What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Draw

POPEYE

Coach
Not as intruiging as a salary cap rorting testimonial game between the Cowboys and the Storm.
Can't prove the Cowboys are rorting the cap, if it wasn't for Waldron and Danks RL would be squeaky clean . . . ask the cops

First Grade
Can't prove the Cowboys are rorting the cap, if it wasn't for Waldron and Danks RL would be squeaky clean . . . ask the cops
You would think a purist would know it is Dank not Danks, there was only one of him.

Mister M

Juniors
Nope. The day the nrl sets its draw around what the afl is doing is the day we give up, start wearing singlets and prancing about a field like headless chooks

You should've given up years ago mate-- look at the way the Melbourne Storm finals games have been played over the last 3 years and there is NO consistent way for the finals matches to be scheduled.

Week 1
Storm Vs Parra (1 vs 4) - Sat 4:10pm game

Week 3
Storm Vs Broncos (1st Prelim) - Friday 8:15pm game

Week 1
Storm Vs Cowboys (1 vs 4) Sat 8:00pm game

Week 3
Storm Vs Raiders (1st Prelim) - Saturday 7:55pm game

Roosters Vs Storm (1 vs 4) (yes I understand it was an away game, but I'm using this as an example on how the 1 v 4 qualifier gets treated) - Friday 8pm game

Storm win that so become the home team for the first prelim

Week 3
Storm Vs. Cowboys (1st prelim)- Saturday 8pm game

So across the past three years the 1v4 qualifier and the 1st prelim have had 3 different combinations of games. Do you think it's a coincidence that all Storm home finals over the past three years have been when there's no AFL games on in Melbourne?

Especially when you look at the 1 v 4 game being played in Sydney on a Friday night in 2015, but not in the two years. May that've been due to the fact that Geelong Vs Hawthorn (2016) and Geelong Vs Richmond (2017) were at the MCG?

Or look at the annual Anzac Day clash between the Storm and the Warriors. Do you not think that the location and time slot has been chosen because it can pulls crowds across from the AFL Anzac Day (Essendon Vs Collingwood) game that happens beforehand?

Give it up mate!! The NRL has in the past manufactured their fixture (Home & Away and finals) around the AFL in Melbourne, I could even make a case they did it in Sydney with this years finals fixture if you want. They just didn't do it in the case of the Richmond Vs Carlton AFL R1 against the Storm Vs Cowboys NRL R3 because they lack any ability to look at history and predict anything unless the AFL spoon feeds them their fixture first.

Wait until 2018 and the NRL will go back to releasing their draw later, it was only done earlier this year so that it got media attention prior to the RLWC.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
If you want lower crowds than could be realised in melbourne that would be a good attitude for the NRL to take. After all the elite comp of RL dropping below a 15k avg should be no cause for concern right?
This is an awful take.

If we're talking NRL crowds in Melbourne, use the Storm's average, don't use the NRL-wide average to paint a shitter picture.

If you wonder why people bait you and drag you into stupid arguments - this is why. Grow up.

Timmah

Staff member
Give it up mate!! The NRL has in the past manufactured their fixture (Home & Away and finals) around the AFL in Melbourne, I could even make a case they did it in Sydney with this years finals fixture if you want. They just didn't do it in the case of the Richmond Vs Carlton AFL R1 against the Storm Vs Cowboys NRL R3 because they lack any ability to look at history and predict anything unless the AFL spoon feeds them their fixture first.

Wait until 2018 and the NRL will go back to releasing their draw later, it was only done earlier this year so that it got media attention prior to the RLWC.
Do you make room for the fact that perhaps the NRL just don't give a shit and are backing the game in to get 20k-odd or so anyway?

I get it appears to be sucky scheduling but it's done now and writing paragraphs of insulting rubbish to forummers who are challenging your opinion ain't gonna change it. Turn up, or don't. And tell everyone you know to, as well.

As for the draw, fairly confident the mid-to-late October date is likely to stay going forward based on what I know. Take it or leave it.

Pedge1971

First Grade
If Melbourne are obscure and pull the 2nd best average in the NRL in a city obsessed with another sport, what does that say about every team except brisbane where the NRL is supposedly the dominant sport?

Canberra - shit, ALL of the Sydney teams - worse, Newcastle - maybe sorta OK. NQ - small market but meh.

So Melbourne, who were 2nd in av attendance, are underperforming?

The NRL have to at least face the reality of Melbourne needing just a little assistance by not putting them directly up against a slam dunk blockbuster for another sport. It happens in TV. The other channels run away from competing against monster events.

Melbourne needing just a little assistance? Bahahahahahah!! Thats akin to Meninga saying the game has never done anything for him....

Mister M

Juniors
Do you make room for the fact that perhaps the NRL just don't give a shit and are backing the game in to get 20k-odd or so anyway?

I get it appears to be sucky scheduling but it's done now and writing paragraphs of insulting rubbish to forummers who are challenging your opinion ain't gonna change it. Turn up, or don't. And tell everyone you know to, as well.

As for the draw, fairly confident the mid-to-late October date is likely to stay going forward based on what I know. Take it or leave it.

Timmah, I'll remind you of a post that you directed towards me last January when you decided to continually direct "insulting rubbish" towards me because I challenged your opinion that a Friday 6pm game in Melbourne in 2017 was a good idea-- which side note, I was correct about- 11,070 fans to the first Storm game in Melbourne in over a month was a horrible crowd due to that time slot.

Sorry, I was under the impression we were here to discuss things. I don't agree with your point of view and I'm sharing that opinion.

Or is only a discussion when I agree with you and your view that the NRL is supreme and does everything right; compared to my view that they have taken steps in the past to improve the game in Melbourne but could do much more to grow it considering it's an expansion market with the biggest potential growth of any team in the league.

M2D2

Bench
because I challenged your opinion that a Friday 6pm game in Melbourne in 2017 was a good idea-- which side note, I was correct about- 11,070 fans to the first Storm game in Melbourne in over a month was a horrible crowd due to that time slot.
a 6pm game with bad attendance.
SAY IT ISNT SO.

M2D2

Bench
I know, I have no idea how even a year ago someone could've suggested that it was a good idea, regardless of the location.
The idea was that due to Melbournes Superior PT, It would be a better fit for the 6pm game.
But that timeslot is just f**ked when not on holiday weekends.

Perth Red

Post Whore
This is an awful take.

If we're talking NRL crowds in Melbourne, use the Storm's average, don't use the NRL-wide average to paint a shitter picture.

If you wonder why people bait you and drag you into stupid arguments - this is why. Grow up.

The nrl should be taking every single opportunity to maximise crowds if they don't want further embarrassment

Perth Red

Post Whore
I know, I have no idea how even a year ago someone could've suggested that it was a good idea, regardless of the location.

I'm not sure Timmah still believes it's a bad time slot for crowds lol he needs another few years before he is comfortable with the evidence

Timmah

Staff member
Or is only a discussion when I agree with you and your view that the NRL is supreme and does everything right; compared to my view that they have taken steps in the past to improve the game in Melbourne but could do much more to grow it considering it's an expansion market with the biggest potential growth of any team in the league.
I can't help it if you choose to cherry-pick the parts of my posts you're insulted by and ignore anything else.

Timmah

Staff member
Reads like a giant sook and some of the statistics are a bit overblown or falsified IMO.

Averaging FTA appearances to compare them to actual for next season is bizarre.

Overall the draw is ok. Not great, but ok. And better than previous years

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

Billythekid

First Grade
This draw highlights the fact that it doesn't matter if we have control of the draw when we agree to shit time slots in the TV deal. No matter what you do we still have to deal with Thursday night games and Friday 6pm games. This year the draw has done a little better in terms of getting big matches in good timeslots and I expect an improvement but the reality is we're still hamstrung by shitty timeslots.

Having said that the draw still leaves a lot to be desired. Putting big matches like sharks/dragons, roosters/rabbits and cowboys/broncos on a Thursdays night is a big f**k you to fans. Certain teams have been totally screwed over like the cowboys and knights.

Basically this is what I want to see improved in the future (I'm well aware some things can't change till the next TV deal).

-Big derby games should be given priority of timeslots. Preferably on Sunday arvos (except in the case of say the cowboys if they request a Saturday or Friday). Something like roosters v rabbits could lose as much as 20K from the crowd due to being on a Thursday.

-More even spread of FTA. Don't give me this bullshit about some teams rating more. They rate more because they're shown more. NRL fans are basically groomed to only watch certain teams. We need to go back to how things used to be, Friday should be match of the round not who's facing the bulldogs or broncos (and the select other few).

-SOO needs to be standalone and f**k off bye rounds. Hopefully this year it's a massive success and the NRL finally does what it should have done a decade ago.

-Remove Thursday games and Friday 6pm games. I don't care if it adds more to the TV deal, there are other factors to consider. The loss of TV money is offset by a huge increase in crowds, merchandise sales and various other factors. It also leads to less shitty crowds which are slowly driving fans away from the game on TV and at the ground.

I feel like writing more but it's pointless because nothing we say will impact anything and it's clear the NRL has made up its mind.

I'll say this, it wasn't just crowds that went backwards last season. Despite us bending over backwards for the TV networks ratings also dropped. There is only so much you can cater for TV and f**k over fans before people just tune out.

My opinion is that a lot of the changes we're suggesting to prove crowds will also improve TV ratings. Big crowds, a happy fan base and general positivity around the game lead to better TV ratings.

Thus goes across all codes, the big hyped matches with huge crowds tend to also rate really highly. It creates a great atmosphere and hype around the game.

Watching a match in an empty stadium turns fans away at the ground and at home and if we keep going down this path things will get worse.

typicalfan

Coach
Billy has it exactly right and until the attitude swings to this the game will suffer one way or another.

Latest posts