What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ref Chris James to sue NRL for unfair dismissal

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
LINK

Leading referee Chris James takes unfair dismissal action against NRL
Adrian Proszenko

One of rugby league's most experienced referees has launched an unfair dismissal claim against the NRL after he was allegedly sacked without explanation.

Chris James has officiated 228 first-grade games, including two semi-finals, for the NRL over the course of a decade. The veteran whistleblower oversaw 22 NRL games this year and claims that, as late as mid-July, was told he was in contention to referee the semi-finals. At a subsequent meeting on September 6, referees' boss Tony Archer is said to have commended James' performance and praised his work with younger referees.

However, he was axed just a month later in a move that ended 25 years in the refereeing ranks and prevented his family from being able to see him officiate in one final match.

James is seeking reinstatement or compensation, with the support of the Professional Rugby League Match Officials (PRLMO) and the trade union peak body, Unions NSW. It's understood James lodged his claim with the Fair Work Commission on Monday.

PRLMO chairman Silvio Del Vecchio said match officials deserved respect and recognition.

"Chris James is a first-rate referee who has given a significant chunk of his working life to the game," Del Vecchio said. "Yet he wasn't even permitted to invite his seven-year-old son to watch his final match.

"Referees are essential to NRL and yet in this case we see someone thrown on the scrap heap without explanation, let alone respect or recognition. It's indecent and we will fight it."

Unions NSW Secretary Mark Morey said the trade union movement would support James.

"Rugby league prides itself on working-class values. That should include treating its employees with decency and respect," Morey said. "You can't simply turf someone out of their job without explanation or dignity.

"This is a pioneering effort to bring respect and recognition to referees. Mr James has a very solid argument for a breach of contract and we hope that, win or lose, this will cascade into better general treatment of referees by the NRL."

Archer's controversial stint as referees boss is about to end as he prepares to vacate the role as part of a restructure of the whistleblowing department.

Archer is poised to take up the new role of national director of referees, effectively taking him out of the pressure cooker that is overseeing NRL match officials. While the NRL hasn't made a call on his replacement, the favourite is former referee and video referee Bernard Sutton.

Several sources have told Fairfax Media that morale is low within the refereeing ranks and the majority of officials would welcome a change at the top. However, it's unlikely Sutton – whose brothers Gerard and Chris are in the full-time squad – will be warmly greeted due to a belief little will change if he takes over.

Some of the game's biggest names, including Kangaroos captain Cameron Smith and seven-time premiership-winning England coach Wayne Bennett, have backed the one-referee system that is currently being used at the Rugby League World Cup. However, the NRL will be sticking with two whistleblowers for next season.

The NRL declined to comment on Monday night.

Danish

Referee
Honestly I had to google his name to see a picture of him and work out what ref this was (FYI he is the little bloke that looks like Grant Denyer).

The fact I had to do that probably speaks volumes to how good a ref he is, since he hasn't been involved in any of the typical rage inducing clangers that idiots like Sutton (take your pick which one I'm talking about), Badger, Cummins, or the rest of Archer's protected mates get away with every bloody year.

The_Shield

Juniors
Of all the refs that are there, they chose to get rid of Chris James. There are plenty of others that deserve to be shown the door before James. Tony Archer is the main one that needs to go

Saxon

Bench
I agree with earlier comments; James was one of the least noticeable refs and there was almost never any outcry about his performance from fans or clubland.
That's usually a fair indicator that a ref manages a game well.

Timbo

Staff member
The fact that I have no f**king idea who this guy is probably means he's at least competent.

Says more than Archer.

Reactions: Gm5

soc123_au

Staff member
Just as others have posted I had no idea he had refereed so many games. I recall his name at least. Other than that I cant remember a single game he has officiated. The merkin must be the best ref in the history of everything. All hail the faceless referee.

Gm5

Juniors
Like everyone else the only refs names I can recall on top of my head are the shit ones. So this guy can't be too bad really

no name

Coach
This is all on Archer.
He obviously can't deliver constructive criticism of his crew, as he probably sees it of a reflection of his flaws.
The fact that Archer comes out publicly and bangs on about the percentage of decisions the refs have got right when some areas of the game are clearly subjective, shows the mindset he has. More worried about giving himself a pat on the back than improving his team.
Any coach/teacher/manager/supervisor knows that delivering any such drastic action shouldn't be a surprise.

thorson1987

Coach
He was a ref in my junior league and was still there when I reffed, guess that's why I noticed him so much.