally about football and what that might include.

Not that Ivan will be the only coach interested in Nathan when he is available. It probably hasn’t escaped the Roosters’ notice that Nathan comes of contract on the first day their latest investment, Cooper Cronk, walks into retirement.

Whether they like it or not the Panthers are already in a battle to retain Cleary. And they might be losing it.

You wonder what is going on at the Panthers.

Phil Gould, the general manager of football, has absolute authority at the club. He continually gets lacerated for his “five-year plan” to win a premiership even though he actually said it would take “half a decade” to get the salary cap in order which, most presumed, also meant it would have them in premiership contention.

It was welcoming news at the time. Finally the club was going to prepare for long-term success.

Yet in that time Gould has sacked Ivan Cleary because he took a look at him at a press conference after Penrith played Parramatta in Darwin and decided he looked “tired”. The Penrith board did not know Cleary was sacked until they read about it.

Being sleepy was a new one when it came to sacking coaches. Most clubs would have tossed in some spending money and sent the coach on a holiday and told him not to come back until the new year.

Gould and Cleary were already butting heads, though. Cleary wanted to release Jamie Soward and James Segeyaro but Gould denied him. Gould then released them the following season, after he sacked Cleary.

Cleary wanted to keep Api Koroisau but Gould released him. There were a number of disagreements about roster management.

Gould had always stated that his intention was to get the club in such a place it would make his job redundant.

It just might have been.

There was tension between them and Gould won.

Still, the club trusted Gould’s decision because he was building towards something. Successful clubs plan for the long term. It’s hard to see how that still exists.

He went to North Queensland and slipped in immediately. He was a solid performer in the Cowboys’ unlikely drive to a grand final appearance and on Saturday will run out as the starting five-eighth in New Zealand’s World Cup quarter-final against Fiji.

Individually, all these decisions and actions can be justified.

Collectively, it begins to look a little shaky.

Salary cap management is a da Vinci notebook, a mix of science and art. Everybody wins and loses, the trick being to win more than you lose.

It’s hard to see the Panthers are moving forward here, or whether they have been for some time..

all aboard the Gus and Griffin train. Choo choo.

Not too much there, although I do agree with his point that on the whole the decisions look “shaky”

The strategy just doesn’t look clear, more of a make it up as you go along situation.

But Kent is underselling the experience Maloney can bring us, that’s a vital cog we’re lacking. But it wouldn’t appear it was the strategy in bringing him here.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Not too much there, although I do agree with his point that on the whole the decisions look “shaky”

The strategy just doesn’t look clear, more of a make it up as you go along situation.

But Kent is underselling the experience Maloney can bring us, that’s a vital cog we’re lacking. But it wouldn’t appear it was the strategy in bringing him here.

You don't get rid of two young hookers to replace them with an aging half or two young halves to replace them with... an aging half if you are following any sort of coherent plan.

Blues Riff

Bench
Quality stuff Kent. Starts with a sarcastic "5 year plan" plan barb, which he himself has stated was a myth. Then he proceeds to re-cycle the biased opinions of a vocal minority on a forum, practically word for word. I hope you're getting paid as consultants.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I hope you're getting paid as consultants.
yeah, Gus and the Bronco reject should get millions.

Hurts my feelings that the pennies are in this crap place.

Gus was a good coach, but he is no Lyall Gorman.

Griffin is just a Bronco fail. Gus will sack him, put money on it.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Quality stuff Kent. Starts with a sarcastic "5 year plan" plan barb, which he himself has stated was a myth. Then he proceeds to re-cycle the biased opinions of a vocal minority on a forum, practically word for word. I hope you're getting paid as consultants.

Paranoid much?

Royce is King

Juniors
The question i would love to know the answer too is.... If the Gould /Griffin partnership wins us a comp in the next 3 yrs.... would some people on here see that as a positive?... I honestly dont know if some would even enjoy it.... I mean how could they?

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Likewise, I wonder how some others on here could possibly enjoy it, given how obsessed they are with what others are thinking and saying.

The question i would love to know the answer too is.... If the Gould /Griffin partnership wins us a comp in the next 3 yrs.... would some people on here see that as a positive?... I honestly dont know if some would even enjoy it.... I mean how could they?

I would.

I support the club, not Gould or Griffin.

The club will be here a long time after both of them have gone.

I’ll also eat my hat if Griffin manages to win a premiership, I genuinely don’t believe he has the tactical nous. But I hope like hell im wrong.

OldPanther

Coach

Absolutely.

Status
Not open for further replies.