What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WE HAVE NO SPEED

Saintsified

Bench
The tries he scored from 5 mts out (on Widdops favourite attacking side). could have been scored by my 5y old grandson.
The point is the amount of tries he boomed from being to fu#cling slow.Plus the times he was made look like a fool in defence,other wingers just run around him.
Then you have those ridiculous runs taking the ball up....you know the runs i mean. He's taking the ball up trying to run us out of trouble,through the forwards,he get rag- dolled, picked up dragged back past the point he started from.
He was a great winger in 2010.
Now he's but a shadow of his former self & he's embarrassing himself..
I wanted to remember him for all the good moments.
The thing is "NOW "is the time to hang'm up..
It doesnt matter if your grandson could score them or not, fact remains he didnt, Nightingale did, thats his job to do so, he didnt fail in that department now did he? I accept one can find other areas to be critical of him, but his tries? come on lol

BennyV

Referee
It doesnt matter if your grandson could score them or not, fact remains he didnt, Nightingale did, thats his job to do so, he didnt fail in that department now did he? I accept one can find other areas to be critical of him, but his tries? come on lol
Hard to say - there's no actual stat for tries that went begging due to his lack of speed or lost ability to finish the way the best wingers can.

I can think of a few specifically though...

Crush

Coach
Hard to say - there's no actual stat for tries that went begging due to his lack of speed or lost ability to finish the way the best wingers can.

I can think of a few specifically though...
Give me a break. When Mann top scored the year before we had to listen to everyone talking about how great Mann was and now when nighty top scores people say yeah but how many more could he have scored?
I don't get the criticism of nightingale last year. He had a fantastic season. He was top try scorer and did everything asked of him.
Yes, he isn't a fast runner but he is still a very good winger.

hazzbeen

Bench
Give me a break. When Mann top scored the year before we had to listen to everyone talking about how great Mann was and now when nighty top scores people say yeah but how many more could he have scored?
I don't get the criticism of nightingale last year. He had a fantastic season. He was top try scorer and did everything asked of him.
Agree about Nighty having a good year . Comes back to this for me , how many would Mann have scored if he had been given a full season in one of the wing positions ?

Saintsified

Bench
Agree about Nighty having a good year . Comes back to this for me , how many would Mann have scored if he had been given a full season in one of the wing positions ?
Or how many he wouldn't have scored , fact is Nighty is STILL a quality finisher. It's all hypothetical, reality is Nightingale did his job superbly.

hazzbeen

Bench
Or how many he wouldn't have scored , fact is Nighty is STILL a quality finisher. It's all hypothetical, reality is Nightingale did his job superbly.
Like you say we dont really know , either way Nighty did his job , but father time has caught up to him so it comes back to has he got another season in him or is it better to give a young faster player a chance ?

Crush

Coach
Impossible to say Hazz, maybe more or maybe less.
I know I am in the minority but I think nightingale is still one of our best backs. People compare nighty to the storm wingers and Rapana. OK, he's not in their league. But I want to see a thread comparing Lafai and Aitken some of the gun centers running around. I'd have nighty before both our centers.

hazzbeen

Bench
Impossible to say Hazz, maybe more or maybe less.
I know I am in the minority but I think nightingale is still one of our best backs. People compare nighty to the storm wingers and Rapana. OK, he's not in their league. But I want to see a thread comparing Lafai and Aitken some of the gun centers running around. I'd have nighty before both our centers.
Mate you are right about him he has been good for a long time , and he is better than some in our back line , but what I dont want to see is him struggle and be remembered for the wrong reasons , for playing on 1 to 2 years too long .....

Crush

Coach
Mate you are right about him he has been good for a long time , and he is better than some in our back line , but what I dont want to see is him struggle and be remembered for the wrong reasons , for playing on 1 to 2 years too long .....
He'll be remembered as an absolute champion when he wins the comp next year, raises the trophy and then gets carried around the field on the shoulders of Sims and Thommo as one last lap of honour.
Imagine it!

ouryear

Juniors
Flo maybe slow in leg speed but he's quick between the ears and is a very valuable senior in the leadership group. Rather have him than the other 2 wasted spaces in Lafai and MacDonald.
100% yes, they don't belong on the same field as nighty, great club man and offers a lot within the playing group.

BBTB

Juniors
A fantastic season...u must be joking...
He's washed up....move him on..
And give one of the youngsters a go...or should we just keep giving these" hasbeens" just one more season...because they play for peanuts..

Crush

Coach
A fantastic season...u must be joking...
He's washed up....move him on..
And give one of the youngsters a go...or should we just keep giving these" hasbeens" just one more season...because they play for peanuts..
You have got to be geeing me up?
What do you want from your winger?
I'd love to see how your team would go.
1. Widdop
2. Dufty
6. Field
That would be hilarious!
Nighty is still the best winger at the club IMO. Far from the best winger in the NRL and probably not even in the top 10 but still the best at the club.
Dufty on the wing LOL!

Old Timer

Coach
You have got to be geeing me up?
What do you want from your winger?
I'd love to see how your team would go.
1. Widdop
2. Dufty
6. Field
That would be hilarious!
Nighty is still the best winger at the club IMO. Far from the best winger in the NRL and probably not even in the top 10 but still the best at the club.
Dufty on the wing LOL!
He will always be the best winger at the club if you don't pick someone else other than Nene the Dud to play on the other wing.
Nighty certainly was not better than Mann in 2016.

Crush

Coach
He will always be the best winger at the club if you don't pick someone else other than Nene the Dud to play on the other wing.
Nighty certainly was not better than Mann in 2016.
I remember Mann in 2016. Had an absolute shocker when moved to fullback so much so was dropped (which I don't agree with btw) then came back and showed some solid form on the wing.
Nighty on the other hand when asked to play fullback, safe as houses, didn't drop a ball, always in the right position in defense. Then showed some solid form on the wing by scoring a couple of hatricks.
I'd say nighty had a better season overall.