What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If Cronk joins the Roosters, the 2018 competition is over before it starts

Cletus

First Grade
I'm struggling to understand how we can afford Pearce, it seems like a really stupid buy considering we've paid billions for DCE. Hopefully the Roosters are paying half his wages.

AJB1102

First Grade
I'm struggling to understand how we can afford Pearce, it seems like a really stupid buy considering we've paid billions for DCE. Hopefully the Roosters are paying half his wages.

Chooks have stuck to the line that they wanted to keep him. He asked to leave.

Chooks aren't even paying half his Uber fare to Narrabeen, let alone any of his wages.

Danish

Referee

The trade came with free lessons in cap management by Uncle Nick

The departure of Mitchell Pearce from the Sydney Roosters means that the Roosters will have space in their salary cap for another marquee player --- perhaps Fiji international Jarryd Hayne, or French international Julien Bousquet.

papabear

Juniors
Chooks are going to be very very strong in 2018.

They have removed atleast three passes into the head a game.

yobbo84

First Grade
So let me see:
1. NRL state Roosters only have $400k salary cap available for 2018.
2. Roosters sign Cooper Cronk for approx $1m anyway.
3. Mitchell Pearce out of the goodness of his heart walks away from an $800k job without another one to go to guaranteed, meaning the Roosters don't need to pay him a cent.

Yep, I'm sure that's exactly how it played out. To be clear I don't care - good on the Roosters if they can get away with it. But they treat the public as fools (as do most clubs to be honest). The salary cap should be more transparent ala US sports.

2 weeks

Coach
I'm interested to see how this plays out.

Newy can apparently nearly double Manly & Cronulla's offers.

Manly 2 years @ $800 000 = $1.6 mill
Cronulla 3 years @ $800 000 = $2.4 mill
Newcastle 3 years @ $1.4 mill = $4.2 mill

Valheru

Coach
So let me see:
3. Mitchell Pearce out of the goodness of his heart walks away from an $800k job without another one to go to guaranteed, meaning the Roosters don't need to pay him a cent.

Yep, I'm sure that's exactly how it played out. To be clear I don't care - good on the Roosters if they can get away with it. But they treat the public as fools (as do most clubs to be honest). The salary cap should be more transparent ala US sports.

How do you believe it played out?

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Don't want him at the Broncos but the meltdowns in here would be epic if he did. So make it happen Wayne

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
I'm interested to see how this plays out.

Newy can apparently nearly double Manly & Cronulla's offers.

Manly 2 years @ $800 000 = $1.6 mill
Cronulla 3 years @ $800 000 = $2.4 mill
Newcastle 3 years @ $1.4 mill = $4.2 mill

Why on earth would Newcastle pay Pearce $1.4M per season? Halve that and that is about what he is worth. On a side note, I loved how Paul Gallen bagged out the Roosters for signing Cronk and disrepecting Pearce in the process. Then he comes out and says the Sharks would be interested if Pearce was to want a release. Wonder how Chad Townsend feels about that? All the PED's have affected Gallen's brain.

So let me see:

You forgot the part where the Roosters now supposedly have $1mill available under the cap to go and sign someone else...

2 weeks

Coach
Why on earth would Newcastle pay Pearce $1.4M per season? Halve that and that is about what he is worth. On a side note, I loved how Paul Gallen bagged out the Roosters for signing Cronk and disrepecting Pearce in the process. Then he comes out and says the Sharks would be interested if Pearce was to want a release. Wonder how Chad Townsend feels about that? All the PED's have affected Gallen's brain.

Are you asking me that question, or Knights fans?

The salary cap rules say clubs need to spend at least 90% of their salary cap each year, so Pearce is in a unique situation atm.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Are you asking me that question, or Knights fans?

The salary cap rules say clubs need to spend at least 90% of their salary cap each year, so Pearce is in a unique situation atm.

I get that, however surely they wouldn't spend anywhere near that on Pearce. I am sure they need to strengthen other positions as well and will look to spend some of that money elsewhere. Newcastle look a bit imbalanced. They have Brock Lamb, Connor Watson and Kalyn Ponga earmarked for 7,6 and 1 I expect.

Both Ponga and Watson can play 5/8 or fullback. Lamb looks a good prospect too and they also have Jack Cogger who looks a talent. Going for Pearce might make some sense in the short term, however they will likely lose one or both of Cogger and Lamb in the process who might have more upside.

2 weeks

Coach
I get that, however surely they wouldn't spend anywhere near that on Pearce. I am sure they need to strengthen other positions as well and will look to spend some of that money elsewhere. Newcastle look a bit imbalanced. They have Brock Lamb, Connor Watson and Kalyn Ponga earmarked for 7,6 and 1 I expect.

Both Ponga and Watson can play 5/8 or fullback. Lamb looks a good prospect too and they also have Jack Cogger who looks a talent. Going for Pearce might make some sense in the short term, however they will likely lose one or both of Cogger and Lamb in the process who might have more upside.

In your opinion.

They may value him more highly than you or I do.

It's quite simple.

Latest posts