What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 RLWC - SF2 - TON 18-20 ENG @ Auckland

Semi Final Result: TON v ENG

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RoosTah

Juniors
Anyone defending the referee in this instance gives absolutely zero f**ks about Rugby League. Regardless of whether or not it's a knock on, it should've been reviewed and it's that simple. You can't go back and blame other things that happened in the game because the fact of the matter Is, that call from the ref is what decided the match, nothing else. If it goes upstairs Tonga win the game...anyone who thinks otherwise are either biased or just plain deluded
Getting a bit emotional there mate. I watch A LOT of rugby league and if there’s one thing I’ve noticed over the past ten years it’s that referees now as an almost unwritten rule NEVER EVER given the benefit of doubt to the attacking player if it remotely looks like a loose carry or even if the ball clearly goes backwards.

Actually seriously annoys me, but whilst once upon a time refs would let play go unless it was blatantly forward now it’s 100% ruled a knock on in almost every situation bar a player actively tearing the ball free in a wrestle or a player clearly knocking the ball back intentionally. Everything else is now a knock on now.

It annoys the crap out of me, but you’re the deluded one if you don’t see that that’s the way the game has been officiated for years.

no name

Coach
I'm happy for Checcin to call it as a knock on and not go to the VR, I feel that plays like that are ruled very inconsistently and that is frustrating as f**k. (See Ropati try in '08 World Cup)

The absolutely pissweak penalties he gave for Burgess throwing the ball away and the non-strip call on Fifita were out and out incorrect calls.

In saying that, Tonga have their own stupidity, lack of composure and Toupo to blame for their loss.

The one Fifita held up is the real issue I think. Went up no try and I didn't see an angle that said otherwise. I was also 10 beers deep and could be wrong

Reactions: Vee

RoosTah

Juniors
I don't get all this Tonga deserve to be in the final.

How do fans think getting outplayed for 70 minutes and only deciding to play in the final 10 minutes deserve a final place?
Don’t think you can say England outplayed them for 70 mins. Tonga basically bombed 3 certain tries, with the Tupou dropped ball being the most egregious. Had they not let the occasion get to them it could well have been 18-20 with 10 to go rather than with 1 minute to go. England were stoic in defence, but Tonga’s sloppy finishing also played its part. Australia won’t be that charitable next week.

RoosTah

Juniors
Dude it was 20-0 at 70mins.....they where outplayed for 70mins...it's a fair assessment.
If a side creates 3 almost certain try scoring opportunities and bombs them they’re not being dominated, they’re just executing poorly. Jennings, fusitua and Tupou basically all bombed almost certain tries. If Tonga were a more finished product they score those. The fact they didn’t says more about them than it does England, and the fact they arguably should have scored each time undermines the notion that England dominated the game until then.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
I don't get all this Tonga deserve to be in the final.

How do fans think getting outplayed for 70 minutes and only deciding to play in the final 10 minutes deserve a final place?
The way you put it makes it a fair point. Games 80 minutes though and depending on the score line, it can be won in 10 minutes.

Whats a strip for us in 2008, was deemed a loose carry by Tonga in 2017.

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach
The one Fifita held up is the real issue I think. Went up no try and I didn't see an angle that said otherwise. I was also 10 beers deep and could be wrong

It went up for double movement not grounding. Widdop wasn’t tackled when his arm was on the ground.

Vee

First Grade
Different standard to the NRL. While it looked like he probably grounded it, There was insufficient evidence to overturn the NoTry call.

Pig Champion

Juniors
That was single handedly the best game of rugby league I have been to. The crowd was amazing and the atmosphere was awesome.

f**k origin, f**k the nrl grand final. There needs to be pacific tests at mt smart several times a year.
Mate, that singing after the game must have blown you away, it was unreal on the screen.

Bronco18

Juniors
The fact that we can argue both ways on a match deciding to incident shows we need to remove this grey area from the game.

Get rid of the strip rule, put all the onus on the ball carrier.

The term 50/50 penalty is a major turn off and this is one of the few areas that can be easily cleaned up.

Billythekid

First Grade
I hate the strip rule. The onus should always be on the ball carrier and then we could sip all these bullshit penalties for dropped balls

Having said that with the way the rule is currently governed I think it was a harsh call.

Whatever the see that was one of the best games of league I have ever seen and the atmosphere was like nothing I've seen before. If we saw more of that league would be in a great place worldwide.

Pommy

Coach
Different standard to the NRL. While it looked like he probably grounded it, There was insufficient evidence to overturn the NoTry call.

But the no try call was for double movement, he didn’t ask for the grounding to be checked.