What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rebel World Cup planned for Pakistan

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
This makes me mad, really quite literally mad, it's like someone stealing off you, a friend family member, a peter thief.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
On a positive note, it really shows how worried World Rugby is about Rugby League getting SportAccord and competition from them in general. This is going to some serious lengths to stop it happening and they would only bother doing this if they figure that a monopoly on the name Rugby is very important to their operations.

Furthermore, for me it totally justifies efforts to fight for the name rugby - it is a valuable thing to maintain and World Rugby are proving this. It would be madness to give it up.

deal.with.it

Juniors
Yes that's right. We can't change names now, even for those that want to on this forum.
We have trade marked and copyrighted RUGBY LEAGUE and it's rules.
Would netball change it's name and remove "ball" to avoid confusion with basketball?

Anyways, everyone needs to go on facebook and twitter and question the following people:
- Sportsfever360
- Pakistan Rugby League
- Pakistan Sports Board
- Ikram Butt
- RLEF
- World Rugby League

Together we can do this

Coparugby

Juniors
Yes that's right. We can't change names now, even for those that want to on this forum.
Would netball change it's name and remove "ball" to avoid confusion with basketball?

Anyways, everyone needs to go on facebook and twitter and question the following people:
- Sportsfever360
- Pakistan Rugby League
- Pakistan Sports Board
- Ikram Butt
- RLEF
- World Rugby League

Together we can do this

I second that.

When dealing with groups that may be unaware clearly reference the Pakistan v Italy matche they were connected to and provide links to the RLIF, footage or links of the current World Cup (esp ones including Italy) stating it is the global governing body and unrelated to the group running the Pakistan event.

That the Italian team they saw wasn’t the real deal etc and be as clear and polite as possible.

And anything else you think of.

Even point out that union and league are different with different histories, governing bodies and relevant links etc

And remain very polite. No wild conspiracies.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
No, only Collier and perhaps some lawyers can do anything at this stage. The above (except RLEF) will not change anything because of Twitter or Facebook.

But it is worth investigating any motives and links the different bodies might have between them. If it is possible to prove World Rugby are funding this for example, that would be pretty damning and worth high-lighting publically.

Coparugby

Juniors
No, only Collier and perhaps some lawyers can do anything at this stage. The above (except RLEF) will not change anything because of Twitter or Facebook.

But it is worth investigating any motives and links the different bodies might have between them. If it is possible to prove World Rugby are funding this for example, that would be pretty damning and worth high-lighting publically.
I think it’s possible that some may have no idea about the issues. They, or any person reading the information, might come away informed.

That sports group that helped show the event and run interviews looks established. There’s a good chance stuff on their accounts is read by Pakistani sports journalists, sponsors, players, broadcasters etc It all helps

deal.with.it

Juniors
I see ppl are posting now.
Ikram butt and the italian ambasador (i think) have come out and supported the italian team. They are not happy with the rlif or the "australian italians"

Coparugby

Juniors
I see ppl are posting now.
Ikram butt and the italian ambasador (i think) have come out and supported the italian team. They are not happy with the rlif or the "australian italians"
That’s the beauty of social media. Word gets out quickly about any “issues”.

I see people are contacting sports bodies, Pakistani government sporting bodies, Italian ambassador ( he’s just doing his job), Pakistani sports journalists etc.

Ikram Butt must be getting ANGRY!

Just remain polite, positive, informative and non-ranting.

Remind them that Pakistan deserves the best teams and highest profile. This can only be achieved through RLIF etc... show links to current WC highlights etc

Last edited:

Coparugby

Juniors
A media article about the match

https://www.dawn.com/news/1371354
”Information Minister Marriyum Aurangzeb, who was the chief guest, described the occasion as an effort to revive international sporting events in the country. She credited the government for bringing peace and covincing the international teams to play in Pakistan.”
Im going to bed but if anyone can find this ministers Twitter account and be very polite to her with an explanation it would be great. Assume she knows nothing about multiple codes, different sports bodies, current World Cup etc etc. some links for everything would be great. No ranting or conspiracies... just politeness only. Start by referring to the match she attended.

Also throw in a Pakistan deserves the best.

Last edited:

StadiumXIII

Juniors
Wonder when this will be sorted? the best outcome for the sport will be for Pakistan to come under the RLIF. I don't know how many of their members are legit it only seems Italy and Greece. I doubt they have RUGBY LEAGUE's best interests at heart instead just sucking up to World Rugby to undermine the sport it's all obvious who it points too.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

“SportsFever360 will not only help Pakistan Rugby League in organizing their events and marketing them but will also work hand in hand with PRL and its team to promote and take the sports to masses of Pakistan with extensive local and international plans for 2018–2020 inside and outside Pakistan.

Sportsfever360 & PRL will be initiating some exciting leagues and events in Pakistan to boost rugby’s profile as a sport in Pakistan.”

https://pakviralpoint.com/2017/11/14/pakistan-to-face-italian-rugby-team-in-islamabad/

Rugby, Rugby, Rugby...

People might be confused and think they are watching Rugby. Those silly people; they should know they are watching 'Rugby'!!!

Should be "...its rules" and "...its name".

Anyway, comparing netball and basketball to RL and RU?! That comparison is way off, nothing like our situation. RU is the original code, they call themselves 'rugby' the vast majority of the time, it's the RWC not the RUWC. The BBC hashtag for RU is #bbcrugby, the BBC hashtag for RL is #bbcrl. It's World Rugby not WRU.

We said in 1922 we would change our name, it's not too late, twitter and facebook have only been around for 10 yrs. We came up with a totally different sport to RU, so therefore have to change our name, it's just stupid machismo to keep the name 'rugby'. The first RL int. was played in Aberdare, could use that, a sport similar to RL was apparently played on the beaches of Pembrokeshire way before 1908, so could call ourselves Pembroke. But not frikin rugby.

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach
Should be "...its rules" and "...its name".

Anyway, comparing netball and basketball to RL and RU?! That comparison is way off, nothing like our situation. RU is the original code, they call themselves rugby vast majority of the time, it's the RWC not the RUWC. The BBC hashtag for RU is #bbcrugby, the BBC hashtag for RL is #bbcrl. It's World Rugby not WRU.

We said in 1922 we would change our name, it's not too late, twitter and facebook have only been around for 10 yrs. We came up with a totally different sport to RU, so therefore have to change our name, it's just stupid machismo to keep the name 'rugby'. The first RL int. was played in Aberdare, could use that, a sport similar to RL was apparently played on the beaches of Pembrokeshire way before 1908 too, could call ourselves Pembroke. But not frikin rugby.

Nahh