What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ashes Cricket

A break through has been made

118 of 110 followed by a brief cameo in the second innings of 50 from 18

We still lost by an innings and 40 runs because our f**kwit captain chose to bowl

They had a bloke score 233

hellteam

First Grade
In career batting mode do you still need to watch your partner (computer) bat whilst you stand at the bowler's end? That used to test my patience

Storm13

Juniors
In my second season in club cricket still but now averaging 50 instead of 30 compared to first season.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Thought it was a company wide policy that EB price matched?

Anyway, I picked this up yesterday from Target and its pretty good. DRS Reviews are super hard though without the confidence level meter from the last game

axl rose

Bench
Way better than DBC17, but what isn't.
Playable but f**k me the commentary is completely insane. Slater must have had epilepsy, tourettes and bipolar all at once when recording his lines.

Ha of all the things to get lifelike they nail that aspect perfectly

RoosTah

Juniors
Looks like Big Ant have done things well this time. The game development looks more thought out the graphics seem good considering their budget and their marketing campaign shits on what happened to the NRL game. Cricket Australia's been sharing all of their content advertising it. I don't think the NRL ever did that once.

Makes me think part of the problems with NRL games weren't Big Ant.
From what I hear Cricket Australia invested in this game and wanted to use it as part of their marketing strategy for the Ashes. That’s quite different to BigAnt’s relationship with the NRL, where the NRL hasn’t understood the marketing potential of a high quality sports sim for their code

I'm a fringe member of tigers shield team, on the verge of the ryobi? Cup and BBL finally making scores and taking wickets

Loving the cracked up pitch on day 3 when it comes, but bowling is still frustrating

nöyd

Staff member
That’s quite different to BigAnt’s relationship with the NRL, where the NRL hasn’t understood the marketing potential of a high quality sports sim for their code

Perhaps the NRL does understand the marketing potential of a high quality sports sim for their code.

They're just waiting for someone to make one.

RoosTah

Juniors
Perhaps the NRL does understand the marketing potential of a high quality sports sim for their code.

They're just waiting for someone to make one.
If they are and they're not willing to invest themselves, all their marketing people must have got their qualifications on a Chinese website.

Seriously, if the NRL are that f**king geniused that they think a Madden quality game is gonna appear for a sport like ours played seriously in a couple regions of just two countries, then there's no hope for them. Compare this cricket game to League - with it's narrow Aus-Eng focus you think it might be limiting, but that already puts its profit potential FAR higher than an League game because Cricket is massive across THE WHOLE of the UK and Australia, and then cricket fans in the rest of the cricket world will still wanna give it a try.

I've said it a million times, but Rugby League has nothing REMOTELY like the market size necessary to produce video games of anything beyond a passable quality; to get that requires direct intervention and investment from the code itself.

If they are and they're not willing to invest themselves, all their marketing people must have got their qualifications on a Chinese website.

Seriously, if the NRL are that f**king geniused that they think a Madden quality game is gonna appear for a sport like ours played seriously in a couple regions of just two countries, then there's no hope for them. Compare this cricket game to League - with it's narrow Aus-Eng focus you think it might be limiting, but that already puts its profit potential FAR higher than an League game because Cricket is massive across THE WHOLE of the UK and Australia, and then cricket fans in the rest of the cricket world will still wanna give it a try.

I've said it a million times, but Rugby League has nothing REMOTELY like the market size necessary to produce video games of anything beyond a passable quality; to get that requires direct intervention and investment from the code itself.
If they made yawnion they could adapt the same engine and change the rules,you're grabbing 2 markets at the same time,however small

RoosTah

Juniors
If they made yawnion they could adapt the same engine and change the rules,you're grabbing 2 markets at the same time,however small
Potentially, but League is much more suited to the video game format than Union and realistically should be much easier to translate.

If I had my way, I'd be getting the NRL to license EA's Madden Software to adapt the code and partner with BigAnt to create a truly world class product. EA wouldn't want to lose too many of their key people, so it'd be a model whereby you built on the work of BigAnt but with much more expensive software and coders and designers with experience on massive projects.

Potentially, but League is much more suited to the video game format than Union and realistically should be much easier to translate.

If I had my way, I'd be getting the NRL to license EA's Madden Software to adapt the code and partner with BigAnt to create a truly world class product. EA wouldn't want to lose too many of their key people, so it'd be a model whereby you built on the work of BigAnt but with much more expensive software and coders and designers with experience on massive projects.
EA

I'm not sure i trust them anymore with the lootbox fiasco and speed cards

I think they're out of touch and Madden 18 has been widely panned

RoosTah

Juniors
EA

I'm not sure i trust them anymore with the lootbox fiasco and speed cards

I think they're out of touch and Madden 18 has been widely panned
Yeah that whole Star Wars thing is a fiasco I agree and frankly when they’ve made smaller sports titles in the past they’ve done absolute shit work because they tend to farm them out to small devs and then give them bugger all resources on unrealistic deadlines (their first few union games were far worse than anything Sidhe or BigAnt ever did with League).

That said, Madden has mostly been bagged by some because all it does is make the game a bit prettier this year without much else apart from the new weird story mode thing. But that said, it’s still a very good game that represents the sport brilliantly for the most part.

In any case, the way it would work with the NRL wouldn’t be to give over creative control to EA, but just get access to their tech and know how. EA wouldn’t ever bother making a League game, but with their tools and NRL funding and support, another developer may well be able to creat something quite special

redvscotty

First Grade
The Star Wars thing will not be the death of EA. It is but a minor set back.

Anyway, I'm keen to try this cricket game out. Should I get it?

Loved DBC 14 (played over 200 hours) but didnt get 17 due to the poor reviews.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Have sunk many many hours into this game recently. Career mode is quite addictive.

One question I have though for other players is - Are you any of you playing with any other international countries besides England and Australia?

Is there anyway to get around the licensing issues and have it so that you are coming up against the actual players (at least in name)

RoosTah

Juniors
The Star Wars thing will not be the death of EA. It is but a minor set back.

Anyway, I'm keen to try this cricket game out. Should I get it?

Loved DBC 14 (played over 200 hours) but didnt get 17 due to the poor reviews.
Get it. I hated DB17 but this is really easy to play but very deep at the same time. Thoroughly enjoyable to both bat and bowl too

Latest posts