What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

|| Primer Latinoamericano Rugby League (NRL) Championships ||

taipan

Referee
This is a momentous occasion. I'm very delighted to see this happen off the back of years of hard work. And well done Latin Heat.

On the topic of names, well to me 'League' is a weak name and only means something to us. We also have a National Basketball League, an Australian Football League and an Australian Baseball League. I even see AFL journalists refer to their competition as "the league".

I'd call the code DYNO ball .Dyno is a rapid move across a rock face to grab a hold.Alternatively DYNAMO league.
Dynamo an extremely energetic person.

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
On the topic of names, well to me 'League' is a weak name and only means something to us. We also have a National Basketball League, an Australian Football League and an Australian Baseball League. I even see AFL journalists refer to their competition as "the league".

This is the utter insanity of our sports name

"Rugby" - same as a more famous and visually similar sport
"League" - generic sporting term used across all sports

How do we expect anyone who isnt already a fan to realize this is a unique sport?!?

Stallion

First Grade
This is the utter insanity of our sports name

"Rugby" - same as a more famous and visually similar sport
"League" - generic sporting term used across all sports

How do we expect anyone who isnt already a fan to realize this is a unique sport?!?

Call it rugbyleague! Simple as that. Those whom want to weaken its presence would gladly see this code fumble about for identity/name.In reality no other football code has copped the barriers as rugby league has endured. The game and name is on the right track. It's clear that something else is not wanting the inevitable progress of rugby league. They are shit scared of it! And I think we can work out which code has a big part in that reality!?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
That's a topic of debate for another thread but in general we've found it helps for Neutrals that having something to point to (i.e NRL/SL) helps them realise the sport we're trying to promote.

Yep and the ARLC even use it throughout Australia. I believe they have a 'Play NRL' program? Not a 'Play Rugby League' program. I am not saying I agree with them on that but it is about branding and having new fans and players identify with the sport from non-RL states and to differentiate it from SuperRugby / Rugby Union.

I have quite a few South American and Asian friends that live in Brisbane and they love going to Broncos, State of Origin and Wallabies games because they are an event when they are in town. I am constantly having to explain that the broncos and maroons play a different sport than the wallabies and all blacks.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I think you will find in northern England that the locals refer to rugby league as rugby. Maybe call it Elite rugby? It is rugby however a supremely better version of the rugby codes! It has happened to have been held back by its rival brother code for many decades.

I can't remember who it was but someone posted on another thread that we should call it Huddersball - haha I like it - the field of play could be called the 'Huddersfield' ;)

Stallion

First Grade
Yep and the ARLC even use it throughout Australia. I believe they have a 'Play NRL' program? Not a 'Play Rugby League' program. I am not saying I agree with them on that but it is about branding and having new fans and players identify with the sport from non-RL states and to differentiate it from SuperRugby / Rugby Union.

I have quite a few South American and Asian friends that live in Brisbane and they love going to Broncos, State of Origin and Wallabies games because they are an event when they are in town. I am constantly having to explain that the broncos and maroons play a different sport than the wallabies and all blacks.

Its rugby league or elite rugby if you like. Simple as that! A superior and improved form of the game that started as rugby. To differentiate, 'union' and 'league' names are adopted. Logical.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Its rugby league or elite rugby if you like. Simple as that! A superior and improved form of the game that started as rugby. To differentiate, 'union' and 'league' names are adopted. Logical.

Ive never understood the attachment to the word "Rugby"....

Its a wankery upper middle-class town south England. How does that represent this game in ANY way?!?!?

Stallion

First Grade
Ive never understood the attachment to the word "Rugby"....

Its a wankery upper middle-class town south England. How does that represent this game in ANY way?!?!?

Whether you like it or not, this game is a form of rugby. It has evolved into a clearly superior code of rugby and happens to be called rugby league.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Whether you like it or not, this game is a form of rugby. It has evolved into a clearly superior code of rugby and happens to be called rugby league.

Yeh, but this evolution didnt happen in Rugby...

Seems more appropriate to reference somewhere in North England (or Canada). Why the snobby south England town?

Stallion

First Grade
Yeh, but this evolution didnt happen in Rugby...

Seems more appropriate to reference somewhere in North England (or Canada). Why the snobby south England town?

That's the history this code has. It's what it is. It tells a story of rebellion and entrepreneurial endeavour. Its a code of rugby that deserves more and hopefully will one day!

adamkungl

Immortal
For anyone actually interested in the actual topic of South American footy...

Brazil, Colombia, Uruguay, Argentina, El Salvador and Chile are now all ranked nations due to their activities in the last 12 months.

Uruguay and El Salvador are yet to play a domestic match but I think this will be rectified within the next year or two, as well as more American nations joining the fray.
Mexico for example was due to play but pulled out late due to not being able to meet expenses. Ecuador and Peru are also likely to see some activity soon.

Stallion

First Grade
For anyone actually interested in the actual topic of South American footy...

Brazil, Colombia, Uruguay, Argentina, El Salvador and Chile are now all ranked nations due to their activities in the last 12 months.

Uruguay and El Salvador are yet to play a domestic match but I think this will be rectified within the next year or two, as well as more American nations joining the fray.
Mexico for example was due to play but pulled out late due to not being able to meet expenses. Ecuador and Peru are also likely to see some activity soon.

Great too know. Hope these fledgling rugby league nations are given a hand in some way? !

Latest posts