What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WE HAVE NO SPEED

Old Timer

Coach
I remember Mann in 2016. Had an absolute shocker when moved to fullback so much so was dropped (which I don't agree with btw) then came back and showed some solid form on the wing.
Nighty on the other hand when asked to play fullback, safe as houses, didn't drop a ball, always in the right position in defense. Then showed some solid form on the wing by scoring a couple of hatricks.
I'd say nighty had a better season overall.
Let’s just stick to the subject matter which is about the best winger statement
The FB equation is not part of the discussion.

BennyV

Referee
Give me a break. When Mann top scored the year before we had to listen to everyone talking about how great Mann was and now when nighty top scores people say yeah but how many more could he have scored?
I don't get the criticism of nightingale last year. He had a fantastic season. He was top try scorer and did everything asked of him.
Yes, he isn't a fast runner but he is still a very good winger.
That's exact the point, that number of tries scored doesn't equate to Nighty being our top winger.

Mann topped our try scoring with a strike rate above 1 per game in the worst attacking team we've had in JV history. Looking at the tries, he had to work for many of them with speed and footwork. Flo, on the other hand, was outside one of the comps top offloaders and most in-form 5/8s. Looking at thevtries, more than half of them he scored untouched.

But again, it's not the tries he scored that indicate he should hang it up. It's the opportunities missed. If a winger being run down from behind by Chase Stanley after being put into space isn't indication that said winger isn't quick enough, I don't know what is.

2018 will be a year too long for a club legend, unfortunately.

hazzbeen

Bench
That's exact the point, that number of tries scored doesn't equate to Nighty being our top winger.

Mann topped our try scoring with a strike rate above 1 per game in the worst attacking team we've had in JV history. Looking at the tries, he had to work for many of them with speed and footwork. Flo, on the other hand, was outside one of the comps top offloaders and most in-form 5/8s. Looking at thevtries, more than half of them he scored untouched.

But again, it's not the tries he scored that indicate he should hang it up. It's the opportunities missed. If a winger being run down from behind by Chase Stanley after being put into space isn't indication that said winger isn't quick enough, I don't know what is.

Benny I'm afraid this is it to a tee . We all love Nighty but it time for him to hang up the boots . On Mann he scored tries with minimum game time , with the back line we have he has to be a starter somewhere .......

ouryear

Juniors
Benny I'm afraid this is it to a tee . We all love Nighty but it time for him to hang up the boots . On Mann he scored tries with minimum game time , with the back line we have he has to be a starter somewhere .......
Even the great Billy Smith was dropped to reserve grade at the end of his wonderful career... And he should be an immortal he was so damn good.

That was when we demanded premierships

Old Timer

Coach
Even the great Billy Smith was dropped to reserve grade at the end of his wonderful career... And he should be an immortal he was so damn good.

That was when we demanded premierships
A little bit of trivia about Billy.
He captained the reserve grade side to premiership in 1976.
When he was asked about doing the toss by the referee Smithy confessed he and the opposing skipper had already done so whilst having a beer and hour or so before the game in the back of the Brewongle Stand.
Quite a character and what a great place to have a beer.

Old Timer

Coach
A little bit of trivia about Billy.
He captained the reserve grade side to premiership in 1976.
When he was asked about doing the toss by the referee Smithy confessed he and the opposing skipper had already done so whilst having a beer and hour or so before the game in the back of the Brewongle Stand.
Quite a character and what a great place to have a beer.
Oops meant the Sheridan stand getting late.

BBTB

Juniors
You have got to be geeing me up?
What do you want from your winger?
I'd love to see how your team would go.
1. Widdop
2. Dufty
6. Field
That would be hilarious!
Nighty is still the best winger at the club IMO. Far from the best winger in the NRL and probably not even in the top 10 but still the best at the club.
Dufty on the wing LOL!
What do I want from a winger...
I want a winger that can score a long distance try. Doesn't get rundown from behind..
A winger that has enough speed to chase down a galloping forward.
A winger with enough power to take the ball up through the forwards & make some hard yards.
Wingers must have speed & Nightingale has "none"...
He can catch a high ball,at fullback..but then he has to take the ball back at the line & again without that elusive speed, he go nowhere..He actually gets picked up and driven backwards.
All Nightingale is doing is blocking the pathway of a younger faster player...

BBTB

Juniors
It doesnt matter if your grandson could score them or not, fact remains he didnt, Nightingale did, thats his job to do so, he didnt fail in that department now did he? I accept one can find other areas to be critical of him, but his tries? come on lol
The tries he did score were gift
tries. Basically they could have been scored by any novice.
The point is if a younger faster novice had of been on the wing ,he may have also scored the tries that Nighty bombed,because of lack of speed.

BBTB

Juniors
Nighty dose not cost much out of the salary cap.
As he has long term player exception that is for any player that is with the same team for more than 8 seasons.
Als jdb as well
That's allgood if u want to give him a pensioner pass...
Just keep him out of the 1st grade team .
That's one of the reasons we have had a really bad 7yrs .We keep hanging on to players way past their use by date..

Crush

Coach
What do I want from a winger...
I want a winger that can score a long distance try. Doesn't get rundown from behind..
A winger that has enough speed to chase down a galloping forward.
A winger with enough power to take the ball up through the forwards & make some hard yards.
Wingers must have speed & Nightingale has "none"...
He can catch a high ball,at fullback..but then he has to take the ball back at the line & again without that elusive speed, he go nowhere..He actually gets picked up and driven backwards.
All Nightingale is doing is blocking the pathway of a younger faster player...
Love it. Didnt you ask for Dufty to play wing? Not sure he has all those attributes especially the one about powering through the forwards.
And if you think nighty gets picked up and driven backwards not sure what little Duft would do?

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Love it. Didnt you ask for Dufty to play wing? Not sure he has all those attributes especially the one about powering through the forwards.
And if you think nighty gets picked up and driven backwards not sure what little Duft would do?

You know what crush I think.
We have another reincarnation of vasoneruby. This time its nighty he will pick on

Last edited:

slippery5

Juniors

Incorrect, 2018 will be 2.5 yrs too long, thats when I first mentioned he has done enough.
Enough of me flogging a dead horse on this matter.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Saintsified

Bench
The tries he did score were gift
tries. Basically they could have been scored by any novice.
The point is if a younger faster novice had of been on the wing ,he may have also scored the tries that Nighty bombed,because of lack of speed.
Plenty of wingers out there who are faster and scored less tries than Nighty. Silly theory really

BBTB

Juniors
What Little Dufty will do is grow larger ,He's only a boy & bring that SPEED.... right along with him.... both qualities Nightingale doesn't possess..

possm

Coach
We have speed within our Club. Our young guns have speed and so the sooner they are selected in first grade the better. I'm tipping Lomax to get a run at right centre in the early part of 2018.

I've always wanted Dufty to succeed at fullback but surely the best combination should be selected each week. If for some reason Dufty does not scrub up, yes I would like to see Widdop to fullback and Field to five-eighth This would allow Mann to be selected at left wing, Loxmax to replace Aitken at right centre and one of our quick young outside backs to replace Nightingale on the right wing. A team line up of:
1. Widdop
2. Mann
3. Lomax
4. Lafai
5. Nightingale or a Young Gun
6. Field
7. Hunt
8. Vaughan
9. McInnes
10. Graham
11. Sims - I still believe Thomson will go and Wamsley will be recruited
12. Frizell
13. De Belin

14. Ah Mau
15. Wamsley
16. Host
17. Leilua

Very strong forward pack and speed in the backs with addition of Mann, Lomax, young right winger, Field and Hunt. For mine with the right coach this would be a top 4 side.

Latest posts