What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors to be sold?

Iafeta

Referee
Very disappointing. From a perspective purely of who do I think the club needs the most, it's the ARL. The Warriors over the years have done a great job alienating them. And it looks like we have another encore performance here.

Diesel

Coach
FWIW I think this is just a bump in the road. ARL will back.

From the article above...

The ARL wanted a 55 per cent shareholding in the club, with the rest of the ownership made up of three corporate partners with 15 per cent shareholding each.

"We're very, very disappointed. We spent a lot of time and money in our efforts and, yes we are
very disappointed at this outcome. It wasn't what we were hoping for," McGregor told Radio Sport.

"We've indicated to the Warriors that we're open to negotiate with them at any.

Rich102

Staff member
Memo to the new owners.
Forget buying has-been Kiwis, buy some Tongans and Fijians. Hell, even a Lebenese or two.

One Warrior

Bench
Take this how you want, but this has just been posted on the other site:

Been told the club has sold. The main investor is a real estate agent from the Waikato and the other is said to be former Warriors NSW player Zoram Watene's father. Meant to be an announcement on Wednesday. Take it with a pinch of salt especially after my last tip about the ARL buying it turned sour but my source is very close to the investors. Looks like Watson got his price as well...

The poster was Mt.Wellington.

One Warrior

Bench
The rumor is not true!
Yeah the latest from Mt Wellington is that it is not a done deal yet, his words exactly are:
"Spoke to my mate and he said it wasn't a done deal. Still in talks. Apologies for the false alarm..."

So yes back to waiting again!

Rich102

Staff member
Common sense tells me that with poor on-field results, falling fan numbers and members and presumably a drop off in jersey sales no potential buyer is going to pay Watson's asking price. It will be a fire sale or nothing at this stage.

Plus the last thing the club needs at this stage is uncertainty over the future direction.

There will be a lot of hot-shot tyre kickers but the serious buyers will be waiting for the price to drop; and the nearer Watson gets to court the lower the price will get.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11991982

I get horribly uneasy when groups come in making brash statements, such as this group has made saying we can win a premiership by 2020, should make the finals every year etc.

We've seen it all before with the biggest in the southern hemisphere crap. I get it that you have to sell a vision and a marketing whiz and pop, but yeah....all the stadium experiences and NFL borrowings in the world aren't going to automatically get the right sort of players to come and play for us, nor coaches. And we all know we're f**ked without them, no matter what goes on in the back room.

So yeah, not excited.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
This is getting scary. They're talking about taking games to Vegas, LA, Hawaii and trading games with other NRL clubs to ensure they keep their 10 standard Mt Smart games.

And then there's the "We can find no reason why this won't be successful". Now that's either posturing or a flat out lie. There's always dozens of reasons why something may or may not work. At least he could have said "We realise there will be some significant challenges to overcome" to at least sound realistic about what they're attempting to do.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
American millionaire Richard Fale nearly has a deal across the line to buy the Warriors, could be signed off next week, info from the mole

Latest posts