What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Offsiders

BuffaloRules

Coach
Giving more money to the clubs and players wouldn't help support and grow any of those things execpt crowds (and only to an extent anyway), pumping more and more money into the NRL clubs and NRL players pockets only helps to sustain the status quo....

True, but there will be a minimum of $250M ( probably more) that the NRL has to spend on the game a year for the next 5 years that isn't going to the clubs or players

It's more money than they
should need to improve the areas above but I have no confidence that come 2022 the game will be better off and that the game still won't be broke...

Some people here will still be blaming the clubs though..

T-Boon

Coach
The NRL could find the solution to world hunger and bring a thousand years of peace to the world and most at the ABC (and other media companies) would still treat it like shit and blow smoke up the AFLs arse for no reason other then existing.

The NRL have to be more direct than to do good things and hope the powers that be in the media give them then due respect.
Try to get a rugby league man/woman on the ABC board. Take the ABC board out to dinner every night until they take a restraining order out. Pay to have Cam Smith on the offsiderers, pitch a show to the ABC called "Seagulls fighting for a chip" hosted by Andrew Denton paid for by the NRL where Denton talks RL and denigrates AFL all night. The reason these things dont already happen is because the NRL clubs dont get it.

T-Boon

Coach

Even if it is the NRL it is the clubs. The clubs get the NRL they want. Eg: they have just fired Smith because he wasn't doing what they wanted and they replaced him with someone they own in Greenberg...and more recently they have fired the chairman. The NRL is the NRL clubs bitch.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Even if it is the NRL it is the clubs. The clubs get the NRL they want. Eg: they have just fired Smith because he wasn't doing what they wanted and they replaced him with someone they own in Greenberg...and more recently they have fired the chairman. The NRL is the NRL clubs bitch.

What about the $250 mil a year?

Is that not enough to run the non elite player/club part of the game?

Last edited:

T-Boon

Coach
What about the $250 mil a year?

Is that not enough to run the non elite player/club part of the game?

But would $100m be enough? Or $50mill? Isn't that enough? The code should be able to compete with the AFL on that. Shouldn't it? We should dominate ABC talk with that amount shouldn't we? Any more would be what the clubs call wastage right? There should be heaps left over for Gus to get his pay increase.

The Great Dane

First Grade
True, but there will be a minimum of $250M ( probably more) that the NRL has to spend on the game a year for the next 5 years that isn't going to the clubs or players

should need to improve the areas above but I have no confidence that come 2022 the game will be better off and that the game still won't be broke...

That's fair enough, but I would say that often the clubs do bear some of the blame and that $50mil a year isn't really all that much when you consider how much the NRL is expected to oversee.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors

You need to start using facts. Fact: afl spent $255mil on clubs compared to Nrls $160mil in 2016. Operating expenses afl $174mil and Nrl $140mil. These numbers are a bit rubbery due to the way the each codes annual report is written. Now it seems the afl is just as,if not more wasteful as the Nrl but due to afl having more money that’s ok?

You brought up the $250 mil figure. Now because we haven’t seen the 2017 report you could say that $140mil will be the operating expenses for the Nrl.

Event game and sponsorship $75 mil
Football $20mil
Administration $25mil
Integrity/player welfare/Community $20mil
$140mil.
Those figures for me seem reasonable. You could trim them a bit but what to save $5mil?

You tell us, oh wise one what you will spend the $110mil left on?

Last edited:

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
So no mention of the women's world cup by Offsiders. Kelly Underwood was not on today but she was on The Back Page yesterday and failed to mention it also.

BuffaloRules

Coach
No - you are wrong. As a percentage of AFL revenue their clubs get a lot less. Even when you factor in the amounts the expansion clubs get for the purpose of growth of the game.

Im going to say that in fact you are wrong... ( again...)

here is an article referencing what the AFL clubs get...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...n/news-story/c450f059c9436a8343b81636d0273c52

2016 PAYMENTS TO CLUBS

1. GWS Giants $21,548,374

2. St Kilda $18,566,589

3. Western Bulldogs $17,610,181

4. Brisbane Lions $17,532,922

5. Gold Coast Suns $17,194,594

6. North Melbourne $15,022,303

7. Melbourne $14,799,452

8. Port Adelaide $13,206,665

9. Sydney Swans $12,488,957

10. Richmond $12,358,925

11. Essendon $11,914,715

12. West Coast Eagles $11,703,240

13. Hawthorn $11,614,683

14. Carlton $11,607,942

15. Collingwood $11,304,689

16. Geelong Cats $10,787,483

17. Fremantle Dockers $10,563,307

18. Adelaide Crows $10,553,565

Like I said.. basket case clubs in Melb get plenty of additional money compared to the NRL clubs...
No wonder they never whinge.. they don't have to !!

BuffaloRules

Coach
You need to start using facts. Fact: afl spent $255mil on clubs compared to Nrls $160mil in 2016. Operating expenses afl $174mil and Nrl $140mil. These numbers are a bit rubbery due to the way the each codes annual report is written. Now it seems the afl is just as,if not more wasteful as the Nrl but due to afl having more money that’s ok?

You brought up the $250 mil figure. Now because we haven’t seen the 2017 report you could say that $140mil will be the operating expenses for the Nrl.

Event game and sponsorship $75 mil
Football $20mil
Administration $25mil
Integrity/player welfare/Community $20mil
$140mil.
Those figures for me seem reasonable. You could trim them a bit but what to save $5mil?

You tell us, oh wise one what you will spend the $110mil left on?

I am clearly talking about what is going to happen in the next 5 years.. you are aware that there is more money coming into the game next year from the new TV deal right?

The expected revenue for 2018 is going to be in excess of 450Mil which will provide about $250M for the NRL to spend outside the grants for the NRL clubs and players..

But anyway.. lets look at the $140Mil that you are conceding was spent in 2017...

What return did the NRL and the game as a whole get?

-Lower crowds
-Lower TV ratings
-No expansion
-Lower junior numbers
-Decreasing country/regional teams
-The game having to seek bank loans to avoid cash flow problems...they are already spending next years money before they have it....

Well done.. $140Mil well spent...

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
I am clearly talking about what is going to happen in the next 5 years.. you are aware that there is more money coming into the game next year from the new TV deal right?

The expected revenue for 2018 is going to be in excess of 450Mil which will provide about $250M for the NRL to spend outside the grants for the NRL clubs and players..

But anyway.. lets look at the $140Mil that you are conceding was spent in 2017...

What return did the NRL and the game as a whole get?

-Lower crowds
-Lower TV ratings
-No expansion
-Lower junior numbers
-Decreasing country/regional teams
-The game having to seek bank loans to avoid cash flow problems...they are already spending next years money before they have it....

Well done.. $140Mil well spent...

Maybe you need to re-read my post then. I have used your $250mil figure. Currently the Nrl spends $130-$140mil on football department. I can’t see that really moving up too much. Which leaves $110 mil. Does it not?

You seem to complain a lot but never offer a solution. Now is your chance. Where do you think the left over $110mil should be spent????

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
So no mention of the women's world cup by Offsiders. Kelly Underwood was not on today but she was on The Back Page yesterday and failed to mention it also.

For the life of me I can’t understand how any well known journalist can’t write a article that spells out the complete lack of fairness in sports media. Maybe the players need to start being political and start stating facts. That will get media attention.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Maybe you need to re-read my post then. I have used your $250mil figure. Currently the Nrl spends $130-$140mil on football department. I can’t see that really moving up too much. Which leaves $110 mil. Does it not?

You seem to complain a lot but never offer a solution. Now is your chance. Where do you think the left over $110mil should be spent????

I find it interesting that whenever there are negative comments about the NRL administrators here you are defending away and deflecting without any acknowledgement that there are issues.. I never notice you talking about things like results of games or players switching clubs.. you know things that most posters here are interested in..

It doesnt matter how I think the money should be spent.... Im not an NRL administrator being paid a million a year...

I am interested in seeing positive results though .. you know like the game ( crowds and ratings) growing and expanding.... for the former the opposite is happening and there is no real plan for the latter...

The sad thing is that they may never have this windfall of money again...

A simple question for you that I assume you will avoid...Are you satisfied that the $130-$140M that you mentioned above is being spent wisely by the NRL ? The metrics I have listed don't suggest so,,, never mind that they are also broke...another matter I mentioned but you ignored...

I've got a funny feeling that the extra $110Mil will be spent somehow.... they wont be putting it in the bank...